Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

List of Official Coach Pick Ups for Sheffield

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2014

To be honest i don't really think £22 to go all that way is that over priced, although a round £20 would probably have sufficed. What i don't get is why someone travelling from Worthing or Bexhill pays the same as someone travelling from Charlton when they're travelling for over 2 hours more. Is it simply because it's just easier for the club to say 'same price for everyone'?

Over many years it was actually cheaper to hire coaches from the coast than it was to hire them locally, even allowing for the extra miles. But in this case 85% of passengers will travel from in or around the M25, so it really doesn't make much difference to the overall cost either way that a small number travel from the coast. The advertised spread of pick-ups is highly misleading.
  • Options
    Is the fare the same for under 16s?
  • Options

Is the fare the same for under 16s?

Yes.
  • Options
    Think this is great value how can anyone complain!
    Tried to get a 8/9 seater for that weekend best price was 275 before taking into account fuel @ approx 440 mile round trip @ 30 to gallon about £90/100
    So going to work out just under £50 each!
    So coaches are a bargain?
  • Options
    I'd hazard a guess that those complaining about £22 for the coach do not go to many away games. In that case, the club definitely doesn't owe you.
  • Options

I wasn't planning on taking the coach as I normally drive or take the train, but the last time I took the coach (a long time ago admittedly!) it was 'the' Blackburn game, and I caught it at Watford Gap services; a fair number of people got on there. I presume there isn't enough business from 'norf' of the river to justify a stop there any more?

Where are you based? I would also use a Watford Gap pickup, as it happens I'll drive from nearby, couple of spare seats.

• Options
    edited February 2014

stonemuse said:

Curb_It said:

I suspect they have subsidised the cost anyway. Coaches are expensive and would be more than 22quid pp for a 300+ mile round trip

They have not subsidised it. Quite the contrary. Check Airman Brown's posts on the subject. And nobody on here knows more about the subject than him!

But why should they? It's a business as well not a charity. Club needs to make a bit of dosh.

Proper businesses make dosh by delighting their customers so that they are happy to part with their readies again and again.

This business could have said "sorry, we are not kicking off at this day and time, because it is unreasonable to ask our customers to get up at 05.00 just to go to a frigging football match in the middle of the country"

To which the answer will have been "OK so you lose £250,000 in TV money." which is not a small amount in our current state.

So this business could have said to its customers "look, sorry to do this to you, but by accepting this ridiculous kick off time we get a whole load of dosh we would not get otherwise. But as a gesture of how much we value you as customers we are going to use 5% of this money to help get you there at a reasonable price"

That is what a properbusiness would do.

(purely my personal opinion BTW)

any chance of a real-life example of this 'proper business' to which you refer?
    Amazon. if you say your parcel didn't arrive, they send you a replacement, no questions asked.

If your ticket didn't turn up then you would get sent a replacement or could collect a replacement on the day

stonemuse said:

Curb_It said:

I suspect they have subsidised the cost anyway. Coaches are expensive and would be more than 22quid pp for a 300+ mile round trip

They have not subsidised it. Quite the contrary. Check Airman Brown's posts on the subject. And nobody on here knows more about the subject than him!

But why should they? It's a business as well not a charity. Club needs to make a bit of dosh.

Proper businesses make dosh by delighting their customers so that they are happy to part with their readies again and again.

This business could have said "sorry, we are not kicking off at this day and time, because it is unreasonable to ask our customers to get up at 05.00 just to go to a frigging football match in the middle of the country"

To which the answer will have been "OK so you lose £250,000 in TV money." which is not a small amount in our current state.

So this business could have said to its customers "look, sorry to do this to you, but by accepting this ridiculous kick off time we get a whole load of dosh we would not get otherwise. But as a gesture of how much we value you as customers we are going to use 5% of this money to help get you there at a reasonable price"

Marks&Spencer. You buy some item and then decide you don't like it, you can take it back and get a refund.

How does that relate to a game of football ? I didn't enjoy the last game I saw but I didn't think to ask for a refund, it certainly wasn't fit-for-purpose

stonemuse said:

Curb_It said:

Fitbit. (Look it up). It was my Christmas present. After six weeks, due to my own stupidity, I lost it. To my amazement they are sending me a replacement free of charge. The RRP is about £100.
    Last week, Fitbit abruptly stopped selling its new fitness tracking wristband, the Fitbit Force, due to complaints that the device was causing skin rashes.
  • Options
    Sir_Clive said:

I wasn't planning on taking the coach as I normally drive or take the train, but the last time I took the coach (a long time ago admittedly!) it was 'the' Blackburn game, and I caught it at Watford Gap services; a fair number of people got on there. I presume there isn't enough business from 'norf' of the river to justify a stop there any more?

Where are you based? I would also use a Watford Gap pickup, as it happens I'll drive from nearby, couple of spare seats.

Thanks for the offer, North London, but I think I'll be staying the Saturday night with friends oop north!
  • Options
    bull shit. if it was wed it would been on sat,17.15.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cazo said:

bull shit. if it was wed it would been on sat,17.15.

ABSOLUTELY NO WAY. The Police would have made it midday on the Sunday so as to avoid everyone turning up tanked up.

• Options
    Wednesday is really Saturday, people turning up in tanks on Sunday, feck me my head hurts!
  • Options
    If £22 is too much for you drive yourself then.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

That journey from Bexhill would be absolutely horrible.. I'm half considering it!

No no don't go to pick it up in Sussex jump on it at Halfords Dartford :0)
    haha if only! Uni has taken me away from my hometown!

• Options

That's stupid, we'll be no trouble......
  • Options
    Sunday midday ko wouldn't have been a problem if both teams were from the city the game was being played in. But as one of them is from a city where the earliest train gets in after midday, then that game should have a later ko, particularly when the away supporters of both other games do not have so far to travel.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    PL54 - like at Bolton in 99?
  • Options

PL54 - like at Bolton in 99?

I'm far too young
  • Options
    Anyone know where abouts the Orpington coach pick up is for Sheffiled? Is it Court Road lay-by as it was years ago or somewhere else now?