Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MP's Vote in Favour of Car/kids Smoking Ban...

Not necessarily to become law but gives the government an easy path if they want to.

Comments

• Options
    I don't believe in such sort of legislation as as Dave said above you'd like to think we were civilised enough to know when and where not to smoke.
    However if I was an MP I would find it very difficult to oppose the Bill, Nick Clegg didn't though....
  • Options
    good thing .. passive smoking causes diseases
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Unenforceable but do not let that stop us passing more laws. It's at moments like this that you fear evolution has slapped itself into reverse gear. What sort of nubbin would smoke around kids anywhere, let alone in a confined space? As a society we are what we are I suppose.
  • Options
    Totally agree with this...smoking with any passengers shows a complete lack of respect imo. But smoking with your own kids in the car is a disgrace
  • Options
    Shouldn't need to be made law really but unfortunately it does.
  • Options
    I remember back in the 70's my mum driving me and my two sisters around in her little Hillman Imp and the car being full of her cigarette smoke. Appalling when you think about it now but the norm back then.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Does it ? Does anyone actually do this ? Genuine question as I'd be utterly apalled if anyone was so selfish that they'd endanger a child's health for their own satisfaction.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

buckshee said:

Does it ? Does anyone actually do this ? Genuine question as I'd be utterly apalled if anyone was so selfish that they'd endanger a child's health for their own satisfaction.

loads, mainly mums. As a non driver i travel a lot on the top deck of buses and you see it all the time. That and texting.
  • Options
    Walked past a guy with a pram and a cigarette last week. Told him it was a silly thing to do. He chased me into Waitrose.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

se9addick said:

buckshee said:

loads, mainly mums. As a non driver i travel a lot on the top deck of buses and you see it all the time. That and texting.
    Shocking.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Walked past a guy with a pram and a cigarette last week. Told him it was a silly thing to do. He chased me into Waitrose.

Is Waitrose some sort of "safe house" then or just a place where only the posh are allowed to go?

• Options

I remember back in the 70's my mum driving me and my two sisters around in her little Hillman Imp and the car being full of her cigarette smoke. Appalling when you think about it now but the norm back then.

Yeah my Dad had never heard of Mirror, Signal, Manoevre, he had Light Up, Puff Away, Pull Away.
  • Options

Indeed, me and my brother used to be in the backseat of my Grandad's Allegro whilst he puffed away on his B&H, didn't think anything of it really!
  • Options
    edited February 2014

JiMMy 85 said:

Is Waitrose some sort of "safe house" then or just a place where only the posh are allowed to go?

In hindsight I could've said 'shop' but I guess I didn't realise how sensitive you are about supermarkets.
  • Options
    See a woman nearly every morning leaning against her car furiously puffing away while her two bored kids sit in the car waiting for her to finish before she takes them to school.

How she can get any enjoyment from that fag is beyond me, but as a former smoker I know all forms of logic goes out the window. Just wished it was total banned tbh, for everyone's good, smokers and non smokers
  • Options
    Very difficult to enforce. In fact could prove more dangerous (fire hazard) as smokers hold lit ciggies by their legs or dresses to try to keep them out of view of the police. Gov would be better off showing the terrible effects that cancer and emphysema has on young and old in an extreme way to try to convince anyone moronic enough to be doing it to stop.
  • Options
    The same law was passed in Australia in 2009. Sadly there was uproar here too about the rights of smokers. I was a smoker back then with 2 young kids and I would never have dreamed of smoking in the car with them in it.

Sadly its true that its generally the mums in their 4x4s that couldn't give a monkeys about their kids health. My old dad used to smoke in the car with us years ago but there is so much more education about it now.
  • Options
    Sadly I see it all the time , I've seen cars go past with baby and kids in with both parents smoking. I've seen people smoking whilst holding babies, I've even seen people smoking joints in car with kids, unfortunately this scummy behaviour is seen everywhere but they feel that it's their car, it's their kids and it's their choice. Not much else we can do about it so the government making it illegal will hopefully make them see sense.
  • Options
    I listen to BBC london on internet radio when driving to work, there was some clown on there the other day complaining that the rights of smokers were being taken away because of this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The fact a law needs to be passed is a bit tragic

Who enforces it though?
  • Options
    I used to rent a property to a young single-mother and went round there to collect the rent.

I went into the lounge room and could barely see the walls because the smoke was so thick and the floor was covered in booze bottles and take-away boxes.

I knew she'd just had a second child with her new partner so asked where the baby was, she pointed to the middle of the room where the poor little bastard was sat in his "rocker" (probably about six weeks old) breathing in the putrid air.

As an aside, it was about 25 degrees and sunny outside as the loser boyfriend sat in his arm-chair puffing away.

You need a license for a dog, don't you?
  • Options
    How exactly can this be enforced though ?
  • Options
    I smoke but never ever in the car when the kids are in it and also when indoors even on my own I go outside asi hate the smell getting on clothes and property, it's filth I think but am slowly winning my battle against it
  • Options
    sseaddick said:

Simple, Copper sees offence being commited, pulls car over and gives offender the infringement. Offender doesn't pay fine, take offender to court.

• Options
    Can't believe there's people out there even arguing this. You'd think even people who do it without thinking would just say fair enough its a silly thing to do.
  • Options
    Enforcement may prove tricky, but that's no reason not to have it as a law.
  • Options
    Agreed stig
  • Options
    leefender said:

sseaddick said:

Simple, Copper sees offence being commited, pulls car over and gives offender the infringement. Offender doesn't pay fine, take offender to court.

It would be quite easy to hide it if the offender saw a police car though don't you think?
    Unless they were in unmarked cars but that would be a tad extreme. With the cuts to the police force this would just waste more police officers time and resources, just like the current law on cannabis and other soft drugs but that is another debate.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

But what's so bad with it if he's outside and not blowing the smoke into the pram? Might as well say that anyone walking down the street smoking should cross the street if anyone is walking towards their direction, especially if the have a pram...................