Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poyet best ever youngster

2»

Comments

• Options
    masicat said:

Bowyer. Should have done a lot more. Bad attitude cost him IMO.

seconded

• Options

Very true about joe gomez, this guy needs to be tied down to a long contract along with poyet.

Joe Gomez Will be the best player we have probably ever made just hope he stays with us, mark my words the kid is absolute mustard

the streamed game against southampton he looked ridiculously comfortable on the ball for a centre half. Was making passes many prem defenders wouldn't dare make. Agreed he's going to be quality, but at 16 would probably get the shit kicked out of him.
  • Options

How about Keith Peacock he was a Youth Player for us wasnt he?

Yes, but he just wasn't in that class.
  • Options
    I think he's a rare shining light in a shower of shite. He's basically this seasons semedo but people double the hype because of academy effect.

If someone told him it isn't rugby and he is allowed to pass forward he would be ten times better.

He's my favourite player this season but some people need to get a grip to be honest. If he wasn't from the academy people would be a lot quieter. If ajdarevic was 18 and had spent a few years in the academy people would be wanting to marry him.
  • Options
    Paul Walsh, by a country mile. Looked a class above every player on the pitch (including the opposition) on his debut.
  • Options
    Poyet is playing well and is a good prospect but to talk of him in terms of Parker or Bowyer at this stage is frankly quite ridiculous after half a dozen games
  • Options
    Defo most over hyped at the minute.
  • Options
    but we are comparing them at the same stage of their career's and at that point Poyet, for me, is better than Shelvey/Parker were but not as good as Bowyer was.
  • Options
    Bowyer and Rufus for me made the best impact on the team almost immediately. Parker made his debut at 16 in 1997 but for me something clicked with him in December 2000 away at Man city following a loan spell at Norwich.
    Poyet has looked very good since coming into the team. However, he is still a boy who will have off games every so often (Leicester away). If he continues to develop I see no reason why he cannot go on to do what Jonjo and parker have achieved.
  • Options
    Past -
    Parker when he left us was genuinely world class. He's had a superb career but I feel he should have done more - Chelsea was a big mistake (not financially) as he lost momentum in his career. He should have a stack more England caps.

Bowyer was exciting and, as someone who played with him for the best part of a season in the youth team, was naturally the most gifted player I played with. He had everything. Pace, goals, vision - but unfortunately also a screw loose. Win's this argument for me.

Never saw much of Walshy as I am too young - however Rob Lee was awesome when I was a kid. As good as he was with us though - he really stepped up his game at Newcastle.

Shelvey - whilst undeniably talented - never really set the world on fire with us. You could see he was going to be special but we were too expectant of him and the pressure told. Too many games went by where he wasn't involved enough and his lack of pace meant he wasn't able to get into it.

Minto was extremely classy on the ball and always exciting. A bit like Wiggins when he is on form he was very hard to get by and tricky going forwards.

Present -
    Cousins and Poyet are the two different types of DCM you can get. One is very athletic and the other is calmness personified. Whether they work well together remains to be seen but the pair of them should go on to play top flight football. Poyet has Premier league written all over him because he finds time and space (some could argue it's because he is in deep positions) whereas Cousins is more of an all-action type pf player

Harriott - Not doing it for me in the slightest. Needs to slow down and take a touch. Could be devastating but at the moment is too lightweight and tries too many tricks. With some proper coaching he could have a real breakthrough season next year but at the moment he is infuriating.

For the Future - Joe Gomez is the man. Seen him a couple of times and he's stood out by a mile. A lot like Rio but without being a twat with it. There used to be a brilliant pic on his twitter of him and some classmates from school. He looks like a man in a nicely tailored grey suit and all around him are classmates who look about half his size in their ill fitting school blazers. HE really is a man amongst boys!

Nick Pope has a lot of potential too. When I see him warming up his handling is very very good. He comes for crosses all the time and his distribution seems decent. Could be one to watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Past -
    Parker when he left us was genuinely world class. He's had a superb career but I feel he should have done more - Chelsea was a big mistake (not financially) as he lost momentum in his career. He should have a stack more England caps.

Bowyer was exciting and, as someone who played with him for the best part of a season in the youth team, was naturally the most gifted player I played with. He had everything. Pace, goals, vision - but unfortunately also a screw loose. Win's this argument for me.

Never saw much of Walshy as I am too young - however Rob Lee was awesome when I was a kid. As good as he was with us though - he really stepped up his game at Newcastle.

Shelvey - whilst undeniably talented - never really set the world on fire with us. You could see he was going to be special but we were too expectant of him and the pressure told. Too many games went by where he wasn't involved enough and his lack of pace meant he wasn't able to get into it.

Minto was extremely classy on the ball and always exciting. A bit like Wiggins when he is on form he was very hard to get by and tricky going forwards.

Present -
    Cousins and Poyet are the two different types of DCM you can get. One is very athletic and the other is calmness personified. Whether they work well together remains to be seen but the pair of them should go on to play top flight football. Poyet has Premier league written all over him because he finds time and space (some could argue it's because he is in deep positions) whereas Cousins is more of an all-action type pf player

Harriott - Not doing it for me in the slightest. Needs to slow down and take a touch. Could be devastating but at the moment is too lightweight and tries too many tricks. With some proper coaching he could have a real breakthrough season next year but at the moment he is infuriating.

For the Future - Joe Gomez is the man. Seen him a couple of times and he's stood out by a mile. A lot like Rio but without being a twat with it. There used to be a brilliant pic on his twitter of him and some classmates from school. He looks like a man in a nicely tailored grey suit and all around him are classmates who look about half his size in their ill fitting school blazers. HE really is a man amongst boys!

Nick Pope has a lot of potential too. When I see him warming up his handling is very very good. He comes for crosses all the time and his distribution seems decent. Could be one to watch.

Does anyone know when Joe Gomez is 17, this is the time I believe when players sign their first main contract. From all I have read, this guy is some player and there is bound to be loads of interest from Prem clubs. It would be a relief like it was with Scott Parker if this Joe Gomez signed up with us.

• Options
    Does anyone know when Joe Gomez is 17, this is the time I believe when players sign their first main contract. From all I have read, this guy is some player and there is bound to be loads of interest from Prem clubs. It would be a relief like it was with Scott Parker if this Joe Gomez signed up with us.

Pressed send to quick, didn't mean to type "this" Joe Gomez, we only have one Joe Gomez and a very good one at that.

• Options
    He's 17 next month.
  • Options
    I'd put Billy Bonds and Scott Parker as the top two.
  • Options
    I thought Parker was the best
  • Options
    I think Poyet has the potential to be.

I'm certain he'll become a Premiership player. I think he will go on to play for a top 4 club and England personally. He reads the game exceptionally well for an 18 year old and his range of passing is brilliant.

Right now though, it's Scott Parker.

Watch out for Joe Gomez. The next Rio Ferdinand IMO.
  • Options
    flynners said:

After consistent performances for a struggling team and getting attention from likes or barca and arsenal. His composure, touch, vision is fantastic, good engine and all senior players look for him. You watch Jackson always looks for Diego.

My question is this, since going I've seen Parker at peak but he was mature when he left, Poyet is 18 I think so is he our best ever youth product?

Need to get him signed will boost whole team if they know we have him

Would be interested to see what the majority say, after that run yesterday round four players and the perfect outside boot pass to offside church. In terms of youngster he is something special and entertaining to watch but is he the best ?

Other candidates

Bower?
    Parker?
    Konchesky?
    Cousins?
    Shelley?

ooh matron don't call me 'Shelley'
  • Options
    Generally speaking i'd say the best players we bring through are normally hard working, resilient, with good engines but not a great deal of flair. Shelvey had a bit of flair but i don't think he is as good as Poyet and didn't really command a place in a league 1 side. So, having considered that and accepting the likes of Walsh and Lee played at the top level as well and had some flair i'd still say that Poyet is the biggest talent i've seen come through.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

I think he's a rare shining light in a shower of shite. He's basically this seasons semedo but people double the hype because of academy effect.

If someone told him it isn't rugby and he is allowed to pass forward he would be ten times better.

He's my favourite player this season but some people need to get a grip to be honest. If he wasn't from the academy people would be a lot quieter. If ajdarevic was 18 and had spent a few years in the academy people would be wanting to marry him.

With all greatest respect - nonsense.
  • Options
    Very hard question to answer but Poyet looks every inch a footballer of quite some talent and potential. He dosent make many mistakes and keeps it simple (or more likley,makes it look easy). The flick on for the 3rd (?) goal the other night sort of showed what he is caplable of rather than how he has been told to play within the team. We might as well compare apples and oranges, different players and times.
    I 'm just enjoying watching him play fro us now, as we all know what happens with players with value.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    People are going well over the top with Poyet. I see several 9/10 on the player scores. Them scores are blind love for the kid. He was as bad as anyone in the first half. Gave the ball away numerous times but he can do no wrong so it gets undetected.

Yet to see him take a game by the scruff of the neck against quality opposition.

Good tackler, good positional sense and can see the odd pass. He isn't the next Pirlo or Xavi ffs.

A good prospect yes but some seem to think he is far, far better than he currently is.
  • Options
    Diego is very good, and has brightened up the end of a dull season. He is also getting better as he gets more first team experience.

A lot of people forget that Parker made his debut at 16, but after a year or two, he went off radar, then had his Norwich loan and it was after that that he broke into the first team and never looked back. He was fantastic by 2003/4, but I'm not sure if he was much better than Diego at just 18?

For me, the best youngster we produced was Paul Walsh. Debut at 16 (in Div 2) and looked good, then at 17 (albeit now in 3rd Division) he was unstoppable. We got promoted and he continued to improve and was again excellent in League 2 (now Championship) before eventually being sold to pay the bills. His early play for Luton in the top division showed how fabulous he really was.

An honourable mention should also go to Lee Bowyer and Scott Minto, two other brilliant youngsters. Bow just could not be contained, while Scotty was sheer class. If Diego can be as good as these three, we genuinely have a diamopnd on our hands (but for how long?!?).