Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Missing Friend

13»

Comments

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

You're all very kind, but I have to admit, if I'd stayed in touch with him a bit more regularly I wouldn't have been so surprised by the turn of events.

The best thing to come out of this is that he's made a choice to go back. After avoiding his meds and such for a month, this is the first time that he's accepted, even sought help. It's very promising.

Again, thank you for your advice and ideas, too many to name check but I read all of them and took it all on board. Onwards and upwards!

Thanks for keeping us updated on this. What you've said here has made me make sure that I make more of an effort with one of my best friends who has similar issues. I would consider myself possibly his best friend (his only friend in London) but he goes off the radar for up to a month at a time sometimes (not missing or in trouble) but just doesn't contact anyone at all. He will make plans and then on the day say "he doesn't feel like it, sorry boy" but when he's on form he's the funniest person on earth. Sometimes I feel like I can't keep trying because he just isn't interested in talking to me, but if I didn't I don't think anyone would (he's in London away from family etc).

He's one of these characters who come across as slightly weird but has an intelligence in his humour and he really is a fantastic guy. As soon as I saw this thread I just thought this is exactly the kind of thing my friend could end up doing.

You've made me realise I have to do all I can to keep in touch. Thanks Jimmy.
  • Options
    So pleased for you and your friend Jimmy.
  • Options

Get a photo and put it out on twitter, it's a great way to raise awareness.

Twitter and faceache ruined this country. Post something that someone takes offence to and you end up
    Getting nicked. I would never use those sites all your doing is posting your whole life for the world to see. Saddos Facebook users are.

It's like "look at me look how many friends I have ooooo I'm so popular"

Employers etc look at facebook. See what your like.

Sorry rant over I just f-ing hate facebook an twitter. Don't use it keep your private life private man!!
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Why would he take £200 out to commit suicide? I think He has planned to do something with that money. Hotel somewhere having a break enjoying his liberty somewhere etc.

Someone on that walk needs sacking.

A few beers, something to eat, a night in a B&B and a couple of bottles of Vodka with 200 paracetamol. That should take care of most of his £200.
    Am I missing something? Or are you just being a complete arsehole?
    Yes you were missing something.

I have a friend that did something very much like what I described. It was only pure luck that he was found before a stomach pump wouldn't have made any difference.

As much as we all hope for the best if we don't, at least in some small part, plan for the worst we might regret it.

Depression cannot be understood by those that have not suffered from it. Making logical predictions as to the actions of someone that has depression can be very dangerous.

On a separate note I, like all the others on here, am happy that he is ok - more so that he decided to go back as we all know the implications of him making that decision.

I didn't set out to upset or offend anyone and if I have then I apologise, sincerely, but I have made complacent decisions in my life, justified by sound logic but motivated by the lack of desire to face up to unpleasant truths. I regret some of those decisions almost every day. The temptation is to tell ourselves that it will be alright, sometimes it isn't and the sooner we face up to it the better the chances are that we can influence the outcome.

Again, Jimmy, I think you have demonstrated that you are a good and caring friend, and I'm please that you have a positive outcome.

• Options
    Nice one jimmy, onwards and upwards now
  • Options
    I thought maybe he'd taken the money to go see charlton play at Wendies, but he's obviously not that depressed ;-)

Glad he's turned up safe & sound mate. Much more likely to get better now he's gone back on his own free will.....................
  • Options
    Great news Jimmy - I hope things go well for you and your friend.
  • Options
    Maybe this worrying incident is a wake up call for some of us.

Family - we love unconditionally, even though we may not always like them.

Friends - we can take for granted but often it's those who are not bound to us by blood that we turn to in times of need.

And we should cherish them.
  • Options
    MSE7 said:

Get a photo and put it out on twitter, it's a great way to raise awareness.

Twitter and faceache ruined this country. Post something that someone takes offence to and you end up
    Getting nicked. I would never use those sites all your doing is posting your whole life for the world to see. Saddos Facebook users are.

It's like "look at me look how many friends I have ooooo I'm so popular"

Employers etc look at facebook. See what your like.

Sorry rant over I just f-ing hate facebook an twitter. Don't use it keep your private life private man!!
    But completely irrelevant to this thread. Facebook and Twitter could have helped locate the gent in this instance.

Use of social media is down to you. You don't have to announce everything on it.