Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What would you do if one of your children told you they were gay/lesbian?

This parent is frightening. Fortunately, the advice columnist seems to have her head screwed on right, and her sarcasm meter turned up to eleven.

http://www.upworthy.com/read-the-witty-suggestion-an-advice-columnist-gives-to-a-homophobic-parent?c=ufb2

Comments

• Options
    I'd be shocked as I think at the age of three my kids wouldn't even know what that meant!
  • Options
    I saw that column a few days ago....is beyond me that people think homosexuality is a choice?? There is a funny youtube video that interviews people asking them about this very same thing....some give dark age answers to which the interviewer asks them "when did you choose to be hetrosexual"? nuff said!
  • Options
    The only thing I wouldn't tolerate is if my son came to me and said "Dad...I'm a Palace supporter"
  • Options
    I think all parents would have a modicum of initial disappointment, but is more about our selfish expectations. As others have said all we want for our kids is for them to be safe and happy.
  • Options
    Hahahahaa
  • Options
    My season ticket holding sister married a palace fan and he's a good fella and is more than reasonable by saying their kids can choose who they support
    I can live with that
    Anyone but millwall for me

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bcaddick said:

Welcome them and the partners with open arms into my family.

se9addick said:

The only thing I wouldn't tolerate is if my son came to me and said "Dad...I'm a Palace supporter"

These two for me
  • Options
    Funny how it turned from Gay to Palace within 4 replies. Shocked that it took that long tbh
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    People can be converted.......My wife was a West Ham fan when I met her and is now Charlton. As for the sexuality of a son or daughter. I couldn't love my son any less, whatever his choices. Being honest, I would probably be a little disapointed - but mainly because society is so intolerant that it can make a person's life that little bit harder.
  • Options

This parent is frightening. Fortunately, the advice columnist seems to have her head screwed on right, and her sarcasm meter turned up to eleven.

http://www.upworthy.com/read-the-witty-suggestion-an-advice-columnist-gives-to-a-homophobic-parent?c=ufb2

That is a great response.
  • Options
    Surely the correct response would be "Why are you bothering me with this inconsequential dross when I've got an FA Cup QF to worry about?"
  • Options
    Worse things will happen to you in life than having gay off spring.
    If my son told me he was gay (not that is very likely, dirty little sod) he would still be my son.
  • Options
    Such funny people on here. !
    Millwall would be the limit for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My only experience of this was my niece. Tbh when she told us she was gay I was really proud of her. You have to be what you are, and try to be happy as best you can., while you can.
  • Options
    Life's too short at the end of the day so like many have said already, if my daughter told us she was gay, I'd be just as happy as I would be if she was straight
  • Options
    I've two daughters and if that's the way they are, they and their partners will be welcomed with open arms. If they choose to see Palace supporters, I'll live with it.
    My mother in law is from Andalucia, and if they come home in a relationship with someone from there, I'll go get my shotgun!
  • Options
    What would I do? Absolutely nothing - so what!! What would you do if your children said they were heterosexual? Sexuality makes absolutely no difference whatsoever! People are people and that's it! If anyone has issues with the gay/lesbian question I genuinely pity their outdated, narrow minded, archaic attitude.
  • Options
    PS: Don't get me on what the bible says!
  • Options
    If we had children I'd just say 'as long as you are happy then I'm happy'.
  • Options
    My sister is lesbian and as long she is happy then it's fine by me and I don't love her any less than at any other time in my life. Same would apply to any kids I have. It should be unconditional with family.
  • Options
    My mum is gay, and so is my sister; would be strange of me to make a big deal of it if my daughter turns out to be.

As for the article, the question was clearly not written by a serious person. I assume it was written by/for the columnist, just so they could say their piece. Read the question, no one would ever say those things.
  • Options

PS: Don't get me on what the bible says!

It says almost nothing on the subject, but sadly that doesn't stop bigoted people from using it to justify their views.