Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

West Ham agree Upton Park sale deal with Galliard Group

2»

Comments

• Options

Was at the 5 nil mate aswell but we had some great results there against west ham I seem to recall better luck against them in cup matches but that might be the wrong way rd and it was league games we had more success

Might head into that little ciu club just outside the ground

and the cafc vs leicester game is one of folk law for guys my age

Some brilliant nights under the flood lights it really was proper football back then

And the fact we were going home was a big factor but we also had a bit of respect for west ham and them for us if I recall remember meeting a fair few of theirs that my old man knew and they spoke quite highly of some of our older more colourful fans

They just kept coming and coming didn't they, just like fucking Zulu!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Great memories of Upton Park. As mentioned above, Hendrie against Millwall and David Whyte (I think against Leicester?), copper being thrown off his horse along the road outside as it went on a rampage!

I've got a few West Ham mates and used to go along with them back in the late 80's/early 90's. Some cracking games/atmos under the floodlights.

Always liked the ground and I for one will be sad to see it go.
  • Options

Was at the 5 nil mate aswell but we had some great results there against west ham I seem to recall better luck against them in cup matches but that might be the wrong way rd and it was league games we had more success

Might head into that little ciu club just outside the ground

and the cafc vs leicester game is one of folk law for guys my age

Some brilliant nights under the flood lights it really was proper football back then

And the fact we were going home was a big factor but we also had a bit of respect for west ham and them for us if I recall remember meeting a fair few of theirs that my old man knew and they spoke quite highly of some of our older more colourful fans

They just kept coming and coming didn't they, just like fucking Zulu!
    You couldn't imagine fans being led across the pitch to an empty stand now!
    When we played Newcastle the next season, the West (main) Stand was full of their supporters, I think things were a bit disorganised around that time!
  • Options

...are the taxpayers of the UK still funding their move to the Olympic stadium for them? Absolute f***ing disgrace - every single penny they earn from the sale of the ground should go to the local council, who should be forced to spend every single penny of that on 100% affordable housing.

My thoughts as well, any money from the sell off of Upton Park should be put into the \olympic stadium conversion reducing the public investment and maybe a couple of bob to Orient too
  • Options
    I hate West Ham (yet funnily enough not their fans in general) and the only consolation for me is that they are almost certainly going to struggle to fill the ground and it might well kill the club softly over a ten or twenty year period.

If we'd not come back to The Valley I suspect we would now be a struggling third or forth division club with no real chance of ever growing.

Fingers crossed it happens to them!
  • Options
    Some ghastly results while lodging at Upton Park - losing to Cambridge, Bury, Grimsby, Tranmere...
  • Options
    Has it been made public how much they are getting for the sale of the Boleyn?
  • Options
    It is understood the purchase price fell short of the £71.2million the stadium is valued at in club accounts.
    No financial details have been disclosed but a report in the London Evening Standard suggests that the club will raise less than the £71.2 million the 35,016 all-seater stadium is valued at in its accounts.
    Once the site has been fully developed experts expect it to eventually be worth hundreds of millions of pounds with the apartments expected to prove attractive to fans, investors and other buyers desperate to get a foothold in the London property market.
    Blocks of apartments will be built around central public gardens where the pitch is currently laid, following the example set by Arsenal’s former Highbury stadium home in Islington, north London.

• Options
    At one time it was reported that Newham council were contributing £40 million to the move has this now been scrapped due to protests from ratepayers ?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    TelMc32 said:

It was 5-0 and it was freezing!!

Have to agree with NLA though. I have fond memories because we knew at that stage that we were coming home. That alone made the travelling over there all the more bearable and we had some decent results there too.

That 5-0 defeat was actually a turning point for us. Straight after that game Curbs called Spotty Parker back from his loan spell at Norwich & we then went up to Maine Road a couple of days later & beat Manchester City 3-1. Happy days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2014

TelMc32 said:

Have to agree with NLA though. I have fond memories because we knew at that stage that we were coming home. That alone made the travelling over there all the more bearable and we had some decent results there too.

That 5-0 defeat was actually a turning point for us. Straight after that game Curbs called Spotty Parker back from his loan spell at Norwich & we then went up to Maine Road a couple of days later & beat Manchester City 3-1. Happy days.
    I thought we won that ganme 4-1? Was that not the game that CLaus Jensen scored from about forty yards?

However, eitjer way you are right, it was Happy days!
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

I thought we won that ganme 4-1? Was that not the game that CLaus Jensen scored from about forty yards?

However, eitjer way you are right, it was Happy days!
    Yes, it was that game. You may be right about the score. My memory is not what it used to be!!
  • Options

It is understood the purchase price fell short of the £71.2million the stadium is valued at in club accounts.
    No financial details have been disclosed but a report in the London Evening Standard suggests that the club will raise less than the £71.2 million the 35,016 all-seater stadium is valued at in its accounts.
    Once the site has been fully developed experts expect it to eventually be worth hundreds of millions of pounds with the apartments expected to prove attractive to fans, investors and other buyers desperate to get a foothold in the London property market.
    Blocks of apartments will be built around central public gardens where the pitch is currently laid, following the example set by Arsenal’s former Highbury stadium home in Islington, north London.

Thanks Absurdistan.

• Options
    edited February 2014

At one time it was reported that Newham council were contributing £40 million to the move has this now been scrapped due to protests from ratepayers ?

No it has not been scrapped. Neither has the £180 million of our money that will be used to make it fit for them to use. Nor the ridiculous rent of 2.5m which is not linked to inflation. So West Ham will have plenty of money available to offer FAPL tickets at dumping prices in North Kent.

All this at the whim of that great " free marketeer" Boris Johnson
  • Options

No.