Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cort and solly

2»

Comments

• Options
    I didn't realise Chris Solly's career is now in the balance, I can't even remember in which game he got this injury. My favourite player the last few years.
  • Options

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

Jimenez and Slater must have known the extent of Solly's injury before they gave him a 4-year deal. Out of character from them, but a nice thing to do in the circumstances, but another thing I expect RD and KM were not best pleased about when they took the reigns. Get fit soon Chris.

That was probably more for insurance, than giving Solly a secure wage.
    Surely the insurance wouldn't count it it was pre-existing?
    Im only guessing but a payout would be more with a 4 year improved deal, than 12 months with peck wages.
    You cannot insure for a pre existing condition as has been suggested earlier. They could have given him a thousand year contract and it would not make a jot of difference. I'm sure everyone would love their motives be some nefarious plan to make money out of his broken knees, but it isn't the case no matter how many times you repeat it.
    That is absolutely not true. Of course you can insure for pre-existing conditions and I have such insurance myself. It just means you pay a higher premium.
    In certain circumstances you are correct but for a professional footballer on a brand new contract, known to have dodgy knees, I somehow doubt that the underwriters would have accepted this risk, if the extent of the injury had been declared, and if it hadn't the insurance wouldn't pay anyway.

But this is just speculation and let's hope Chris is back in the not too distant future.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

Jimenez and Slater must have known the extent of Solly's injury before they gave him a 4-year deal. Out of character from them, but a nice thing to do in the circumstances, but another thing I expect RD and KM were not best pleased about when they took the reigns. Get fit soon Chris.

Im only guessing but a payout would be more with a 4 year improved deal, than 12 months with peck wages.
    You cannot insure for a pre existing condition as has been suggested earlier. They could have given him a thousand year contract and it would not make a jot of difference. I'm sure everyone would love their motives be some nefarious plan to make money out of his broken knees, but it isn't the case no matter how many times you repeat it.
    Ok, so in your theory the people that were running the club into the ground decided to give an injured player a new contract... but not a single squad fit player out of pure generosity ? Like Dubai Pete says, you can insure it justs costs more.

Well based on my experience with the semi-criminal jokers called PPP, (now Axa something) I find it hard to believe that it would be as simple as that. Good heavens, it would hardly have been hard for the insurance company to find out that his long term fitness was in serious doubt. It was extensively discussed here - no cartiliage left, it was said. How for example would his value to CAFC be valued by the insurance company now, in the event of a claim? We were reliably told there was no bid for him this summer.

Sounds too easy an explanation to me.
  • Options
    I imagine that insuring any footballer is considered a high risk when they are all just one bad injury away from an enforced retirement. We don't know the insurance terms but nor do we know the contract terms.

The four year deal could also have a clause protecting the club from a long term liability if Chris does have to retire or can't play for extended periods.

I hope it is all academic and Chris is back fit and playing next season but I'm not hopeful.
  • Options
    Blimey we can even make a thread about Solly's progress into one where we bash the old board. At last we have our very own Blame Thatcher.
  • Options

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

Ok, so in your theory the people that were running the club into the ground decided to give an injured player a new contract... but not a single squad fit player out of pure generosity ? Like Dubai Pete says, you can insure it justs costs more.

Well based on my experience with the semi-criminal jokers called PPP, (now Axa something) I find it hard to believe that it would be as simple as that. Good heavens, it would hardly have been hard for the insurance company to find out that his long term fitness was in serious doubt. It was extensively discussed here - no cartiliage left, it was said. How for example would his value to CAFC be valued by the insurance company now, in the event of a claim? We were reliably told there was no bid for him this summer.

Sounds too easy an explanation to me.
    Fair play, unlike most im more than happy to be wrong :)
  • Options
    Holy shit! I had no idea his injury was this bad, very, very sad.

I guess this is also why his big Prem move never happened.
  • Options
    So many people have a perfect knowledge of Solly's injury problems? If his injury was impossibly bad why did they play him in three games in a week and a half over Xmas?

If he was insured correctly, it'll just discount pre-exsisting conditions. I doubt anyone knew of chronic problems, and if they did they're chronic idiots for playing him in so many matches on heavy pitches over Xmas. Unless Jimenez was the named beneficary on Jan 2.....

Come on.
  • Options
    Gutted to read this thread, i assumed him back this season was a not gonna happen but had no idea it could be his career over, i hope you guys are wrong.
  • Options
    What has Solly actually done to his knee?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll still vote for him at POTY.
  • Options
    All we know for sure is that a fan was told Saturday that he's 10 weeks away from fitness. Maybe that's the truth.
  • Options
    So so sad if true. My favourite player for years.
  • Options
    On Charlton Live last night Pete F said that it wasnt true that he is retiring, and that he will be back .
  • Options
    Solly will have been insured since the onset of his professional career.

He will have been included in the collective player insurance cover.

You rarely arrange specific "injury" insurance but merely place a value within the overall collective player insurance, and effectively consequential loss insurance in terms of his current and future earnings.

If he were already covered I doubt the insurance company would specifically seek a further medical prior to the new contract. Especially when to that point he had completed circa 100 league appearances.

In fact he completed 45 games last year.

Medicals normally only occur in the event of a new player joining to be included in your overall player insurance cover.

The contract extension and applicable player insurance seems entirely appropriate - I sincerely hope we and he do not need to resort to such financial remedy.
  • Options
    It's a slightly strange injury, as his fitness over the last 2 season has been excellent, and it wasn't as if he injured his knee in a specific incident, of the sort where you know it's serious straight away.
  • Options

What has Solly actually done to his knee?

From what I have heard its pretty much the same injury as what Ledley King had, where he has little to no cartilage in his knee
  • Options
    lets wait for some actually news from the club before we all retire the poor bloke.
  • Options
    Medicine and medical technology has advanced a great deal since Paul McGrath' s day and even Ledley King's. I am surprised there isn't a new procedure being developed maybe in the States that could be the answer to Solly's injury problems. Given his age and quality, he is certainly worth persevering with (in terms of some games, rest etc) in the hope that the medics will be able to help him in 2 or 3 years. All provided, of course, that by playing he does not risk his longer term health and mobility - that is the top priority in all this.
  • Options
    Ledley had that issue from the age of 18 and only stopped playing 18mths ago

The career that solly couldve had may not have come to the conclusion it shouldve with the talent he poseses but to write his obitury already is way off mark

I reckon he will play in each of the next 4 seqasons on his deal and he will be managed through his condition like ledley was
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I quizzed solly on the ledley king thoery and he said that it wasn't the same condition. He explained that the medical experts found some soft tissue in his knee and removed it. They also saod that he should be ok to resume his career.

fingers crossed
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Gutted for him, we've not had much luck either with this kinda thing... Hunt, mendonca and rufus were huge losses for us in similar circumstances.

I think Geoff Scott could have played a major role in our team of the day. He was class.
  • Options
    This thread is absolute rubbish. That's all.
  • Options
    Ai.... oh bugger i'm rubbish.
  • Options
    Any news on Chris?
    Boy, would it be a big (needed) boost if he were to return for a few games before end of season.
  • Options
    Yes, 'people who speak to him daily' please give us an update on his injury.
  • Options
    We have missed Solly really badly this season - the Solly/Wilson partnership would have made a huge difference.
  • Options
    Hamer

Solly
    Morro
    Dervite
    Wiggins

Wilson
    Cousins
    Poyet
    Jackson
    Ajderovic

Reza

He would make such a difference to the team.