Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best British Seaside

Comments

• Options
    PL54 said:

Barmouth - my outlaws live about 5 miles from there. The town and beach are like Birmingham on Sea. Not a lot of niceness about the place and thousands of caravan sites.

Big beach but the storms and floods caused a lot of damage. Always take my little 'un to the beach at Dyfrn (?) when we are up.

I've heard a few people have a bit of a downer on Barmouth but I've never quite seen the problem. You do get a lot a Brummies there, but I've never really had a problem with that - I did grow up surrounded by though them so maybe I'm just a bit immune. The town is certainly no throbbing metropolis and last time I went it hadn't been invaded with gastro-pubs and pretentious bistros like a lot of seaside towns have but I think that's to it's credit in many ways. There is, however, no denying that the amusements are a bit shit, but as I said, it's the setting the town is in that attracts me and if you're happy with stroll in a national park and a bag of chips by the sea front for your tea then Barmouth is as good a place as any imho.

• Options
    I've always liked Sennen Cove in deepest Cornwall. Fantastic beach, The Old Success Inn for a few beverages (and accommodation) and Land's End just down the road.
    Lovely beaches too at Saunton Sands & Croyde just west of Barnstaple.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I've always liked Sennen Cove in deepest Cornwall. Fantastic beach, The Old Success Inn for a few beverages (and accommodation) and Land's End just down the road.
    Lovely beaches too at Saunton Sands & Croyde just west of Barnstaple.

was just gonna mention Sennen Cove, best beach I've ever been to in this country bar none.

closer to home, the kids love Dymchurch and the fairground there.
  • Options
    Wells-next-the-sea on the North Norfolk Coast is a lovely little seaside town. Holkham just up the road has probably the best beach I've been too.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

LoOkOuT said:

Bermuda

Been twice, the most amazing beach / sea

So clear and teeming with life

my mate lived out there for 5 years.
    Loved visiting and hiring a small boat out for a day as all beaches are public access if approached from the sea
  • Options
    last week in St Ives - beautiful walks, lovely restaurants
  • Options

Wells-next-the-sea on the North Norfolk Coast is a lovely little seaside town. Holkham just up the road has probably the best beach I've been too.

I'm heading up that way on Saturday for a week. Beautiful part of this country.
  • Options
    Last couple of years we've been up north in the Summer, Scarborough and Whitby. Kids enjoyed both, have almost everything you want in seaside and good countryside a few miles inland.
  • Options
    Just leaving Bournemouth, what a cack hole!

Parking diabolical, you have to pay to walk on the pier, a couple of over priced rides, beach was ok but not worth the time and hassle getting there.
  • Options
    If you're after beach and nothing else (or a bit of surfing), Joss Bay is nice. Can get busy though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Woolacombe in Devon
    Polzeath in Cornwall.

Both are old favourites and taken there by my parents as a youngster & would alternate between them for summer holidays

Playing golf gets you to see some great views especially if playing links courses or clifftop ones. Never been on them but would recommend the beaches at Porthmadog & Tenby in Wales and Durness in Scotland
  • Options

Lyme Regis on the Jurassic Coast for me

My cousin runs the aquarium down there.

Discount?!
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Last couple of years we've been up north in the Summer, Scarborough and Whitby. Kids enjoyed both, have almost everything you want in seaside and good countryside a few miles inland.

Whitby is brilliant so much history and Dracula :), don't know Scarborough so well but if in that area visit Staithes. Possibly the most painted town in England. You'll be kicking water colour artists out of the way down by the Harbour but worth it.

• Options

Lyme Regis on the Jurassic Coast for me

My cousin runs the aquarium down there.

I hope you cry out

FIISSSHHHHH

Every time you meet
  • Options

Parking diabolical, you have to pay to walk on the pier, a couple of over priced rides, beach was ok but not worth the time and hassle getting there.

A trip back through Boscomb will put that into perspective!
  • Options
    Haven't seen her in years, determined to get down there to see her one day, I love a good aquarium...
  • Options
    Keeping mine a secret.
    Gravesend has a pier,oldest cast iron one in the world.
  • Options
    Canvey Island, obviously.
  • Options
    Lulworth Cove
    Pagham
    Bournemouth
  • Options

True but at least the pier is free!

Tbf most locals don't go near Bournemouth beach and pier - too many grockles about for starters - but the gardens are starting to look their usual lovely self. Didn't fancy the balloon ride then Sadie?

#tryingnottotakepersonally
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Tbf most locals don't go near Bournemouth beach and pier - too many grockles about for starters - but the gardens are starting to look their usual lovely self. Didn't fancy the balloon ride then Sadie?

Dare I ask what a "Grockle" is BA?

• Options

Dare I ask what a "Grockle" is BA?

Yes indeed what's a grockle? Lol

No BA I didn't I stayed for 20 mins and on the way home we went to Southsea again for a stretch of legs, something to eat etc just leaving southsea now I like it even more now.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    MattD said:

Canvey Island, obviously.

Of course:

Labworth small
  • Options
    Grockle-term of derision used by the locals for holidaymakers
  • Options
    Bit like Emmetts for tourists in Cornwall.
  • Options
    Great film 'The System' with a young Ollie Reid and Jane Merrow. The lads used the term to describe the girls holidaying around Torquay that they picked up on the train into the resort. Used to take their photos(like Michael Caine outside The Tower of London in Alfie).
  • Options
    Nothing compares to Clacton on a hot summers day just after the giros clear.
  • Options

We have a 5 foot wide painting of Holkham beach on our lounge wall
  • Options
    Leysdown and camber sands.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Leysdown and camber sands.

Leysdown is like popping up the road for me way too close and full of waifs and strays camber sands is a great place to go for a sandy beach but there's nothing to do there at all very boring.