Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

West Ham agree Upton Park sale deal with Galliard Group

Not a fan of wet spam but you've got to feel sorry for some of their fans. A lot of history being sold off to move into their white elephant. They will never fill it.

West Ham have agreed to sell Upton Park to London developer the Galliard Group once they have completed their move to the Olympic Stadium in 2016.

The Hammers said they chose the group for its "close links to the community".

Vice-chairman Karren Brady said the deal demonstrated the club had kept its promise to regenerate two areas of east London through its stadium move.

The developer plans to build new homes on the site as well as retail and leisure facilities by 2018.

The Hammers played their first match there in 1904
Its official name is the Boleyn Ground, however it is commonly called Upton Park after the area it is located in
It has a capacity of 35,000
It has also been in talks with the family of former West Ham and England captain Bobby Moore about the possibility of placing a landscaped garden named in his honour at the centre of the site, as well as a statue of him.

In a statement, Moore's daughter Roberta Moore said: "I have always believed that there should be some form of permanent West Ham United presence at the Boleyn Ground site after the team leave and I'm really pleased that the centre point of the development is planned to be named in honour of my father."

Comments

• Options
    No going back
  • Options
    Like it or not another bit of our history gone as well.
  • Options
    shame .. my eldest son will be devastated .. the Boleyn to him was as Mecca is to a Muslim
  • Options
    Not often i feel sorry for West Ham fans but having to watch a Big Sam style of team whilst their soul is sold by their corrupt owners.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Gone with a whimper, no effort from the West Ham fans, too late now...
  • Options
    They dont need to sell it out though.
  • Options
    Used to go a few times in the mid 1960's. 96 bus to Woolwich Ferry, over the water to Silvertown, then a bus up to the game. Lovely compact ground, the "chicken run" was it called, on one side? Proper soulless place they are going to now. Atmosphere will be awful. They call it progress I believe.
  • Options
    Upton Park hasn't been the same since the botched redevelopment under Terry Brown, with the Chicken Run and east stand dumped miles away from the pitch
  • Options

shame .. my eldest son will be devastated .. the Boleyn to him was as Mecca is to a Muslim

tellmamauk.org/west-ham-supporters-turn-on-fellow-supporters-who-happen-to-be-muslim/

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I have often had a quiet prayer to myself during games over many years of going to the Valley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would have like them to go down this year as I would have liked to have visited with charlton one last time.
  • Options
    So many claim to regenerate the area what a load of waffle they'll put in a tescos express a few nice apartments call it regenerate close to the tube sell half the blocks privately for £300,000.00 and give the rest over as HA.

It'll still be a dump in other words
  • Options
    There's already a Tesco Metro down the road. And a Tesco Express down the other end. And a Tesco Express 10 minutes down the road near Plaistow. Shit, they're going to put in another Tesco Express aren't they.
  • Options
    Caught sight of an early edition of the Standard on the way back to the office from a meeting earlier. According to the front page headline, they're putting 700 homes on the site!

That sounds like a few tower blocks, rather than too many luxury apartments...although maybe I am worng and with the added draw of a cosy traditional east end pub like The Queens on the doorstep, who could possibly resist!?!
  • Options
    How long before one of their shite radio adverts for Galliard homes ?
  • Options
    Its going to be a village, apparently. Not my idea of a village but hayho.
  • Options

Its going to be a village, apparently. Not my idea of a village but hayho.

Are they leaving their idiots, or has this new village got to find its' own?? ;-)
  • Options
    worst move ever. Upton Park is a nice ground
  • Options
    Would The Valley be worth more than Upton Park.. Hypothetically speaking. North of the Thames v South.... Not sure if their site would be bigger??
  • Options
    If the Olympic park had been built on our side of the river would you have been up for trading it for the Valley ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    one of the most atmospheric and great old English grounds, I will miss going there , and I thoroughly enjoyed us sharing there, as mentioned above upton park treated us well , we had some great games there and john Hendrie scoring against the small will few was one of them, will make sure I get back over there to say my goodbyes before the wet spam leave for good and thank the old girl for its hospitality
  • Options
    edited February 2014

one of the most atmospheric and great old English grounds, I will miss going there , and I thoroughly enjoyed us sharing there, as mentioned above upton park treated us well , we had some great games there and john Hendrie scoring against the small will few was one of them, will make sure I get back over there to say my goodbyes before the wet spam leave for good and thank the old girl for its hospitality

Wish I could agree, my abiding memory is the 4-0 (5-0?) thrashing we got off them on boxing day game around the turn of the century.

I guess the nostalgia is perhaps from blokes from an older generation, now it's just a rubbish ground full of Essex outcasts in a terrible area with worse pubs than Charlton !
  • Options
    It was 5-0 and it was freezing!!

Have to agree with NLA though. I have fond memories because we knew at that stage that we were coming home. That alone made the travelling over there all the more bearable and we had some decent results there too.
  • Options

Nice post N L A yes I also think they treated us well .
  • Options
    That 5-0 was one of the few times we lost over there, a happy hunting ground for us.
  • Options

But then the current Upton Park isn't the one we enjoyed in 1991/92. I've been on 3 sides of the old Upton Park, but never on the Chicken Run side!
  • Options
    The Upton Park of the pre 00's was a great ground. They fucked up big time when they redeveloped it, with the Disneyland turrets n all, ludicrous. Whilst having no affinity with the Irons and despising the dildo salesman now in charge, I hope it works out for a good London club.
  • Options
    Was at the 5 nil mate aswell but we had some great results there against west ham I seem to recall better luck against them in cup matches but that might be the wrong way rd and it was league games we had more success

Might head into that little ciu club just outside the ground

and the cafc vs leicester game is one of folk law for guys my age

Some brilliant nights under the flood lights it really was proper football back then

And the fact we were going home was a big factor but we also had a bit of respect for west ham and them for us if I recall remember meeting a fair few of theirs that my old man knew and they spoke quite highly of some of our older more colourful fans
  • Options
    We always beat them in the league, they beat us in the cup.