Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Attendance v QPR

2»

Comments

• Options
    Vincent said:

Uboat said:

I see we've moved on from the attendance. There's a shock.
    By the way, this habit you have of suggesting that someone is a child because they dare to disagree with you makes you come across as a real dick.

Child by the way they talk I.e real dick not because they disagree.
    Replying to left foots people need to cheer up. My post before with dansk was about attendances or lack of.
    'They way they talk' - ?

• Options
    Thanks for the example of the way children talk on the Thuram thread, Muppet.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Thanks for the example of the way children talk on the Thuram thread, Muppet.

You call me a moron and a muppet and for this reason only I pity you. I apologise for calling you a twat I should and do know better. Goodnight uboat.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I have to say by the comments made, it seems like more people on CL weren't at The Valley, than were.

I do find it strange how so many of our supporters don't actually go.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The dwindling attendances are hardly a surprise are they? Relegated from the Prem in 2007 and relegated again in 2009, followed by a prolonged stay in the third tier will do that. The fair weather supporters who helped us sell-out every game in the Prem days (and stuck around for the first season in the champ) are long gone now.

Sure recently we've improved by getting ourselves back to the 2nd level but since then our home form has been terrible (save for a bit of a run end of last season) with this season even worse. Results bring the crowds in, and we just haven't had a run of them.

The only way I can see us get 18-20K+ regularly is If we manage to have to a good season and threaten promotion, or charge £5 for every game. I don't think the latter is likely...
  • Options

I have to say by the comments made, it seems like more people on CL weren't at The Valley, than were.

I do find it strange how so many of our supporters don't actually go.

Surely it's the same for all clubs?
  • Options
    Every time I read Vincents posts I get this huge wave of positivity wash over me, He's fantastic, always positive, never a bad word to say, inspires people around him...

What a guy...
  • Options
    I expected that crowd. The days of getting 20,000 are long gone (unless do the fiver deal). Crowds are dipping across the championship, but ours is getting worse. As stated on this site, should we really have a massive crowd, considering the pitch and the crap football we have had? Charlton have a core of 12,000 die hard, the rest is casual supporters who pick and choose. To get them back if we go down will be hard.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I think we should be concerned that we are now getting lower crowds in the Championship than we had in League One - especially as away numbers are on average about 900 higher. We are also giving away more - not fewer - comps.

No doubt some of this is down to the football and the pitch, however the quality of the opposition should also lift interest.
  • Options
    I think Saturday may have been skewed by the fact that there were a lot of options for floating 'sports fans' with the rugby and 4 prem games in London, but I agree with AB that we should be concerned that the underlying trend appears to be downward
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The trend is definitely down and it needs to be reversed...quickly. Prices are up and league position way down on last season. There needs to be a coherent strategy to get some of those empty seats filled.
    The top clubs in the Championship average just over 20,000 and under FFP a club can only lose a certain amount. So more fans attending will help Charlton compete.
    A new pitch and winning more than we lose are going to help but it needs a lot more to reverse the decline.
  • Options

The trend is definitely down and it needs to be reversed...quickly. Prices are up and league position way down on last season. There needs to be a coherent strategy to get some of those empty seats filled.
    The top clubs in the Championship average just over 20,000 and under FFP a club can only lose a certain amount. So more fans attending will help Charlton compete.
    A new pitch and winning more than we lose are going to help but it needs a lot more to reverse the decline.

What more can be done? When your a bottom half of the championship side the only way to hit 20K regularly is to reduce ticket prices, but can the club afford to do that? What price would encourage more people to come?
  • Options

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Off_it said:

Vincent said:

Off_it said:

Cheerful soul, aren't you Vinny?

Do I take it you were happy with the attendance then.
    Everyone who posts on here love the club so is our dwindling support of no concern
    With all that's going on mate the attendance is the least of our concerns.

If, as you say, you're a supporter of long standing then you would know that. Compared to most other attendances we would've have at the bottom of the second tier in your time then I would say it is probably pretty good.

You'll just have to find something else to have a downer about I'm afraid. How was the half time catering?
    All the hard work that went into building this club is now disappearing but so what as for half time sorry no catering requirements before and after for me, although I did not have to queue for the toilet
    I bet that boiled your piss?

Great how long did it take for you to come up with.
    Quite quickly really. Think people need to cheer up a bit, mid 90s we used to get excited with crowds of 12,000. For a relatively small club our home support is pretty good, the away support on the other hand...

you haven't lived mate. I can remember when 4000 was a good home crowd and 50 of us going away would have cracking day out.
  • Options
    There will also be fans that don't stay in touch by fans sites for information and feedback, so will have read start of season and recent events in the main media as a negative. e.g. Not signing players at the start of the season, selling our best players, manager and players nearly out of contract etc. Some fans perception will be a club with no ambition. There lies another problem.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

What more can be done? When your a bottom half of the championship side the only way to hit 20K regularly is to reduce ticket prices, but can the club afford to do that? What price would encourage more people to come?
    What a shame we've not done any work on this over the last 20 years. We might have come up with a few ideas.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    CAFCTrev said:

There are two basic approaches: The commercial side of the club and fans (on here, in the Trust and elsewhere) can sit back and say everything's down to the playing side. Or we can examine the lessons of the 90s and the club and supporters work together to fill the empty seats. Plenty of ideas around and the new (old!) chairman seems keen.
    I was at a Season Ticket discussion the other week - get that right and we have a start...

And there is a matchday survey going on right now so fans can tell the club what's good and bad...let's see the answers and what the club might deliver against a survey of 1,000 fans.

The third and most important part will be working on promoting individual games. This will be where every fan who wants to should be able to participate and have a crack at helping CAFC gates turn a corner. Unfortunately the last owners had zero interest in this area as 1,000 fans on the average gate clearly did not feature in their calculations.
    But FFP and reducing loss limits and new ownership may change this? Of course the Owner and management can always choose to say they know best and run with this but I sincerely believe that there are a significant number of fans who want to help - in fact 70% of the supporters Trust membership.
  • Options

CAFCTrev said:

What a shame we've not done any work on this over the last 20 years. We might have come up with a few ideas.
    Spot on. I think having the £150 season ticket would be a good start, Ive mentioned it before and its worked for other clubs in lower levels then us.