Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v QPR | 22nd Feb 2014 | Preview

edited February 2014 in General Charlton

The approach and journey of these two clubs in recent seasons could not be more contrast.

At one end of the table we have a club that has believed the best approach to progression is by throwing a gazillion pounds at it. At the other end is a club that has gone through a round of reducing its comparatively tiny budget, and then extended that further by offloading its better players without properly replacing.

The difference between the two squads is utterly ridiculous, and the result in theory should be a straight forward conclusion.

In theory.

Fortunately The Championship is a bonkers division where results are not as easily won on paper as they are in other leagues.

The Opposition

The arrival of Ravel Morrison this week sees QPR’s squad burst to 31 in number, and carries with it a wage bill that must be verging on the obscene.

Their squad is as follows:

Rob Green, Danny Simpson, Armand Traore, Richard Dunne, Clint Hill, Matt Phillips, Andy Johnson, Charlie Austin, Tom Carroll, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Will Keane, Suk-Young Yun, Kevin Doyle, Nedum Onuoha, Jermaine Jenas, Joey Barton, Aaron Hughes, Niko Kranjcar, Karl Henry, Luke Young, David Hoilett, Bobby Zamora, Brian Murphy, Max Ehmer, Alejandro Faurlin, Julio Cesar (on loan to Toronto), Yossi Benayoun, Gary O’Neil, Benoit Assou-Ekotto and Modibo Maiga.

I dread to think what the comparative difference in budget must be, and I doubt I could guess to the nearest £10m. ‘Bare bones’ is not an expression I’d expect old ‘Arry to be quoting anytime soon.

Much is made of Redknapp’s love of an attacking player, but it is at the back where the platform has been built. QPR have conceded the least goals in the division, and a back five of Rob Green, Aaron Hughes, Richard Dunne, Clint Hill and Assou-Ekoto is steady and packed with serious Premiership experience.

Rangers will be missing the goals of Charlie Austin and the unpredictability of Joey Barton. Kevin Doyle and Ravel Morrison certainly seem capable of filling the void.

What to watch ?

The potential crèche of emerging talent in the middle of our boggy pitch. It is unlikely that Powell will start them as a pairing, but Jordan Cousins (19) and Diego Poyet could be up against the older and more experienced pair of Premiership loanees Tom Carroll (21) and Ravel Morrison (21). Chuck in Callum Harriott (19) and Junior Hoylett (23) and the half time oranges could well be replaced with Fruit Shoots.

Poor old Johnnie Jackson will feel like Corporal Jones in the middle of that lot

The Line Up

Gawd knows.

Chris Powell hasn’t a clue what his best line-up currently is. But in fairness, nor do any of us.

The squad has been having to go through a bizarre transition in recent weeks without actually playing any games. Rangers have been favouring a 4-2-3-1 line up, but with Kermorgant now gone and Peter Parsley not really featured as yet, we don’t seem to have a natural ‘1’ to lead with at this stage. The tried and trusted 4-4-2 is likely to favoured.

Reza I suspect will get another home outing up top, whether he is partnered by Starvin Marvin, Church or Polish Pete is anyone’s guess.

The full backs is also a lottery to predict. Will Nego return on the right allowing Wilson to push forward, or will we have the defensive Wilson / Cousins combo on the right?

On the left, surely the clearly confidence-starved Evina won’t get another crack at it, but will the inexperience of Fox or Lennon be too much of a concern up against the impressive Hoylett ?

Prediction

With a transitional and weakened squad, unfamiliar with each other’s game and desperately lacking match sharpness, the moneybags of Rangers is quite possibly the last game Charlton could want this weekend to try and halt four successive defeats and get back on the wagon. Equally, Rangers wiil see Charlton as the perfect potential recovery after a little wobble.

This wlll be seeing a '2' on a lot of coupons up and down the country, and it is hard to put up a decent argument against.

In theory.

What do you reckon 'Arry ?

Comments

• Options
    Do you reckon we could bribe 'Arry to throw this one? Silly question...
  • Options
    It goes to show how overrated Redknapp is as QPR should be in Leicesters comfort zone instead of worrying about delaying a loan signing to incorporate the play offs

I'm at a corporate for England v Ireland at Twickenham so will miss this

0-3
  • Options
    There will be no white flags in the North Upper. As seems to be appropriate to our pitch, we will fight them on the beaches, that horrible little sod Joey Barton will be sent off and we will win 2-1.
  • Options
    Think this could be the turning point in our season. 1-0 to us Morrison

• Options
    Granpa said:

There will be no white flags in the North Upper. As seems to be appropriate to our pitch, we will fight them on the beaches, that horrible little sod Joey Barton will be sent off and we will win 2-1.

Barton is already banned Granpa, he won't be playing!
  • Options
    Granpa said:

Barton is suspended, having clocked up a load of yellow cards. Rangers will be quick, mobile and incisive, and will win 3-0.

• Options
    1-0 Morrison.........................see what I have done there?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Wide open game which we lose 3 - 2 leading to complaints that Powell is too attacking and should have put Dervite on to hold on to to the draw rather then go all out for the win.

Reza and Becchio score
  • Options
    Given our recent form it's hard to be overly positive but we have to start picking up points soon otherwise ..........

1 - 1 Reza
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excellent article AFKABartram. Extremely well written. Thank goodness someone has the same
    views as I do. By the way does anyone on this site know what has happened to Hogan Ephraim.
    Had a couple of decent games for us few seasons ago?
  • Options
    thanks.

He's just returned from a loan at Peterborough
  • Options
    great write up as ever afka...

not being pedantic or anything but....is the game not on the 22nd? I nearly had a full blown argument with the mrs as i refused to go to her pals bday as the game had been moved.....?!!

• Options

Excellent article AFKABartram. Extremely well written. Thank goodness someone has the same
    views as I do. By the way does anyone on this site know what has happened to Hogan Ephraim.
    Had a couple of decent games for us few seasons ago?

The same views!?! There are no views on this review...just the same guessing game as to our starting eleven i can only imagine Powell is doing in his office right now. Only difference being Bartram has made some educated guesses whereas I wouldnt be surprised if Powell is in his office with a blindfold on, a picture of a pitch instead of a horse and a bunch of pins with charlton players names on instead of tails. That said (and mentioned in the review) I think like every fan on this forum (me included), Powell hasnt got a scuby what our best team is.

Knew qpr had the best squad in the league but actucally being given that list of current/former genuine premiership quality im amazed they havnt had an arsenal 'invincibles' type season.

Can see this going only one way and that 3-0 qpr, anything less than that being a bonus. That said three points to make up for the birmingham result followed by a win at sheffield could be the tonic to galvanise our season to championship survival and fa cup winners. COYR!

• Options
    mrbligh said:

not being pedantic or anything but....is the game not on the 22nd?

amended, cheers chief
  • Options
    The worst attack vs the best defence.

Bound to be a six goal thriller.
  • Options
    a good performance by us, but a loss. 0-1.
  • Options
    Super preview AFKA .. we are gonna win this one... 'Arry's lads are in woeful form and I suspect have got a bit complacent and/or leg weary, there are some oldish geezers in his first choice side and without Austin they lack goal scoring power for all their supposed striking talent and presumed superstars .. Roland's Irregulars will come good .. only with this team mind you:

Hamer .. Morrison, Wood, Dervite, Wiggins (if not fit Lennon) ...... Wilson, Cousins, Jackson, Ajdarevic .. Reza, Church ....... Bring on Poyet for Jackson when we are 2-0 to the good

Charlton Athletic: 2 v Queens Park Rangers: 0
  • Options
    Best time to play them fortunately. Feel good about this, can see a 2-1 win,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think were going to pull it off 2-1
  • Options
    On paper we have no chance. On a boggy muddy pitch though Charlton to defy all logic & win but wouldn't like to predict the score except to say we will definitely concede. Man of the match to be our juggling goalkeeper keeping us all entertained with various tricks not yet seen. Such as catching a cross.
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    1-0 to the Addicks
  • Options
    I understand that the gaffer was at the QPR v Reading game so will be totally au fait with their weaknesses.

Saturday will be the first day of the rest of our season.
  • Options
    One nil win for the Mighty Addicks!

Jackson the scorer with a header, COYR!
  • Options
    1-1
    Reza wins a pen to rescue a point
  • Options

1-1
    Reza wins a pen to rescue a point

But who would take it, H ?

JJ if on the pitch ? Or not ?

• Options
    1000% a midfield battle. Would try for Hamer (Thuram will be singled out if he's playing, they'll be first onto the rebounds from him), if Hamer can play 90mins for U21's he can for us at home. hopefully Wiggins back, block the midfield and give this new guy Koc a go alongside Astrit, Reza uptop and if he struggles take him off. Also we should take advantage of this poor pitch, arrive early and see how the ball rolls etc., it won't be pretty if the pitch hasn't improved, but we may need to take advantage of set pieces the way the pitch is at the moment