Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poyet best ever youngster

After consistent performances for a struggling team and getting attention from likes or barca and arsenal. His composure, touch, vision is fantastic, good engine and all senior players look for him. You watch Jackson always looks for Diego.

My question is this, since going I've seen Parker at peak but he was mature when he left, Poyet is 18 I think so is he our best ever youth product?

Need to get him signed will boost whole team if they know we have him

Would be interested to see what the majority say, after that run yesterday round four players and the perfect outside boot pass to offside church. In terms of youngster he is something special and entertaining to watch but is he the best ?

Other candidates

Bower?
Parker?
Konchesky?
Cousins?
Shelley?

Comments

• Options
    Paul Walsh for natural talent.
  • Options
    How about Keith Peacock he was a Youth Player for us wasnt he?
  • Options
    Wonga will be the loudest voice in this discussion.
  • Options
    Bowyer had a goals tally in double figures in this division at the age of 17 and went onto play in a Champions League semi-final.

Poyet is nowhere near the level of Parker at his peak (2004) but he is younger than Parker was at that point. Parker also went on to play Champions League football, played at international tournaments and has captained England.

You've missed out Rob Lee too

Time will tell but Parker wins for me with Bowyer a close second.
  • Options
    Have only seen Diego on the box v Sheff Weds & Utd where he seemed to be playing behind Ben Hamer! What I don't understand is, if he is really that good, why is it we are still creating very little and scoring even less? With two young energetic, and by all accounts, excellent, central midfielders, we should be getting multiple goal scoring opportunities each game and even the odd goal from midfield.
  • Options
    Poyet's way too good for us. He deserves better and will be gone in 2014. Shame really.
  • Options
    Hard to see past Parker. He was the best tackler in the Premiership whilst he was with us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bonds, Alan Campbell, Paul Elliot, Walsh, Minto, Rufus, Newton, Parker, Bowyer.
  • Options

Have only seen Diego on the box v Sheff Weds & Utd where he seemed to be playing behind Ben Hamer! What I don't understand is, if he is really that good, why is it we are still creating very little and scoring even less? With two young energetic, and by all accounts, excellent, central midfielders, we should be getting multiple goal scoring opportunities each game and even the odd goal from midfield.

Neither are goalscorers and our options out wide are poor. Up front there's no one that can hold up the ball that they can link up with. Cousins has also spent time playing out wide.

When they have created a chance we miss it, e.g. when Poyet put Sordell through against Huddersfield.
  • Options
    Paul Walsh is the best 18 yo I've ever seen at Charlton by far. But anyway I'm sure Diego will go on to be a premiership player before too much longer.
  • Options

Poyet is doing his job very effective ly, breaking up play in front of the back four and passing to a red shirt almost every time. It's the others he passes to that are losing possession so easily that is causing the problem.
  • Options
    taking age into consideration I would say Bowyer - he was only 16 when he had his debut & was playing regularly a year later. I would say he was better than Poyet at the same age & went forwards as well as tracking back to defend...........and never shirked a tackle neither.

Parker isn't far behind but he was a couple of years older when he broke into the team & Curbs also sent him out on loan to Norwich so he got games behind him before really playing for us.

Paul Walsh was a great prospect but I didn't see much of him as I missed a lot of games in the late 70's & early 80's due to playing football on a Saturday afternoon.
  • Options
    Rufus.

If he went Spurs or something he would've been more recognised in broader football as a top class player.
  • Options
    Like Queensland I have only seen Poyet on TV, so I can't really judge. But I do hope as he has a very rich Dad that he does not chase the money, and end up wasting a number of years before settling at a middling Prem club like so many others before him like Parker, S. Wright-Phillips, Sidwell and now seems Zaha is probably going the same way. He should spend at least another season with us before weighing up his options.
  • Options
    Gomez is better than Poyet. Just hope he gets to play for us.
  • Options
    Not seen Gomez play, but what I hear about him, and to an extent Edwards and Ahearne Grant and Holmes Dennis I worry massively about relegation. These 6 (including cousins and Poyet) could be the back rock of a fabulous charlton team full of youth players (esp if you add Solly and Wilson to the mix), but how do we get those not yet signed up to sign prof contracts for a league one team?
  • Options
    Bowyer and Parker are close.. As a youngster Bowyer IMO but Parker had better career
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

What's odd is Shelvey stood out straight away. Until Poyet broke through some of those that regularly watched the U18s said he wasn't that good a prospect.

I saw the youth cup game v Chelsea last season and thought Palmer was the stand out midfielder (and obviously Chelsea agreed). Poyet looked a better prospect than Muldoon and Gerard but I didn't see a player that was a year away from the first team, never mind someone that could put in the sort of performances that he has recently.

He's not only playing well each game but you can also see him growing in confidence and looking to add more to the attacking side of his game.

This is exactly my view. And I'm very puzzled. Shelvey first played as a sixteen year old and immediately looked a class act. He wasn't eighteen until half way through our first season down in Division One whilst Poyet is nineteen in May. I also thought Poyet looked ordinary in that FA Youth Cup tie (and that Palmer was the stand out) and even against Bromley in pre season he didn't really look the part. However, after just a hand full of games it's clear he's easily good enough for the Championship. What's happened?

I read somewhere that he'd been very ill (not sure quite when) and I wonder if that put back his development so that only now are we beginning to see his true potential?

The game has changed so much in a relatively short space of time so it's hard to make comparisons, but right now Poyet appears to have the potential to succeed at one of the big Clubs whereas neither Bowyer or Parker quite achieved that. Only time will tell whether he's capable of realising that potential.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Bowyer didn't succeed at a big club? Leeds?
  • Options
    I would say he is the best teenager since Bowyer , Parker never really pushed on until he came back from a loan at Norwich when he was 20.

Potentially I think Diego could be the pick of the crop. I would love to have him for another year.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I think that he is the best youngster I've seen in the first team at 18 since Bowyer. Parker was a couple of years older when he broke through. Poyet will probably go on to be the best youngster we have ever produced. If you were watching him for the first time you would not believe he had played barely ten league games. It seems effortless for him. He knows what he is going to do with the ball before he's even got it. He is also continually making himself available, wanting the ball. I'm resigned to the fact he will be off in the summer and resigned to the fact we will get around 400k initially for him but hopeful that will rise gradually to closer 3m. The fact we won't get more can't be laid at RD's door but probably can be at TJ's.

However, I just hope he makes the right decision for his career. I'd hate to see him leave and then disappear for a season or two into some top four's massive squad. He's better than that. He needs to be playing and from what I've seen that should be in the PL. If not, and if we stay up, I'd love to have him back on a season long loan. I'd hate to see him back on loan for Watford, Leeds etc.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Assuming we stay up i think he will be better having another season or two with us, rather then getting lost in the huge youth systems at any of the richest clubs in this country but if Barcelona are serious then he should go, i just hope he at least signs a deal so we get a real fee rather then screwed over by the system, it is the least he can do surely?

Edit: Just to add, i think he does have the potential to be our best ever youth prospect, if he does not make the "Parker" mistake of taking the money now rather then playing regular football.
  • Options
    I think he looks better because the rest of side is so poor so stands out?
    Where as parker was in a prem team playing well and still stood out?
  • Options
    Bowyer. Should have done a lot more. Bad attitude cost him IMO.
  • Options
    Bowyer by some distance for me.

Parker ended up being brilliant but he was a passenger in his first few games (the Norwich loan made him).

Bowyer was an instant success, all over the pitch and in front of goal. He carried a pretty mediocre team into a play-off finish. To get a hat-trick from midfield against a Premier League team was on a different level altogether.

Robert Lee was really entertaining and very quick in his early years but he was a misser of chances. Later on he moved to right midfield and started scoring goals from outside the box.

Poyet looks really good and I'd love to see him on a decent pitch!
  • Options
    Very true about joe gomez, this guy needs to be tied down to a long contract along with poyet.

Joe Gomez Will be the best player we have probably ever made just hope he stays with us, mark my words the kid is absolute mustard
  • Options
    How close is Gomez to the first team? He's 16 but could it be sooner than we think if Morro and Dervite leave in the summer?