Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Calling all Oasis fans

Comments

• Options
    buckshee said:

So as some of you may know and (I'm sure some will be horrified to realise) it's 20 years this August since the first Oasis album definitely maybe was released.

To celebrate I'm involved in a night at the scala in kings cross.

Would be good to see a few Charlton faces there.

Nice one Liam!
  • Options
    As Noel Gallagher once said "before Oasis came along indie bands were happy with selling out the Oxford zodiac and entering the top 40 at number 27 with a bullet , we changed all that"

Love them or hate them when Noel and Liam did interviews in the NME the sale of that or other publications with their interviews in went up massively. Personally I always liked their honesty , if they didn't like another band or artist they'd say which is a lot better than most of the other musicians out there.

I pretty much knew when I started this thread that there'd be a lot of people on here that would slag them off and although that annoyed me a little as it's a post about a night I'm involved with I also love the fact that twenty years later they still divide opinion.
  • Options
    Went to see them at Knebworth years ago when I was still in the UK, best part was Ocean Colour Scene supporting
  • Options
    Best memory of oasis...liam getting his teeth knocked out by a reporter or someone similar.
  • Options
    I will have some of that mate, looks a good night

Still my favourite band, great memories
  • Options

I'd have thought Depeche Mode were more successful

Yes. On a global basis definitely. Oasis just are not that big here in Central Europe. They came out to Prague in late 90's. I went, but it was not a sell out and when they were not greeted with the near hysteria that was common in the UK at the time, the show went downhill fast. We have a brilliant indie station in Prague that has kept me in touch with all the best new UK bands of the last 20 years. Oasis gets played but not much. Now if Depeche Mode come to Prague, they sell out the biggest footie stadium in a couple of days.

And in the same mode, last night I went to see Simple Minds. Again not that well known here, and they played in front of about 700 in a scruffy shed. But they gave it all they had, everyone danced and roared out their anthems and I'm still buzzing this morning. Can't see Oasis doing that when they are 50ish.

• Options
    I would go if I wasn't so far away. Saw Oasis twice, once I was lucky enough to get all areas access, and watch the gig from the side of the stage, the other was at Wembley. Both times they were brilliant. I have got all their albums too. Hope it's a great night.
  • Options
    The only band that I have got all their albums as well. Most songs remind me of a time in my life.

Love them.
  • Options
    Have
    leefender said:

Went to see them at Knebworth years ago when I was still in the UK, best part was Ocean Colour Scene supporting

Have to say I thought Prodigy blew everyone away that day (other bands I think were manics, chemical bros, ocs and oasis of course)
  • Options
    Music is always subjective. I would struggle to name my top 3 songs at any given time, let alone bands. I have a pretty eclectic taste in music and listen to a wide variety, but I think B is right...the tracks/bands that stay with you are the ones that remind you of a certain time in your life.

What's the story...came out in Oct 95 just as I went on my first away trip with Ireland, to Portugal. Travelled to Lisbon with nowhere to stay, stumbled upon a youth hostel, met up with people from all over the world, all went to the game and then, because it seemed like a good idea at the time, jumped on an overnight train to the Algarve. Shared tequila with the Portuguese soldiers (who got free travel on the night trains) and stumbled out at Faro the next morning...Wonderwall, Champagne Supernova et al were the soundtrack to that week and always bring back brilliant memories.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love oasis seen them live 3 times, first time circa 96 at earls court when they were supported by the verve.

Saw them at wembley a few years back supported by kasabian and Florence and the machine and it was an absolutely cracking night.

Would love to see them again on any reunion tour
  • Options
    buckshee said:

As Noel Gallagher once said "before Oasis came along indie bands were happy with selling out the Oxford zodiac and entering the top 40 at number 27 with a bullet , we changed all that"

Love them or hate them when Noel and Liam did interviews in the NME the sale of that or other publications with their interviews in went up massively. Personally I always liked their honesty , if they didn't like another band or artist they'd say which is a lot better than most of the other musicians out there.

I pretty much knew when I started this thread that there'd be a lot of people on here that would slag them off and although that annoyed me a little as it's a post about a night I'm involved with I also love the fact that twenty years later they still divide opinion.

It did bump your thread up!
  • Options
    Absolutely overrated band. Having said that I do like them, not even the best band to have come out of Manchester though. Rock music for chavs at the end of the day.

Arctic Monkeys I'd say changed the game more and have evolved their sound a lot more than oasis ever did. If you think good indie/working class rock didn't exist before oasis you need to do some more listening. Having said that they were a big part of the 90s British music scene in which decent musicians were a real rarity. Blur were better though.

Also, Noel Gallagher, John Lennon would like his chordbook back.
  • Options
    Wembley 2000 was awesome, Wembley 2009 it was clear the road was coming to an end

They are the best band to come out of Manchester by a long chalk, for me the only band to compete in terms of meaning something are the libertines. Kasabian put on the best shows but if you were at a libertines gig when they were kicking off you'd know what I mean

Stone roses and the smiths good but not my generation and don't come close. Arctic monkeys very good band

Best bands of the last twenty years

Oasis
    Kasabian
    Libertines

Honourable mentions to blur, prodigy, editors and arctic monkeys
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Massive on the UK scene ...definitely.

Some landmark songs ...definitely.

Defined an era ...definitely.

Have all their albums ...definitely.

Noel Gallagher, a genius ...not even close. Now if you were talking about two of his prime influences, that would be a different story ...John Lydon and Ian Brown.
  • Options
    Joy Division, New Order, The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets and The Smiths are 6 bands off the top of my head from Manchester that I prefer. I guess I just find Indy very dull, musics very subjective of course.

I hope the night went well!
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Noel Gallagher, a genius ...not even close. Now if you were talking about two of his prime influences, that would be a different story ...John Lydon and Ian Brown.

That's the first time I've 'liked' something, then the author's edited it, and I've had to 'unlike' it! :-D

• Options

Absolutely overrated band. Having said that I do like them, not even the best band to have come out of Manchester though. Rock music for chavs at the end of the day.

Arctic Monkeys I'd say changed the game more and have evolved their sound a lot more than oasis ever did. If you think good indie/working class rock didn't exist before oasis you need to do some more listening. Having said that they were a big part of the 90s British music scene in which decent musicians were a real rarity. Blur were better though.

That makes me a chav then. Seriously, overrated?

The Roses are my favourite ever band, I love The Inspirals, Smiths, New Order et al.

Definitely Maybe was brilliant, even more so if you had it on vinyl with Sad Song included. Their B sides alone blow most modern stuff clean out of the water.

Be interesting to see how many people remember Arctic Monkeys stuff in 20 years time up against Oasis stuff and I say that as someone who likes the monkeys.

I know it's all subjective, but the first time I heard Supersonic drop in it was a game changer.

• Options
    Would put Arctic Monkeys' first album up there with the greats to come out of Britain.

Rest of them? Less so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    boggzy said:

stonemuse said:

That's the first time I've 'liked' something, then the author's edited it, and I've had to 'unlike' it! :-D

sorry boggzy ... knew that bit would be controversial lol
  • Options

Joy Division, New Order, The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets and The Smiths are 6 bands off the top of my head from Manchester that I prefer. I guess I just find Indy very dull, musics very subjective of course.

So is the term indy by the sound of it.
  • Options
    First two albums very good - the rest average at best.

The whole Madchester thing did set the cultural theme for the 90's but generally I feel Oasis were overrated (but not as much as the Stone Roses were!). The Smiths were the best of the Manchester bunch in my opinion - but that's what's great about music appreciation as it's totally subjective.

Riviera's comment about St Pepper sums them up to me - with a bit of Kinks and Small Faces (now there was a band!) thrown in for good measure.

Having said all of that - I've got every album Oasis ever made!!
  • Options
    Glastonbury this year please
  • Options
    red_murph said:

That makes me a chav then. Seriously, overrated?

The Roses are my favourite ever band, I love The Inspirals, Smiths, New Order et al.

Definitely Maybe was brilliant, even more so if you had it on vinyl with Sad Song included. Their B sides alone blow most modern stuff clean out of the water.

Be interesting to see how many people remember Arctic Monkeys stuff in 20 years time up against Oasis stuff and I say that as someone who likes the monkeys.

I know it's all subjective, but the first time I heard Supersonic drop in it was a game changer.

Nah, as I said, I do like Oasis I just don't like the legions of chavvy types that worship Liam Gallagher cos he's proper nawty. They are overrated, only made 2 great albums but people talk about them like the beatles, floyd, stones and the kinks. Not even close. Noel Gallagher ripped off a bunch of john lennon songs, even though he's probably the only seriously talented one, Beady Eye are just a glorified pub band. But then I quite like Noel and think Liam's an untalented twat, who's ego people mistake for charisma.

Arctic monkeys i'd say will get as big and get as long a legacy as Oasis but their musical palette already far exceeds anything the gallaghers have done. They came on the scene with *that* album that is (for me) more relatable than Definately Maybe and then didn't try to copy it. Oasis felt like they were trying to get the same formula over and over again. There's only so many times you can sing about being working class when you're a millionaire and living in a big house with a popstar wife.
  • Options

So is the term indy by the sound of it.
    I think you're right.
  • Options
    Everyone seems to bang on about the "only had two great albums" thing, but I reckon the rest of their albums would receive more praise if they hadn't released those first two. Be Here Now, Heathen Chemistry etc are all good rocking albums.

Even still, take the first two albums out of the mix and people still instantly recognize songs like "Stop Crying Your Heart Out", "Lyla", "Importance of Being Idle", "Stand By Me" etc and they still will in 20 years time.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Yep, nobody is going to convince me Arctic Monkeys have bettered their first album with any of the others

Be Here Now is a brilliant record and sounds bugger all like the first two

Anyways @buckshee‌ hope it goes well mate
  • Options
    Depeche Mode, Radiohead, Editors, Coldplay, The Fall, James