Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Speed Awareness Course

Comments

• Options

Riviera said:

Does anybody know anything about the kent speed awareness course? Is it worth doing or less hassle to pay the fine and take the points?

God weary as feck and it's 5 hours of your day but definitely do it to avoid the points mate.

I did mine two weeks ago, ha ha. You get two breaks and they provide tea/coffee/water but nothing else. So take some food to pick.

Boring but as I said, you avoid the points!
    5hours?? Jeez not sure he'll have the patience for that lol.
    Yes I turned up at 1 thinking I'd only be there an hour, then they hit me with, "we'll aim to be done at quarter to 5!!

And they are patronising! Extremely patronising! The bloke tried telling me I had to turn off my phone and wasn't allowed it on the desk.

I told him to jog on I'm not in school any more!

Geek!
    Obviously wasted on you and you'll clock up many more points and other offences with attitudes like yours.
    Thanks for that Dr. Seuss.
  • Options
    MSE7 said:

Addickted said:

MSE7 said:

Addickted said:

My missus has just done it.

She quite enjoyed it and felt she learnt a lot.

£15 cheaper than the fine and no points on your license, so take the opportunity. You won't get it again.

Your Mrs enjoyed doing a speed awareness course!!!

I don't think your meant to enjoy it..Its a punishment
    No, it's called education.

You should try it.

Well maybe you should think before coming on here glorifying your wife's satisfaction for breaking the law.

It's people like her who put my premiums up. Makes me sick.

Not gloryfying anything - just responding to Sadie's request for information. Along with a few other helpful posters.

Anyway, why should it push your premiums up. Like me she has a clean license.

And I bet we pay less for our insurance than you as well.

• Options
    Lol. Even so if your mrs wants to drive around like Jenson button that's her business!
  • Options
    Definitely do it, a no brainer.... and actually quite interesting, refreshed a few things I had forgotten and also updated me as to a few things I didn't know, no points and less than the fine.
    By the way for anyone who uses Dartford Cossing regularly the approach to the bridge average speed cameras have been active for the past 3 months, - getting us ready for removal of toll booths fairly soon, when it goes to number plate recognition- and like me most of the peeps on my course had been caught there, 58 in a 50 and I was keeping with the flow of the traffic!!
  • Options
    Guy at work got done for speeding, on his way home from his speed awareness course!!!!
  • Options
    One word of caution.

In the past one of the big advantages of the course was that insurance companies didn't get the opportunity to hike up your premium because of a speeding conviction. But I understand some have now started to treat attendance at a course in the same way as a 3 point penalty.
    See this article: bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20328860
    Might be worth discussing - on a hypothetical basis of course - with your insurance company to find out what their attitude is and line up a move to a different company at renewal time.

Oh, and please don't mention this at the course, they don't like it: "Exceeding the speed limit was reported as a factor in 5 per cent of accidents". That quote is from the DoT's own report for 2011 and it also says "Failure to look properly was again the most frequently reported contributory factor and was reported in 42 per cent of all accidents".

But, of course, having a "look where you are going" course rather than a speed awareness course would rather blow the case for the cash generative speed cameras out of the water wouldn't it?

• Options
    madadd said:

Definitely do it, a no brainer.... and actually quite interesting, refreshed a few things I had forgotten and also updated me as to a few things I didn't know, no points and less than the fine.
    By the way for anyone who uses Dartford Cossing regularly the approach to the bridge average speed cameras have been active for the past 3 months, - getting us ready for removal of toll booths fairly soon, when it goes to number plate recognition- and like me most of the peeps on my course had been caught there, 58 in a 50 and I was keeping with the flow of the traffic!!

Thanks for that tip about the crossing. You don't happen to know how the cameras deal with the change from 50 mph down to 40 mph as you approach the barriers do you?
  • Options
    I thought this thread was going to be about Jose's training methods?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I went to one up here last year, the room was full to the brim about 40 or so people, most people was over 30 years old too, the two blokes presenting it was kind of okay and initially there was an open discussion about speeding, some were saying it was unfair that they had been done by doing something like 34 in a 30 whilst others just sat in silence just looking at the table.

I asked them if the Government/safety groups/Police were so concerned about speeding why don't they install average speed cameras on every road? but he didn't really give me a straight answer and the whole room went quiet, I didn't intentionally want to make the bloke uncomfortable because he did seem a genuine guy but it just goes to show it's a money making scheme.

There are arguments that this course could improve your driving for a day or so, but after a week you're gonna be doing 35/36 in a 30 again. We have to live with it though otherwise it's 3 points, or let a mate take them for you (which is illegal and shouldn't be done ;) )
  • Options

Sadiejane. I'm I right in thinking that on another thread you stated that you were a full time recipient of benefits, or have I confused you with someone else?

Full time recipient of benefits?? Strange way of putting it I receive some benefits most people with kids get some benefits. I am a full time carer, I have 2 children with disabilities. Does that change anything?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sadie are you female?
  • Options

Sadie are you female?

Wtf? How many men do you know called Sadie?
    LOL quite a few

• Options

Sadie are you female?

LOL quite a few

A bit weird in Sheffield lol, are you really a pig? ;-)
  • Options

Sadie are you female?

It's different up north don't forget.
  • Options

Sadie are you female?

LOL quite a few

A bit weird in Sheffield lol, are you really a pig? ;-)
    How dare you, that's the grunters at BL who are the pigs!

• Options

Sadiejane. I'm I right in thinking that on another thread you stated that you were a full time recipient of benefits, or have I confused you with someone else?

Full time recipient of benefits?? Strange way of putting it I receive some benefits most people with kids get some benefits. I am a full time carer, I have 2 children with disabilities. Does that change anything?
    'Full time recipient of benefits' was the politest phrase I could think of.

To me it does change everything and I don't understand why you even asked the original question. By your very nature you would be cash poor, but time rich.

Being given an option to save what would be a significant amount of money and having to attend a one day course without risking loss of income or sacrificing a precious days holiday is simply no brainer to a person in your situation and I'm genuinely baffled as to why you even asked the original question.
    Why does it matter so much?

I find it rather odd that you should analyse it so much, what's your problem pal?
  • Options

Sadie are you female?

LOL quite a few

And how many of them have the second name Jane? ;-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

Sadie are you female?

LOL quite a few

And how many of them have the second name Jane? ;-0
    Listen mate, I don't get round to second names......;)

• Options
    Thank you Kap and OP. I have never seen anything so ignorant on this site and I've never been made to feel as small as he just did.

• Options
    Davo55 said:

'Full time recipient of benefits' was the politest phrase I could think of.

To me it does change everything and I don't understand why you even asked the original question. By your very nature you would be cash poor, but time rich.

Being given an option to save what would be a significant amount of money and having to attend a one day course without risking loss of income or sacrificing a precious days holiday is simply no brainer to a person in your situation and I'm genuinely baffled as to why you even asked the original question.
    You are bang out of order pal. This is the shittiest post I've seen on here. Nasty git.
    Sadly it's all to common in society these days, programs like Benefits street poisoning peoples minds and the Tory government targeting people that actually need benefits has just created a bad image for whoever has to claim them, don't want to hijack this thread into another subject but I also find it very poor from a so called fellow fan to somewhat make an attack on another in that way, very poor form.
  • Options
    Thanks legal and davo x
  • Options

Sadie are you female?

Brilliant, pure brilliance!
  • Options

Thank you Kap and OP. I have never seen anything so ignorant on this site and I've never been made to feel as small as he just did.

I don't get what a speeding ticket had to do with benefits....???

Ignore him girl! ;)