Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Calling all Oasis fans

Comments

• Oasis were a great band for their first 2 or 3 years, the B side collection The Masterplan is a cracking album and better than most band's A sides!

Of course, after then things went down hill a bit, there are a few more decent songs, but nothing ground breaking, and no sense of the artistic progression of a Radiohead or Damon Albarn

Oasis though do have the trump card of having a Charlton supporter in the band for most of their history (Steve White).
  • Oasis were a great band for their first 2 or 3 years, the B side collection The Masterplan is a cracking album and better than most band's A sides!

Of course, after then things went down hill a bit, there are a few more decent songs, but nothing ground breaking, and no sense of the artistic progression of a Radiohead or Damon Albarn

Oasis though do have the trump card of having a Charlton supporter in the band for most of their history (Steve White).

You mean his brother Alan. Though Steve did play a few live gigs with them when Alan had wrist problems.
  • Carter said:

Give me three better British bands of the last twenty years

The first 2 Oasis albums are fine and were a breath of fresh air at the time but

I'll give you 4

Thunder
    The Wildhearts
    Black Spiders
    Terrorvision

none as commercially successful (yet) as noel gallagher's scallys, nor are any of them so wearisomely derivative, more importantly, this 4 are all still performing

And Fiiish "Even kids born after 9/11 will pick up a guitar and strum out Wonderwall..." that's because it is childishly simplistic not because it resonates with them on any level, I taught it to my 9 year old nephew and he said 'this is like Mummy's Beatles record' - at 9 years of age he has no more idea what a Beatle was than he understands particle physics but he can hear a shameless lift

• Love them or hate them, they were part of a masive movement in the music scene for the early 90's. This was a great time to be around for the music! I personally love Oasis and am all over this event, tickets already booked.

Coldplay? Is that a serious comment......
  • I'm not a Coldplay fan, but they are much bigger than Oasis here and get airtime on our very classy indie station. I can't prove it but I reckon that will be true across most of Europe. European audiences kind of didn't get what's so cool about two brothers sneering at everybody and saying 'fook this, fook that' all the time on TV. Not knocking it, made me laugh too, but its very British, and doesnt have much to do with talent.
  • I'm not a Coldplay fan, but they are much bigger than Oasis here and get airtime on our very classy indie station. I can't prove it but I reckon that will be true across most of Europe. European audiences kind of didn't get what's so cool about two brothers sneering at everybody and saying 'fook this, fook that' all the time on TV. Not knocking it, made me laugh too, but its very British, and doesnt have much to do with talent.

If you took the attitude away from Oasis, then the music wouldn't be the same. Its the swagger and the arrogance that made their music so potent when it first came on the scene.

Coldplay couldn't ever pull off an 'Oasis style' track for that very reason.
  • I would certainly concede that Coldplay are even more overrated than Oasis!
  • buckshee said:

Oasis were a great band for their first 2 or 3 years, the B side collection The Masterplan is a cracking album and better than most band's A sides!

You mean his brother Alan. Though Steve did play a few live gigs with them when Alan had wrist problems.
    Of course! Steve White was Paul Weller's drummer for a long time...

• bobmunro said:

I would certainly concede that Coldplay are even more overrated than Oasis!

Oasis is rock music for chavs, Coldplay are music for people who don't like music. My generation's U2.
  • Carter said:

Give me three better British bands of the last twenty years

The first 2 Oasis albums are fine and were a breath of fresh air at the time but

I'll give you 4

Thunder
    The Wildhearts
    Black Spiders
    Terrorvision

none as commercially successful (yet) as noel gallagher's scallys, nor are any of them so wearisomely derivative, more importantly, this 4 are all still performing

And Fiiish "Even kids born after 9/11 will pick up a guitar and strum out Wonderwall..." that's because it is childishly simplistic not because it resonates with them on any level, I taught it to my 9 year old nephew and he said 'this is like Mummy's Beatles record' - at 9 years of age he has no more idea what a Beatle was than he understands particle physics but he can hear a shameless lift

That's a long old route to success for Thunder and The Wildhearts, just the 25 years wait so far. 27 for Terrorvision and Black Spiders have reached the heady heights of 59 with their second album. Luckily Cliff Richard is still performing too, and he has been around fifty years, so by that logic he must be better than all the bands you mention...

The bit about your nephew is just plain daft. Of course he knows who the Beatles are, because apparently he is the one who made the comparison with them.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:

I'm not a Coldplay fan, but they are much bigger than Oasis here and get airtime on our very classy indie station. I can't prove it but I reckon that will be true across most of Europe. European audiences kind of didn't get what's so cool about two brothers sneering at everybody and saying 'fook this, fook that' all the time on TV. Not knocking it, made me laugh too, but its very British, and doesnt have much to do with talent.

If you took the attitude away from Oasis, then the music wouldn't be the same. Its the swagger and the arrogance that made their music so potent when it first came on the scene.

Coldplay couldn't ever pull off an 'Oasis style' track for that very reason.
    I get that, but I think the question was asked, who is the biggest/ has had the greatest impact in that time, and when somebody pointed out Depeche Mode it reminded me that the answer is very different if you take in the view from the outside world. And the arrogance goes on long after the music has become history. Just recently I sat through Noel giving it the "we were fookin bigger than the Beatles" bit. And I thought, hang on a minute, each of the Beatles bar Ringo went on to be a superstar in their own right, whereas you and yer fookin brother are doin fook all with yer own bands, so fook off.
  • Hmm, would disagree with that considering Noel Gallagher has released a critically acclaimed solo album. His best work in a long, long time.

Beady Eye are not as strong a lineup without Noel, but still a decent band nonetheless. The comparisons to Oasis don't help them.

Noel and Liam Gallagher are both "superstars" in their own right.
  • Like I said before they are a band that always stimulate debate one way or another. I've never quite understood why if band's sound doesn't change much over the years then that's a bad thing.

I'm really looking forward to djing at this night. We are doing the main room after the band and as such will be playing the " floor fillers" .

I've been a massive Oasis fan since before they released their first single and they are probably the band I've seen the most (somewhere between 50 and 100 times) but I've got all sorts of records in my collection across the musical spectrum .
  • I've seen oasis probably 40 + times all over Europe

Had some proper days out in Lille Amsterdam Brussels Rome Milan Dublin Belfast London Edinburgh Glasgow etc

In my mind it's always been supporting the football team I never had . Whilst I love my club how good would it be to support Charlton all over Europe every year

I have followed in my opinion the best band of the last 30 years all over the place and if that's glory boy then so be it

Sometimes it's not about the music but about the buzz, meeting new mates , having a laugh. That's what I enjoy

• Just follow England away Southend ;-)

I know exactly what you mean though. Only seen them once - Wembley 09 with Kasabian supporting. What a day and what a line-up. Thought they were amazing that day!
  • I was there mate, just about

Actually thought kasabian were better on the day

• Also, Noel Gallagher, John Lennon would like his chordbook back.

Fed up with hearing that they are a Beatles copy. Elvis had a big influence on the sound of shakin Stevens but I never hear anyone doubting shakey's musical genius.
  • Noel Gallagher just announced he is releasing a new album, 'Chasing Yesterday', under the High Flying Birds name again. Going on tour in March.
  • cafctom said:

Noel Gallagher just announced he is releasing a new album, 'Chasing Yesterday', under the High Flying Birds name again. Going on tour in March.

Any idea when tickets go on sale?
  • Friday 17th October
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:

Friday 17th October

Cheers.
  • Might treat my old man 2 tickets for birthday 10th march date at 02 arena. Well, treating myself aswell.
  • Will do the Dublin one and combine with a business trip as can't do London date
  • Can't wait!! Going to book a few dates, he's awesome
  • I loved "Good to be free" at the white room and other track esquese(spelling lol) top songs
  • I loved "Good to be free" at the white room and other track esquese(spelling lol) top songs
  • You can say that again
  • What do you think of "Good to be free" uie2?