Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why can't we score?

Comments

• Options

Your hoofing game won't get you anywhere. It's the team as a whole that can't produce productive passes.

I'm sure you have a great vantage point from over there in California, so know better than I over here, but I respectfully disagree with your hoofing comment.

It's a combination of low confidence and players that aren't good enough. Something that could and should have been worked on in January.

I know you're one of his biggest fans and perhaps rightfully so, but Reza is too weak for English football. He also can't seem to get to grips with the speed of the game. And somebody needs to tell him that he's very unlikely to score a goal when he's fallen over looking for a foul after a stiff breeze has knocked him over.

I've been to all of Riga's games in charge. The hoofing has all but stopped. But we still can't score.
  • Options
    Church has been injured.
  • Options
    For me, we don't generate enough from midfield - the young lads are too deep and the wide players don't beat their man often enough. Wilson is our best option and he's playing full back - Nego can't be up to it? The forwards don't make runs to stretch defences. Overall, we've become clueless. The training ground might be the problem? Not much has changed since August...why?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Valley11 said:

C_A_F_C said:

The issue wasn't sufficiently addressed in January.

This!
    I would go further and say it was not addressed in the summer transfer window. We never replaced Fuller.
    I would go even further by agreeing with you but noting that it was made even worse by the decision to sell Kermorgant, a decision that looks more arrogant and crass with every passing game
    The mighty Kermogant was offered a contract and left for more money elsewhere. No matter how many interviews he gives that is the truth.
    Roland Duchatelet could have offered him a better contract. This is the truth also.
  • Options

For me, we don't generate enough from midfield - the young lads are too deep and the wide players don't beat their man often enough. Wilson is our best option and he's playing full back - Nego can't be up to it? The forwards don't make runs to stretch defences. Overall, we've become clueless. The training ground might be the problem? Not much has changed since August...why?

Yes, totally agree. We just don't create or play to our strikers' strengths.
  • Options

Church has not been injured enough.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

I wasn't sure how much Kermorgant's sale had affected us, so I did some stats. If it didn't seem like a bad idea then, it certainly does now:

Screen Shot 2014-03-29 at 19.14.58

But even the best line of those stats still has us scoring less than a goal per game, which is never going to be enough. Quite simply we don't score enough goals, with or without Kermorgant.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Stig said:

I wasn't sure how much Kermorgant's sale had affected us, so I did some stats. If it didn't seem like a bad idea then, it certainly does now:

Screen Shot 2014-03-29 at 19.14.58

Games Solly has played in this season:

1-2, 0-1, 2-2, 2-2, 1-1, 3-2, 1-1.

Clearly Solly is the answer to all our goalscoring woes.
  • Options
    Red Pete, I'm not saying it was good with YK, but our scoring rate was almost double what it is without him. It's all if and buts, but an odd goal against Millwall or Wigan would have made that table look a whole lot healthier than it does.

SELR, No doubt Solly has been a major loss. That one game against Brighton where we had Solly and Wilson on the right was markedly different to many of our performances this season.
  • Options
    losing Kermo and Stephens was always gonna weaken us , they were the only players who gamble in the final third rather than crabbing like the rest of em....
    just a fraction of the money that has been spent on Polish Pete could have secured Yann and increased our chances of survival
    If obika gets 3 goals i'll eat my chocolate socks
    If anyone gets 3 between now and the end of the season it'll be a miracle
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Valley11 said:

C_A_F_C said:

This!
    I would go further and say it was not addressed in the summer transfer window. We never replaced Fuller.
    I would go even further by agreeing with you but noting that it was made even worse by the decision to sell Kermorgant, a decision that looks more arrogant and crass with every passing game
    The mighty Kermogant was offered a contract and left for more money elsewhere. No matter how many interviews he gives that is the truth.
    How do you know?
  • Options

losing Kermo and Stephens was always gonna weaken us , they were the only players who gamble in the final third rather than crabbing like the rest of em....
    just a fraction of the money that has been spent on Polish Pete could have secured Yann and increased our chances of survival
    If obika gets 3 goals i'll eat my soiled pants

Game on.

• Options

If obika gets 3 goals i'll eat my soiled pants

Game on.

I expect it to be recorded and posted on here under the thread title of

"I eat shit pants"
  • Options

We don't have players who can beat a man with the ball. Harriot is the best at that but he is unreliable at best

Correct. Apart from Harriott (a very inexperienced and arguably sub-Championship player) we have no ability to create half a yard behind a decent back four.

We also have a distinct lack of presence in the opposition box. One penalty (?) all season tells the story in itself.

I do, however, believe that Reza has talent and will come good...but this may have to be next season. I also believe that Obika is a decent striker but he needs games and that is something that he has never had as yet in his career. He needs to finish with Spurs and join Charlton...no matter what division we are in next season. I'd like to see them as a pair with Piggott & Pete also competing for a place.

PS: I understand that Kermorgant was BY FAR our highest paid player and then he asked for us to match Bournemouth's astronomical wage offer. If that is the case, I can therefore understand RD's reluctance to match AFCB's wage offer for an increasingly injury prone 32 year old (albeit Charlton's best player). And to get a few hundred grand in as well makes it an even more understandable decision.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Because Chris Powell's football is far too negative. Let's sack him and get someone else in, that'll get us scoring.
  • Options
    Will we beat Bury's total of 35 in 1998/9? Were relegated due to goal difference. Had a great goalie though.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I would defy anyone on here to find a time when we've scored as few as 4 goals in the first 13 League games of the calendar year.

This stat is only trumped by the fact that the forwards currently on our books have managed just 2 goals in our last 23 League games.

No money + desperation signings + flash sales = No supply + no finish = Charlton 0

• Options
    PL54 said:

Valley11 said:

C_A_F_C said:

This!
    Wasn't offered a sensible renewal contract and was guided towards the door.

• Options

PL54 said:

Valley11 said:

C_A_F_C said:

This!
    Wasn't offered a sensible renewal contract and was guided towards the door.

What do you think would have constituted a sensible offer?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    thing is, football is such a simple game. You need wingers who can cross & then forwards who can get onto the end of those crosses. Crosses are better coming in from near the byline from a player on the run as the defender is invariably running towards his own goal & can only turn the ball out for a corner or a throw. Crosses coming in from a player standing still somewhere between his half & the goal are easily defended as the defender usually has is back to his goal & can head or kick forwards.

Crossess can also be hit hard & low and not just in the air. Forwards need to be on their toes & ready to gamble- not standing still waiting for a pass.

Forwards should also be able to shoot from anywhere - inside & outside the box - making chances themselves & not just expecting a team mate to give them the perfect pass.

It also helps if the player receiving the ball is moving (forwards helps) and not standing still

PS the Kermogant stats above show that we score more goals per game without him in the side than when he started. So put that in your pipe & smoke it !!! - edit - IGNORE THIS LAST BIT> got it wrong.
  • Options
    Interesting stuff @stig cheers for that
  • Options

PS the Kermogant stats above show that we score more goals per game without him in the side than when he started. So put that in your pipe & smoke it !!!

Is that right ?

I'm reading it differently but you're a financial/mortgage adviser or something like that so your numerical skills may be superior to mine huh ?
    sorry, I'm wrong. I didn't read the stats properly.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Ok I'll take it out of my pipe and you can smoke it aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah