Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

True Detective

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2014
    3blokes said:

I really enjoyed it. Fantastic acting.
    But can anyone tell what the last line he says was? There are a couple of times when they mumble and combined with the drawl I can't make out what they say. The other one is in the car after they have talked about the "incident"between them. What does Woody say at the end of that scene?
    Any help much appreciated :-)

"If you ask me lights winning" is the last line.

One benefit of having to use subtitles most of the time.
  • Options
    3blokes said:

Just to answer my own question he says:
    " If you ask me, light's winning."

I think it is one of the best things I have seen for years tbh, for the acting alone. And whilst the mumbling was a bit....er...what?... I think it actually added to it as well :-)
    Can't see how the next series will work without these two characters. It felt complete as it is. Sometimes things don't need sequels, although from what I've read, the new series will be lots of one off episodes not featuring these two detectives.
    Loved it.

I had to Google that last line too. Lots of people appear to. Odd that such a high quality show would end with something uninteggible, but as many have said, what a great series it's been.

• Options
    Just finished this. Excellent story telling, acting and soundtrack including a superb title song. I too struggled to pick up that last line which makes sense of the rest of the conversation. And as mentioned in earlier posts the 6 minute action scene is edge of the seat stuff. Have noticed that Matthew McConaghey enjoys a smoke in a lot of his recent films and True Detective he pretty much chain smokes his way through it!
  • Options
    Interesting casting for the next series (or do I mean season? Bloody Americanisms) - Colin Farrel and Vince Vaughn. I can't help thinking his is either going to be outstanding or terrible, but after the first series it's got to be worth a try!
  • Options
    Interesting to see if Vince Vaughn can play a serious role.
  • Options
    Like Into The Wild? Or The Cell? Maybe Domestic Disturbance? A Cool, Dry Place perhaps? Even Psycho?
  • Options
    The band that wrote the song to the opening soundtrack are playing in London in October if any of you like that sort of music. They are called The Handsome Family
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Well he certainly can't do comedy.

My heart sank when I saw he had been chosen to star in the new series. Series 1 was 10/10 stuff but every single thing I've ever seen Vince Vaughn in has been utter toilet. His presence is seriously putting me off even bothering watching series 2.
  • Options
    Was good in Swingers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Like Into The Wild? Or The Cell? Maybe Domestic Disturbance? A Cool, Dry Place perhaps? Even Psycho?

How sad.
    Only you could think that the remake of Psycho wasn't funny.
  • Options

My heart sank when I saw he had been chosen to star in the new series. Series 1 was 10/10 stuff but every single thing I've ever seen Vince Vaughn in has been utter toilet. His presence is seriously putting me off even bothering watching series 2.
    I agree with that.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

How sad.
    Aw, your bitterness has shrouded your awareness of irony it seems - they're ALL bad films, except maybe Into The Wild, which is a bit pretentious more than it is rubbish. Still, keep throwing snidey comments at me if you wish, I can take it!
  • Options
    Surprised to see Vaughn being the one under scrutiny.

Farrell has been utter gash in everything that I've seen him in with the exception of In Bruges.
  • Options
    It's fair comment, Suede, I guess Farrell is just the lesser of two evils.

It's definitely some of the most bizarre casting I've seen in a while. Maybe it'll work and we'll all look like idiots in a year or so's time but after the critical and audience acclaim that both the first series itself and its two lead actors got, you'd think they'd almost of had their pick of actors so to choose these two is very left field.
  • Options
    I don't know, it's a bit harsh on Farrell. His leading man choices are pretty poor recently, but he was great in Saving Mr Banks, and The Way Back, and did a good job in Crazy Heart. His American accent is decent. I reckon Vaughn can do it, but it's a much bigger leap.
  • Options

I thought that about Matthew McConaughey before the first series but thought he was excellent in it.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I don't know, it's a bit harsh on Farrell. His leading man choices are pretty poor recently, but he was great in Saving Mr Banks, and The Way Back, and did a good job in Crazy Heart. His American accent is decent. I reckon Vaughn can do it, but it's a much bigger leap.

I'd forgotten he was in Saving Mr Banks, yes that is both a very good film and very good performance. Like you I'd have more faith in Farrell pulling this off than Vaughn.
  • Options
    Just watched the last two episodes of the first series. Wow. Intelligent writing, directing and acting but has there ever been a darker TV series?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

How sad.
    Aw, your bitterness has shrouded your awareness of irony it seems - they're ALL bad films, except maybe Into The Wild, which is a bit pretentious more than it is rubbish. Still, keep throwing snidey comments at me if you wish, I can take it!
    You really are a sad little man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

How sad.
    Ex lovers? Just a guess.
  • Options
    masicat said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

How sad.
    Ex lovers? Just a guess.
    No. He's my stalker.
  • Options

masicat said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

How sad.
    Ex lovers? Just a guess.
    No. He's my stalker.
    You're just not very nice! I'm not sure but I think it goes back to me questioning your refusal to discuss movies rather than talk at people, which for me, completely ruins the movies thread, but I don't think I've ever been nasty to you or called you names. To me, you just come across as a little bitter and nasty, but without the wit to make it funny.
  • Options
    In complete fairness, woody harrelson and matthew mconoughey have had their share of stinkers. Both had some pearlers but they did a great job of true detective.

Colin Farrell is a decent enough actor, the thing with vince vaughan is he looks too ridiculous! Hope they work well together.

Before true detective matthew mconoughey had been in a run of form with dallas buyers club and another film that currently escapes my mind
  • Options
    Mud!
  • Options
    just finished watching the first series. loved it.

always been somewhat spellbound when it comes to that area of America. the music, the religion, the food, the superstition and the characters. would love to visit one day.