Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell interview Late Kick Off BBC 1, 11:25

Comments

• Options

Beckboy said:

Need to move on guys

Really, why? You may mean it light-heartedly but i'm interested in why you would think that. He knows and represents the charlton spirit for many of us and some of us prefer to keep that spirit with us rather than move on form it. Did you never see him play? If you saw him play how did you feel when he played for England? What's to move on from?
    now now, don't want to anger the majority of charlton fans.
  • Options
    Thought it quite amusing that when he was talking about losing 4 strikers from last season and not replacing them, having Yann and untried kids, no mention of Spongefoot. Seems even he's ashamed by that signing...............
  • Options
    I expect he's glad to get that first media appearance out of the way. All very dignified and diplomatic, as you'd expect. It's a fairly gentle and homely environment with Jacqui and old Brighty.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Dave, mate, not even as a joke. The mods don't need the aggro.

I changed it out of caution etc

• Options
    Ta, though now I'm wondering WTF a "belgian cigarette" is a euphemism for.
  • Options
    As much as he knows he has to move on and as much as he was putting a brave face on you could tell he was still absolutely hurting from it.
  • Options
    I live in Hainault in deepest darkest London borough of redbridge and I got the program with Ipswich Colchester mk dons etc. not happy.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I live in Hainault in deepest darkest London borough of redbridge and I got the program with Ipswich Colchester mk dons etc. not happy.

I almost got caught like that, had to flick through all the end channels to find the regional ones at last minute.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The gaffer never disappoints & I for one am pleased I had the opportunity to see him tonight, looking as dapper & smiley as ever and on the way back ...sadly not in SE7 ( yet...)

Bless his cotton socks.

I still keep thinking of him as "the gaffer" even though he has been gone 3 weeks. It's a title that suits him well.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link: what a good show (usually get Hereford around here!)
  • Options

The gaffer never disappoints & I for one am pleased I had the opportunity to see him tonight, looking as dapper & smiley as ever and on the way back ...sadly not in SE7 ( yet...)

Bless his cotton socks.

I still keep thinking of him as "the gaffer" even though he has been gone 3 weeks. It's a title that suits him well.
    Paul Ince to take legal action then...............
  • Options
    He was the guvnor
  • Options

He was the guvnora k-nob

;-)
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Channel 954 through your Sky box

• Options
    That was a very classy interview. A true professional and gentleman.
  • Options
    I would not be surprised if there is some termination agreement which restricts what he was able to say
  • Options

Bless his cotton socks.

He'll always be the gaffer to me - the one & only.

• Options
    i think sacking some one via phone call is a disgrace. He seemed to take a moment to think how he was going to word it, I wouldn't be surprised if he got an email through on his phone and had to make the phonecall to confirm himself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He knew on Sunday that if he didn't use the joke keeper, he would be fired.
    He gambled, as he was unlikely to be sacked with a Wembley appearance or a home replay scheduled.

The gamble never came off (sadly).

Still, we may not have Wembley or Powell or Stephens or Yann, but we have Thuram/Reza/Pete and Riga, so I guess "the parting on the left is now the parting on the right".
  • Options
    A class act. Always was and always will be.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
  • Options

He knew on Sunday that if he didn't use the joke keeper, he would be fired.
    He gambled, as he was unlikely to be sacked with a Wembley appearance or a home replay scheduled.

The gamble never came off (sadly).

Still, we may not have Wembley or Powell or Stephens or Yann, but we have Thuram/Reza/Pete and Riga, so I guess "the parting on the left is now the parting on the right".

It's so depressing when you look at it like that.
  • Options
    He looks better on that interview. Less grey and stressed. Im sure it was makeup but still.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    There was a much bigger gamble to play 4-4-2 with Cousins on right wing that some are conveniently ignoring. Sheffield United were on a roll and CAFC were (and still are) getting results with 4-5-1.
    Powell is a class act and I really hope he picks up a decent job over the summer and continues to learn his trade.
    I liked the programme and choose to believe what was said at face value. Why would I spend time speculating against the club I have supported for 40 years? Especially when we are in a relegation fight.
    What I really liked is that his answers tied with the supporters belief of what went wrong and when according to the Trust survey: it was all down to strikers leaving last summer taking goals out of the team...
    Quite simple this game really!
  • Options
    We were rubbish against United, but the game did hinge on us missing an open goal. The big problem is we are more likely to miss an open goal than score one at the moment - and as the whole point of football is scoring more than your opponents, it can be an issue. Losing key strikers at the start of the season and then Kermogant won't have helped.
  • Options
    To be honest, a bit part of me thinks that we have more chance of survival as a result of losing the cup match @ Sheffield. Not sure we would have had the focus to beat Bournemouth and/or Forest so already 4-6 points up on what might have been had we won that match.