Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell " I will fight to be here "

Interesting interview and comments from Chris .. Makes me wonder how far off this contract is - again I feel this is a little hint to rolan:

Charlton manager Chris Powell is desperate to put pen to paper on a new contract at The Valley and continue his love affair with the club.

The Addicks boss is in the final year of his current deal and new owner Roland Duchatelet confirmed on Thursday that talks over a new contract are already underway.

Club legend Powell has been in charge at Charlton since 2011 and guided them to promotion from League One in his first full season in charge.

He led the south London club to an impressive ninth-placed Championship finish last season despite thread-bare resources, and he is eager to extend his stay at the club.

Asked if he still sees his long-term future at Charlton, Powell said: “I always have done and I always will think that way, unless someone else tells me different.

“That’s what I want to do. I’ve been given an opportunity here and in my eyes I’ve taken it.”

Charlton are four points adrift of safety ahead of the visit of QPR on Saturday, but Powell insists he has learnt to take the rough with the smooth.

“You have your dips as a manger and a player,” he said, “If this is my dip then I’ll accept that, but I want to come through the other side and I want to do that here.

“I love this club. I want to remain the manager and I want my players and the rest of my staff to think that way.”

He added: “I proved myself in League One, in my first full year, and I proved myself last year with the backdrop of not the greatest resources.

“I’m here and I’m going to fight. Whatever happens, happens, but we’re going to keep fighting.”

Charlton’s fight will be aided by the loan signing of Nottingham Forest forward Marcus Tudgay, who could make his debut against the R’s.

Comments

• Options
    Where is this from? Thanks.
  • Options
    Im desperate for that contract to be sorted, Chrissy adapting to this new and exciting (IMO) era at the club and leading us to more glory in the years to come, COYR!
  • Options
    Bit sad if he feels he has to fight to stay after all he has done for this club. Come on, Roland, get your act together...
  • Options
    In spite of his faults (& bloody good bloke / descent chapishness / all round good eggness taken as agreed) (and ignoring my dislike of the endless SCP type posts pointing this out and hinting at his eventual beatitude) I hope he stays and can develop. He does have great potential.

Nice bloke too I hear!
  • Options
    fighting to stay in the division, not fighting for his job. Lots of 2+2=6 in this thread.
  • Options
    Just to add, in case it carries some weight, that my wife (34) says that she is not interested who is our Manager, my daughter (6) thinks football is boring and my Pug
    (Gnasher) aged five and a half weeks, has yet to commit to CP, or indeed indicate a love for the game or Charlton.
    IAgree said:

In spite of his faults (& bloody good bloke / descent chapishness / all round good eggness taken as agreed) (and ignoring my dislike of the endless SCP type posts pointing this out and hinting at his eventual beatitude) I hope he stays and can develop. He does have great potential.

Nice bloke too I hear!

• Options
    Tudgay doesnt start
  • Options
    JT said:

Tudgay doesnt start

Who does?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reading too much into this I think. He means he'll fight to turn our form around cos if he doesn't his sacking is inevitable sooner or later. The paranoia of some people is getting a bit much.
  • Options
    Jt and his brother 8)
  • Options
    FFS Chris sign the feckin thing so we can talk about something else.

PS. My Tibetan terrier aged 18 months doesn't give a hoot one way or the other.
  • Options
    Whether or not people on this site share the same views we all share something, a love for Charlton athletic and so does our manager.
    Please get behind him and the team today. Be as one from now on.

This is endorsed also by 'Secker', my Border Terrier and 'Ed', my wifes poodle/pomeranian cross.
  • Options

JT said:

Tudgay doesnt start

Who does?
    Not Tudgay. ;-)
  • Options
    Powell will have to accept that his role will change considerably under Roland's revolution.
    I suspect that is the reason he hasn't signed yet.
  • Options
    Please Roland don't base CP's new contract on win bonuses he has to earn a living
  • Options
    I am always behind both and who am I to argue with a Border Terrier and a poodle/ Pomeranian cross! I wanted a Border but it morphed into a Pug under my wife's influence!

Think we will do well today. Seem to lift our game against the bigger teams.

Whether or not people on this site share the same views we all share something, a love for Charlton athletic and so does our manager.
    Please get behind him and the team today. Be as one from now on.

This is endorsed also by 'Secker', my Border Terrier and 'Ed', my wifes poodle/pomeranian cross.

• Options

fighting to stay in the division, not fighting for his job. Lots of 2+2=6 in this thread.

He's talking about his job there mate quite clearly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The press conference didn't indicate to me that future was bright (for CP) - maybe there isn't a contract at all?
  • Options

Yes, but only in the context that he has to win enough games to be able to stay.
  • Options
    StevieK said:

Yes, but only in the context that he has to win enough games to be able to stay.
    That's him gone then.
  • Options

The press conference didn't indicate to me that future was bright (for CP) - maybe there isn't a contract at all?

Was Roland lying then?
  • Options

Not at all 'I'm going to fight.... We will all continue to fight' is obviously about relegation and nothing to do with contracts
  • Options
    Of course it's about his job. Read it.
  • Options
    If he's fighting for his job he's probably lost. Unless he wins nearly every game left this season.
    Which I hope he does, or at least as many as he needs to stay.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Was Roland lying then?
    I guess we'll find out soon - I hope he is being straight with CP - you can't string people along and hope for anything good - it should be made clear so that everybody can understand what's going on - good or bad.
  • Options

Wherever it's from, me (38) my boys (11 and 13) my Dad (64) and my great aunt (93) all support him. Current, future and past support believe he is the one for us, Love the man. He is without a doubt our future, I hope RD agrees!

So little says so much, LFE