Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southeastern train disruption (franchise to be taken over by Govt p191)

Comments

• Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

If you're reasonably healthy why not cycle?
    A 10 mile commute should only take about an hour, or less.

I run to work a couple of times a week. It's just over 10 miles (Bexley to Canary Wharf via Eltham, Kidbrooke, Greenwich Park and the Isle of Dogs). It's actually nice not to have to get on the train. It's harder in the winter months, but think it's much safer than cycling.
    Takes an hour and a half though, not an hour. If I could do it in an hour I'd be much slimmer than I actually am.
    I may pass you as I go from plumstead to Greenwich and the isle of dogs up to hackney!
    If you see a bald bloke looking like he's about to die (I often wear white Charlton Joma shorts) say hi. :smile:
  • Options
    I will - I'm the plump bloke wheezing away and being passed by all and sundry. Often in a Kerry GAA jersey.
  • Options
    I like my bit of cycling, but I don't have to commute. However judging by what I read, and have experienced, enough drivers hate cyclists, and would like to see more cyclists killed and injured in order to clear the roads just for them.
  • Options

iainment said:

iainment said:

If you're reasonably healthy why not cycle?
    A 10 mile commute should only take about an hour, or less.

I run to work a couple of times a week. It's just over 10 miles (Bexley to Canary Wharf via Eltham, Kidbrooke, Greenwich Park and the Isle of Dogs). It's actually nice not to have to get on the train. It's harder in the winter months, but think it's much safer than cycling.
    Takes an hour and a half though, not an hour. If I could do it in an hour I'd be much slimmer than I actually am.
    I may pass you as I go from plumstead to Greenwich and the isle of dogs up to hackney!
    If you see a bald bloke looking like he's about to die (I often wear white Charlton Joma shorts) say hi. :smile:
    I walk to work on occasion from Plumstead to Monument. Takes 2.5 hours. so its an early start... but much nicer than running and I follow the river once you get through the foot tunnel. I love it.
  • Options
    Anyway how are the trains today :wink:
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    seth plum said:

I like my bit of cycling, but I don't have to commute. However judging by what I read, and have experienced, enough drivers hate cyclists, and would like to see more cyclists killed and injured in order to clear the roads just for them.

Oh behave! Rally?

You really think people would wish death on another human being in such a flippant way? Or are you just coming over a bit "Len Glover" on us?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

seth plum said:

Oh behave! Rally?

You really think people would wish death on another human being in such a flippant way? Or are you just coming over a bit "Len Glover" on us?
    Good to see you back Offy even if it is just to have a dig at me

:-)
  • Options
    I will keep my nose open for you.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

seth plum said:

I can't believe that nobody else has reacted to this. It's a truly shocking thing to say.
    You've not been on here much lately, so you're not used to the bizarre postings, of some members.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Back to school, back to work, back to "major signalling problems" delaying trains into London Bridge... what joy. That's after another bank holiday weekend of being unable to take a train to London from the 'burbs. (Continues to rant incoherently at the other 50 people occupying the same square foot of standing room on stationary train....)
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Another stonker of a morning in progress...

Half hour to get from Sidcup to Lee
  • Options

Off_it said:

seth plum said:

I can't believe that nobody else has reacted to this. It's a truly shocking thing to say.
    You've not been on here much lately, so you're not used to the bizarre postings, of some members.
    Seth Plum is an anagram of The Slump

• Options

You're probably on the same train as me. Just coming up to Lewisham now.

An hour from Albany Park to Lewisham...
  • Options
    What are network rail playing at! They've had all bank hol weekend to themselves and now signalling problems. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    Due to a passenger taken ill at Lewisham and a track problem between Lewisham and New Cross
  • Options

Due to a passenger taken ill at Lewisham and a track problem between Lewisham and New Cross

Funny. We were told it was signalling problems between New Cross and London Bridge. Wish they'd get their stories straight!
  • Options
    If I get stuck behind that tractor for the 3rd time in as many month, I'm gonna need to go another way! ffs
  • Options
    My train sat at Hither Green for 12 mins and they said it was a freight train that was let go in front that got stuck on the way up to Lewisham due to signalling issues. Our train then crawled up to Charing Cross over 20 mins late in the end at 7.30. Looks like that was the start of the troubles and got away quite lightly!
  • Options

You're probably on the same train as me. Just coming up to Lewisham now.

An hour from Albany Park to Lewisham...
    Sat at Lee for half hour and when the driver said we could shunt up to the next signal but will probably be there a while I got off, got the bus to Lewisham and now on DLR

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mate on one train in front has been on it 2 1/2hrs
  • Options
    Don't forget delay repay. Can get the money in cash or put onto card now apparently.
  • Options
    when I was at Lewisham at 6:45 this morning it was due to a problem with the track at st johns, we had to wait while the train in front reversed out and then we went straight from Lewisham to ldn bridge anyway
  • Options
    All OK on the Tavira to Faro line this morning. Train went through at 9.38. Should be another one sometime today...still sounds better than SouthEastern!! :wink:
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

Don't forget delay repay. Can get the money in cash or put onto card now apparently.

Not trying to deter anyone from claiming - you should try and take back every penny you can from the thieving scum - but as a season ticket holder you get an absolutely paltry amount back. If you were delayed sufficiently this morning to be entitled to a 100% refund then you'll get the cost of your annual season ticket divided by 365, divided by 2 - might be a bit off with the maths but the principal is right, the equivalent of one one-way fare.

Getting refunded about £4 for losing 2 hours work, missing a job interview, missing a flight, having to stay late at work, or just the general inconvenience of being stuck on their filthy cattle truck for 6 or 7 times longer than you're supposed to be, etc, etc, is quite insulting, particularly when they can't even organise themselves sufficiently to use the same excuse
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

ChiAddick said:

Not trying to deter anyone from claiming - you should try and take back every penny you can from the thieving scum - but as a season ticket holder you get an absolutely paltry amount back. If you were delayed sufficiently this morning to be entitled to a 100% refund then you'll get the cost of your annual season ticket divided by 365, divided by 2 - might be a bit off with the maths but the principal is right, the equivalent of one one-way fare.

Getting refunded about £4 for losing 2 hours work, missing a job interview, missing a flight, having to stay late at work, or just the general inconvenience of being stuck on their filthy cattle truck for 6 or 7 times longer than you're supposed to be, etc, etc, is quite insulting, particularly when they can't even organise themselves sufficiently to use the same excuse
    True but its better than nothing.
  • Options
    I cycled. Am now sat at my desk eating breakfast *smug face*.
  • Options
    And more importantly, if everybody claims then it becomes a substantial burden on them. The only way they will improve is if not doing so effects the bottom line. If everybody claims those £4 quickly add up to the point where they have to sort out their service or risk big hits to their income. If nobody claims because it's "only £4" then nothing will ever change, they can offer any level of service they like and it won't effect their profitability.
  • Options
    I claim for every delayed train I'm on (and a few that I'm not).
  • Options

And more importantly, if everybody claims then it becomes a substantial burden on them. The only way they will improve is if not doing so effects the bottom line. If everybody claims those £4 quickly add up to the point where they have to sort out their service or risk big hits to their income. If nobody claims because it's "only £4" then nothing will ever change, they can offer any level of service they like and it won't effect their profitability.

Yeah I agree. Wasn't suggesting that people shouldn't bother, just making the point that it isn't enough.