Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why can't we score?

Comments

• Options

PS the Kermogant stats above show that we score more goals per game without him in the side than when he started. So put that in your pipe & smoke it !!!

Is that right ?

I'm reading it differently but you're a financial/mortgage adviser or something like that so your numerical skills may be superior to mine huh ?
  • Options
    We just don't have the quality in the side. They all have heart and can put it together sometimes (last Tuesday is an example) but against the better teams it is men against boys. The lack of scoring is one symptom. Add to that a lack of creativity in midfield (both in the middle and out wide) and that says it all really.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

We don't have players who can beat a man with the ball. Harriot is the best at that but he is unreliable at best

Correct. Apart from Harriott (a very inexperienced and arguably sub-Championship player) we have no ability to create half a yard behind a decent back four.

We also have a distinct lack of presence in the opposition box. One penalty (?) all season tells the story in itself.

I do, however, believe that Reza has talent and will come good...but this may have to be next season. I also believe that Obika is a decent striker but he needs games and that is something that he has never had as yet in his career. He needs to finish with Spurs and join Charlton...no matter what division we are in next season. I'd like to see them as a pair with Piggott & Pete also competing for a place.

PS: I understand that Kermorgant was BY FAR our highest paid player and then he asked for us to match Bournemouth's astronomical wage offer. If that is the case, I can therefore understand RD's reluctance to match AFCB's wage offer for an increasingly injury prone 32 year old (albeit Charlton's best player). And to get a few hundred grand in as well makes it an even more understandable decision.

So why not keep him for the rest of the season and let him walk for free having been an excellent servant to the club.
    The 400k is neither here nor there to multimillion man Roland, and Championship survival will more than cover that figure.

The sale of YK was a huge mistake, the only question is what price US FANS will pay for Rolands error.
  • Options
    Would Yann have been able to play to the best of his ability had we told him to get stuffed over his contract, yet kept him on until the end of the season?

He'd already refused to play in a game because it might trigger a contract extension, and if he knows he's leaving at the end of the year he may be less willing to risk himself a serious injury to keep us up.
  • Options

Valley11 said:

C_A_F_C said:

The issue wasn't sufficiently addressed in January.

This!
    I would go further and say it was not addressed in the summer transfer window. We never replaced Fuller.
    yes this is spot on fuller is a game changer! hence bolton home last season
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

We don't have players who can beat a man with the ball. Harriot is the best at that but he is unreliable at best

Correct. Apart from Harriott (a very inexperienced and arguably sub-Championship player) we have no ability to create half a yard behind a decent back four.

We also have a distinct lack of presence in the opposition box. One penalty (?) all season tells the story in itself.

I do, however, believe that Reza has talent and will come good...but this may have to be next season. I also believe that Obika is a decent striker but he needs games and that is something that he has never had as yet in his career. He needs to finish with Spurs and join Charlton...no matter what division we are in next season. I'd like to see them as a pair with Piggott & Pete also competing for a place.

PS: I understand that Kermorgant was BY FAR our highest paid player and then he asked for us to match Bournemouth's astronomical wage offer. If that is the case, I can therefore understand RD's reluctance to match AFCB's wage offer for an increasingly injury prone 32 year old (albeit Charlton's best player). And to get a few hundred grand in as well makes it an even more understandable decision.

Yann has said that he wouldn't have expected Charlton to match Bournemouth's offer.
  • Options
    I often wonder how frustrating it must be for Gareth Bale putting balls in the box for Wales and seeing spongefoot systematically miss all of them
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

Simonsen said:

Yann has said that he wouldn't have expected Charlton to match Bournemouth's offer.
    We didn't need to though.

• Options
    WRT to Yann, as far as I am concerned, we offered him a deal and he turned it down.

I believe that he wilfully refused to play at Huddersfield to avoid the automatic contract extension. At that moment any respect I had for him was spent.

He played poker with RD and RD took the money Bournemouth offered. I dont believe YK would have ever signed a contract whilst CPs future was in doubt.

We did well to get a fee. For me the Huddersfield carry on was unforgivable and for that reason I couldn't give a shit that he is no longer here.

Didn't clap him against B'mouth and never will. This whole YK has been harshly treated by Charlton story is bollocks.
  • Options
    I take your point Clem but Yanns loyalty is to his family not Charlton surely
    Yes we picked him up but he returned with interest with what we got from him, it's a two way street , if he'd have been shit he'd have been rotting in the reserves with his contract running down and no future signing on for anyone
    If we're gonna burn money I'd rather it had been burnt on Yann than PP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I often wonder how frustrating it must be for Gareth Bale putting balls in the box for Wales and seeing spongefoot systematically miss all of them

That's why he runs the length of the field and scores himself.
  • Options
    Bottom line is Kermogant is better than any of the strikers we currently have.

Give Jackson a two year deal and get rid of your best striker.

Yeah great strategy that eh.
  • Options
    Well all this navel gazing won't help us a jot. From the many games I have seen in order to create chances for the strikers we need Astrit playing as much game time as he is physically able and CH will need game time simply because he has the pace that defenders hate albeit that he is very inconsistent.

As far as strikers are concerned I suppose Obika and Sordell are just about the best of a v poor bunch.
  • Options
    Leeds_Addick Member Said
    March 29
    ''Because we don't have a good playmaker and our strikers are wank''

We had these 2 up until January but RD sold them both!
  • Options
    I don't believe people are still thinking that Dale Stephens was going to save our season. For the bulk of his Charlton career he was very disappointing. I will admit that this season he looked better but make the difference to our goals and survival chances. I don't think so.
  • Options
    Dale was more attack minded than anyone else in the midfield imo
  • Options
    Lets be clear, keeping Stephens means no Poyet. Our midfield is better off now.
  • Options

Dale was more attack minded than anyone else in the midfield imo

Would rather Cousins and Poyet than have Dale back in.

• Options
    We don't score goals because when our striker goes through on goal he stops and check back. That was shocking by obika yesterday
  • Options
    I'd prefer Dale on the right than anyone else we've tried since Solly disappeared and I'd prolly prefer him than Cousins in the middle , at least he has positive intent and I don't think between Cousins and Poyet there's enough attacking threat but understand we'd lose some solidness
    Although Dale was getting stuck in more this season
    But he clearly wanted out and who could blame him going to a bigger and better placed club than our own but I'm sure we could have kept him till the end of the season if we wanted but cost wise to huh man it prolly made sense to unload
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2014
    C_A_F_C said:

Simonsen said:

Fair enough but how high does a club like Charlton go? If it is true that YK was already by far the highest wage earner at the club, we'd be increasing the the gap between him and the others. I see both sides of this...as a fan I'd love to see the best players but the paying of daft wages has got to stop. We can try chasing the billionaire owned clubs like Bournemouth but we'd skint ourselves again in the process. My view is that it's not worth it and I'd rather watch Joe Piggott on a reasonable wage than a better player on a ridiculous wage. The Championship is a dangerous division because clubs can smell the Premier League money...but they often spend Premier League money in order to challenge. If promotion doesn't happen, your club is knackered.

As an aside, I am also led to believe that Bournemouth's manager is on circa £13k a week!!! I wonder how that compared to Chris Powell or Phil Parkinson?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    We don't press high enough to win possession in the opposition's half and when we give the ball away we just stand back and let teams play the ball three quarters of the wat into our half. When we have the ball we don't attack with any tempo or urgency and there's no support or movement from anyone. You can play who you like upfront but it won't make any difference if we carry on like this.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Valley11 said:

C_A_F_C said:

This!
    I would go further and say it was not addressed in the summer transfer window. We never replaced Fuller.
    I would go even further by agreeing with you but noting that it was made even worse by the decision to sell Kermorgant, a decision that looks more arrogant and crass with every passing game
    The mighty Kermogant was offered a contract and left for more money elsewhere. No matter how many interviews he gives that is the truth.
    And he's quite within his rights to do that. He deserved an improved contract and wasn't offered one.
  • Options
    On a positive note. We won't have to change the nets at the end of the season.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

On a positive note. We won't have to change the nets at the end of the season.

And charlton fans wont get rsi from jumping up and celebrating goals..
  • Options
    Answer to quote

'Lets be clear, keeping Stephens means no Poyet. Our midfield is better off now.'

But I think deep down we all know Poyet will only be here until the end of this season at best!
  • Options
    Yep Bournemouth would have been better off spending their dough on a polish Pete like we have bet they're gutted already
  • Options
    edited March 2014

PL54 said:

Valley11 said:

C_A_F_C said:

This!
    I would go even further by agreeing with you but noting that it was made even worse by the decision to sell Kermorgant, a decision that looks more arrogant and crass with every passing game
    The mighty Kermogant was offered a contract and left for more money elsewhere. No matter how many interviews he gives that is the truth.
    And he's quite within his rights to do that. He deserved an improved contract and wasn't offered one.
    Yes, Kermorgant was within his rights to move Clubs given that he was offered a better deal elsewhere. However, if you told Duchatelet that Kermorgant deserved an improved contract, my guess is that he'd respond by saying something along the following lines;

1. A player's contract should reflect what he is expected to deliver in the future not what he's done in the past. He's already been paid for that.

2. The decision about what to offer any player, therefore, involves a judgement about prospective contribution, affordability and value for money. In Kermorgant's case the relevant perspective was the next two and a half years not the last two and a half.

3. Logically, and all other things being equal, a typical 32-year old should expect the terms of his prospective two to three year deal to be worse than the one he negotiated when he was twenty nine, fitter and closer to his peak. He might add that the fact most Clubs don't seem to recognise this is one of the many insanities of Football finances.

4. The expectation, given FFP, is that salaries in the Championship will decline over the next few years, reinforcing point 3 above. An important consequence of this is that "available budget", i.e. the headroom to the FFP limits, ought to fund the acquisition of better players than was previously possible.

5. Kermorgant's contract situation represented a dilemma because, arguably, he had improved since joining the Club (or, more accurately, his perceived value had). However, he was already the best paid player in the Club, by some margin, and the knock on effect of paying him even more needed to be considered carefully.

At the end of the day Duchatelet made a judgement call. As with many judgements there was probably no right answer, but the decision was rational and understandable. Only time will tell how Bournemouth will view the decision they made this time next year. Good luck to them, and the player, but I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually decide they overpaid, if only because they won't be able to spend the money on somebody(s) else.
    But Mundell...everything you say there about the YK judgment call that RD had to make,is reasonable, in isolation. But it cannot be made in isolation. The issue is not so much letting YK go, but how he was replaced.

We actually had a similar situation with Semedo. The difference is crucial, and it is:

1. The decision was made by the manager in conjunction with the chairman.
    2. With the money freed up, the manager was able to recruit and pay both Dale Stephens and Danny Hollands, and the rest is history.

I have no problem with RD having a plan to bring costs under control. There are things I like, such as the emphasis on home grown youngsters. What I cannot accept is that a micro electronics businessman knows more than you or I about which individual players will or will not do a job for us. That is the Vincent Tan school of management, and that way madness lies.
  • Options

Answer to quote

'Lets be clear, keeping Stephens means no Poyet. Our midfield is better off now.'

But I think deep down we all know Poyet will only be here until the end of this season at best!

Neither would Stephens, he wanted to leave and his contract was up at the end of the year.