Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

cricket. who plays? who have you played for?

13»

Comments

• Options
    If any of you happened to be playing in a certain highly contentious game in SE12 yesterday, I was the one who stormed off at the end yelling obscenities. The Kent leagues, unfortunately, support a select few teams who play to win at any cost, including flagrant cheating, intimidation and utter lack of sportsmanship. Which wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so crap, nearly losing to a ragtag bunch of kids (male and female), sexagenarians and occasionals despite the best efforts of their umpire
  • Options
    Leuth said:

If any of you happened to be playing in a certain highly contentious game in SE12 yesterday, I was the one who stormed off at the end yelling obscenities. The Kent leagues, unfortunately, support a select few teams who play to win at any cost, including flagrant cheating, intimidation and utter lack of sportsmanship. Which wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so crap, nearly losing to a ragtag bunch of kids (male and female), sexagenarians and occasionals despite the best efforts of their umpire

Cant find your tablets ,Leuth ?
  • Options
    I don't think I'd have been so enraged if I hadn't run myself out with my side on top, only for us to fall apart
  • Options
    The teams i play for only play friendly games...just the enjoyment of playing no pressure of league points and very few arseholes!!
  • Options
    NWCorner said:

I play for Downham & Bellingham and have done for 28 years. We obviously have a CAFC connection with Gritty and Mark Penfold still playing in the 2nds, Paddy P umpiring and Jonny Bumstead just drinking all day ! We are on the lookout for good quality players for either our 1s or 2s if anyone fancies ?

When Greenwich borough club shut down a few of ours went to downham and Bellingham.
    Alan Lucas, mark Penfold, Brian ferris, Ian Borland all went I think.
    Maybe Gary Watkins and Paul finch also, though last I heard Paul was at chislehurst and west kent.
  • Options
    Finchie is indeed at Chisles; playing for the two's, as he did last year.
  • Options
    NWCorner said:

I play for Downham & Bellingham and have done for 28 years. We obviously have a CAFC connection with Gritty and Mark Penfold still playing in the 2nds, Paddy P umpiring and Jonny Bumstead just drinking all day ! We are on the lookout for good quality players for either our 1s or 2s if anyone fancies ?

Not sure if this still stands but I'd like to come down and play? RH batsman, probably 2s standard.
  • Options
    kent
    england
    rest of the world X1
    all stars stick cricket
  • Options

The teams i play for only play friendly games...just the enjoyment of playing no pressure of league points and very few arseholes!!

Same here - play for a North London team based in Highgate. Can't be bothered with some of the nonsense in league cricket these days, though we have had to drop a couple of teams over the years because they were a bunch of tools. Even in friendlies.

One of the teams we regularly play are Charlatans (great name), who play at the Royal Artillery in Ha Ha Road. A couple of good Charlton boys down there, if any of you know them?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

if its SNKCL game and you do have a grievance please in box me to discuss ....

cheers

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Played for Pilgrims for several years.

Thankfully friendlies only. Even they got stupid in the end. We dropped 3 teams in the last season I played.
  • Options
    I played for Greenwich Borough
  • Options
    I play at Old Colfeians when I'm feeling alright about my torn ACL. Used to skipper the 5th XI before we decided to streamline to 4 teams. Was a thankless task, that.

@Leuth that wasn't an Aero game against us was it? Cos you definitely described the team we put out yesterday (I was in the other fixture which was a friendly vs Beckenham). I've definitely had my fair share of blowups over contentious decisions and that.
  • Options
    My last club 'down south' was Eridge near Tunbridge Wells. Lovely little ground on a private estate (check their website). Up here I played for a local Cleethorpes club for a couple of seasons, just 20/20 evening league and the odd sunday game but had to retire through illness. But the age I am at now, retirement through old age was imminent even before illness had the last word. LOVED playing cricket much much more that watching
    just a reminder of how much I miss playing ((:>)
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    a couple of people have mentioned on other threads that they play cricket.
    i am taking it back up this year, after a 15 year or so gap.
    this year i am playing for new eltham lads & dads (playing as shootershillians sunday 2nd XI)
    i previously played for

london schools
    kent schools
    oxleas colts
    london borough greenwich

Sounds similar to me...

School teams (was first team captain)

Greenwich Schools

London schools

Various local (NW Kent) teams

Had trials for Kent schools but failed miserably.

A couple of teams in Cape Town (if you want aggresssive cricket, thats where to go!)

And the piece de resistance, i have played at International level. ( i came on for Luxembourg CC for 20 mins when they were playing Belgium when one of our players wanted to go for a piss and a fag).

• Options
    Phoenix Sports, Royal Brüssels CC, United Nations CC, Vienna. Played three times for Belgium against The Netherlands. 😀 All a long, long time ago!
  • Options

The thread title got me thinking and the phrase "Journeyman" comes to mind....

It's a fairly long list....

Colts;

Southall

Harrow

GWR

Southall again....

LB of Ealing

Brent Schools (as a bit of a ringer)

Middlesex Colts

Middlesex Schools

Adults;

Harlesden Wanderers

Southall

GWR

Maori Club

Southall again...

Mitcham

Ickenham

Paralytics

Surrey Div 2

Middlesex Over 50's

With guest appearances for;

West Kent

Birkbeck College

Fireflies

Kodak

Old Lyonians

Cambridge Granta

Harrow Wednesday

NPL

Budleigh Salterton

Sidmouth

Kingskerswell

And yes still play. Missed a straight one yesterday and got cleaned out for not very many.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Simonsen said:

The thread title got me thinking and the phrase "Journeyman" comes to mind....

It's a fairly  very long list....

And yes still play. Missed a straight one yesterday and got cleaned out for not very many.

more clubs than  ….. errrr .. TaylorMade ((:>)
  • Options
    Chis & Sid (got hit on the hip by the late Graham Dilley when he played for Dartford West!) Sidcup for 30 years (mainly Sat 3rd/Sun 2nd) The aforementioned (by Chirpy) Elsid Eldest boy plays for Old Shoots & used to play for Bickley 3rds Youngest boy plays for Bexley & the District U10s
    In the six years since I posted the eldest has given up playing weekend cricket due to work commitments but has turned out for his firm.

The youngest has played for all Bexley sides starting with the 6s through to the 1s in the Club Cricket Conference Cup this season. He also played for Kent age groups from U11 through to U15 and even got a call up for Kent 2s when they were desperate for a keeper back in May - sadly GCSEs ruined the chances of making that gig!
  • Options
    Earlier this year I took a call at work from someone who wants to know about cricket pitch availability, get chatting and it turns out he is the 6ft 9 West Indian bowler that played for SIMBA in 1986 and made me miss the ‘hand of god’ World Cup quarter final as I spent the evening at the brook hospital after I top edged a short ball from him, straight into my hooter.

Oh how he, and the rest of my office laughed.
    He did apologise (after 33 years).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I haven't played a proper game of cricket for over 20 years now ... although some would question whether I played properly before!

Erith School

UEA 3rd XI

Phoenix

• Options
    Eynsford and Farningham Colts 
    Dartford Grammar School all ages to First XI
    Coggeshall 1st, 2nd and 3rd XI (Essex / Sussex 2 Counties League)
    Kent Schools 
    North West Kent District 
    Lewisham Wanderers

Liked it.  But football got in the way.

Then marriage.
    Then golf. 

Occasionally fancy the odd game still.

Right arm fast medium.  Quick enough on a quick track.

Batted anywhere between 1 and 6.

Probably played a higher standard due to being able to do a bit of everthing and could field / keep wicket too.

A T20 player 25 years too soon......