Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

True Detective

Just started it. It sounded like a standard US procedural to me, I wondered what it was that was hooking people in.

But for me, it took about five minutes and bam, a potential new front runner in the 'best TV show you currently watch' category, one that isn't going to spoon-feed the subtler areas of the plot. So I'll probably need to watch it again. Which is fine!

Anyone else given it a shot yet?

Comments

• I'm waiting for it to get onto Sky (Atlantic I think) next week. Trailers look outstanding. One that we definitely have lined up to follow.
  • Finally got around to watching the first two episodes last night, and was not disappointed. Will definitely be trying to watch a further two episodes tonight if I get time.

Also Alexandra Daddario probably has the most fantastic pair of breasts I have ever seen.

Also Alexandra Daddario probably has the most fantastic pair of breasts I have ever seen.

Nice err, eyes also...
  • Watched the first one this week and enjoyed it. if you like this show I'd recommend Hannibal as well. Very similar.
  • Going to leave it and watch them all when the season's finished. Been looking forward to it for weeks. Great cast, great storyline. How long before people call it 'the new Breaking Bad'?
  • Going to leave it and watch them all when the season's finished. Been looking forward to it for weeks. Great cast, great storyline. How long before people call it 'the new Breaking Bad'?

I think everyone is already, though they are not really comparable in tone or story.

Nice err, eyes also...
    Ha ha, honestly I am trying not to sound vulgar or like I am spewing 'lads banter' but they really are fantastic.
  • Halfway through Breaking Bad...but....meh. Overrated. Sopranos is the benchmark.
  • None of these are a patch on Howards Way, still my favourite.
  • Great show, but can be a bit slow in the opening few episodes.

Really picks up from episode 3 so give it time, Mcconaughey great again, he's on fine form recently.
  • Great show, but can be a bit slow in the opening few episodes.

Really picks up from episode 3 so give it time, Mcconaughey great again, he's on fine form recently.

Usually can't stand him but with this and Wolf of Wall Street he's really stepping up.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2014
    ^ Brilliant in Dallas Buyers Club too.

Watched the first episode on a stream, it was too good to contend with all the buffering again, waiting for it to start on Sky Atlantic. Great to see Hollywood juggernauts like McConaughey and Harrelson turning their hand to TV.
  • Watched most of the first episode on preview last night before walking dead. Solid start
  • Watched the first one this week and enjoyed it. if you like this show I'd recommend Hannibal as well. Very similar.

The music/ atmospheric noise thing is very similar, I noticed that too.

When McConnaughey's character gives a speech at the beginning, about how humans are a random freak of nature and don't really belong... that's totally my take on life and religion! I just hope I never get THAT cynical.
  • I watched it because wifey loved McConnaughey but we both thought it was pants
    Maybe too highbrow for me
  • I watched episode 4 last night, and the show is really pushing the boundaries between TV and film.

Not to give anything away, but there's a 6 minute single shot action scene. Pretty impressive stuff.
  • Watched the 1st one last night and was a little dissapointed.
    Hope it gets better as it goes on.
    Couldn't help thinking during the interviews with 'modern day' Woody how much he could look like Dowie, with the aid of a bat across the nose...
  • Watched the 1st one last night and was a little dissapointed.

Same here, I fell asleep! But a) That's because I'm up half the night with a teething baby, and b) I have the attention span to stick with it and see where it goes.
  • edited March 2014
    I am struggling to follow this. Not only can I not hear half the dialogue because of the mumbling but half of what I do hear is slang I cannot understand.
  • I've seen the whole series now and I loved it. The best thing I have seen in ages.
  • Another cracking episide tonight. Loving the series.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2014
    Agreed just caught up with last nights very gripping
  • Finished this last night. Superb. Now that is what I call acting.
  • I watched episode 4 last night, and the show is really pushing the boundaries between TV and film.

Not to give anything away, but there's a 6 minute single shot action scene. Pretty impressive stuff.

Watched this episode last night. Incredible scene!
  • edited March 2014

I've seen the whole series now and I loved it. The best thing I have seen in ages.

Agreed, proper grown up TV. I watched the last episode last night. Both me and Mrs E_A loved it. It is a little slow to get going, but really ramps up from episode 4 onwards. As someone has already mentioned, the final scene in episode 4 is fantastic film making.

The two lead actors are terrific and Matthew M's character is totally bad ass. The story is bleak as f*ck though!

Not sure what I make of rumours that Brad Pitt will be in season 2.
  • I really enjoyed it. Fantastic acting.
    But can anyone tell what the last line he says was? There are a couple of times when they mumble and combined with the drawl I can't make out what they say. The other one is in the car after they have talked about the "incident"between them. What does Woody say at the end of that scene?
    Any help much appreciated :-)

• We LOVED it !

As Exiled said, it was indeed very bleak but that seems to appeal to me...

Agree that the dialogue was often difficult to hear/understand but in some weird way, that seemed to add something to the series...and ensured you found it hard to doze off !

Not sure about a 2nd series though - unsure how the 1st could be matched ?
  • Have been sky + the whole series so far and I am so tempted to watch it but I know I would be too into it and get up to date and then not want to wait till the next episode so I am fighting the urge

• Just to answer my own question he says:
    " If you ask me, light's winning."

I think it is one of the best things I have seen for years tbh, for the acting alone. And whilst the mumbling was a bit....er...what?... I think it actually added to it as well :-)
    Can't see how the next series will work without these two characters. It felt complete as it is. Sometimes things don't need sequels, although from what I've read, the new series will be lots of one off episodes not featuring these two detectives.
    Loved it.
  • Absolutely brilliant tv. Me & the missus were hooked from start to finish. A must watch.
  • Just finished this as well. We loved it. A little obvious in some of the storylines, but top acting, and a very enjoyable watch.