Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Soup and Other Wonders

Comments

• Options
    Home made lentil with lashings of garlic and cayenne pepper.
  • Options
    Seems to be a theme here regarding people liking a bit of pepper with their soup.
    I have struggled with pepper mills all my life, one I was given at Christmas lasted all of two twists! My usual one gave up the ghost recently, so I have invested in one with a 'lifetime guarantee' (?), called a Peugot for some reason.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Just read this thread whilst eating a 'back of the cupboard' Heinz Minnistrone.

Bland rubbish. A generous 4/10

Its 17 degrees and Sunday Afka. Soup?
    Blew his cash on the national. ;-)
  • Options
    I make my own vegetable soup using whatever veggies I have available.

I do still like Heinz tomato soup - it is something I always had if I was ill and unable to eat anything else.
  • Options

After devouring a bowl of pumpkin soup, it set me to thinking... I only really discovered the wonder of pumpkins at the beginning of last year, on a trip to vietnam. Prior to this i was stuck thinking they were only good for one thing... carving faces out of. Whilst they do excel at having random pictures carved into the side of them, it was eye-opening to discover that they can taste good too. I don't really recall seeing pumpkin soup for sale in the UK, although I may be wrong, you see I feel I have always had a blind spot for other flavoured soups, Heinz Tomato Soup was always the winner for me. Alas i think it has been toppled off it's perch at long last.

So, as I sit here, not procrastinating, in the slightest. It got me wondering what other mouth-watering food I have been missing out on over the years. Have you always considered something to be too poor for your pallet, only to discover it opens up whole new meaning to the word delectable?

We've been in Birmingham this weekend and went out for a curry in the balti triangle last night. I had a vegetable called tinda in my balti, a bit like pumpkin and very very nice. Never even heard of it before
  • Options
    I love soups as well. A few years back I had a brace on my teeth (as an adult) and suffered when chewing! So I really got addicted to soups, especially homemade. Now I make them every week Favourites: leek and potato; tuna and sweetcorn chowder; various minestrones; and broccoli and stilton.
    Experimenting is the best!
  • Options
    Laksa. Can't beat it it. Or maybe a Tom Yum
  • Options
    edited April 2014

I love soups as well. A few years back I had a brace on my teeth (as an adult) and suffered when chewing! So I really got addicted to soups, especially homemade. Now I make them every week Favourites: leek and potato; tuna and sweetcorn chowder; various minestrones; and broccoli and stilton.
    Experimenting is the best!

Broccoli and Stilton! How could I forget that!? Another thing I used to hate as a child-blue cheese. Oh the folly of youth..
  • Options
    Of all the other wonders, Stevie was always my favourite..............
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    a vote each for lobster bisque and mulligatawny

• Options
    creamy chicken for me.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Seems to be a theme here regarding people liking a bit of pepper with their soup.
    I have struggled with pepper mills all my life, one I was given at Christmas lasted all of two twists! My usual one gave up the ghost recently, so I have invested in one with a 'lifetime guarantee' (?), called a Peugot for some reason.

Peugeot (yes, the Peugeot that also make cars) are reputed to make the best grinders in the world. I got a set 12 years ago for my 40th and they are still going as strong as the day I got them.

As good as many of the soups mentioned are, there is nothing better than a Japanese Noodle Ramen soup...

• Options
    Boston clam chowder
    chicken noodle
    beef and barley
  • Options
    Winter is coming...

Oxtail my current go to soup of choice.

just had a disappointing Scotch Broth. 
  • Options
    Winter is coming...

Never heard it called that before !
  • Options
    broccoli and cauliflower - sounds like it ought to ming but it's a belter
    mushroom
    asparagus
    smoked haddock chowder
    oxtail
    baxters beef consommé - pricey but delicious
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Boston clam chowder chicken noodle beef and barley
    Clam Chowder is indeed superb.......but it’s not really a soup is it?
  • Options
    'I like soup but not as much as I like bread. If I have soup, I like to dip bread in it. What I actually like is bread with a sauce'.

unknown comedian
  • Options
    Before I became a vegetarian many years ago there used to be 'clear chicken soup'. I liked it with inordinate amounts of pepper. Does it still exist?
    Wouldn't touch it now, simply curious.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Broccoli and cauliflower, lovely. 
    Mushroom, yes please.

But, can't beat Tomato soup.
  • Options
    Winter is coming...

I don't know why but the phrase "disappointing Scotch Broth" is somehow perfect.
  • Options
    Tomato and Basil gets top marks here. 
  • Options
    Still loving red lentil 6 years later but with ginger and coriander leaf...
  • Options
    French onion soup.
    God knows if the onions are French though.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Before I became a vegetarian many years ago there used to be 'clear chicken soup'. I liked it with inordinate amounts of pepper. Does it still exist?
    Consommé?
  • Options
    Clam chowder
    Ham hock and pea
    Roasted red pepper and tomato
    Minestrone with loads of olive oil
  • Options
    Heinz Oxtail with a crusty roll and Dairylea for dunkage. 

Middle Park estate scum ere  :D
  • Options
    I love all vegetable soups, apart from bortsch, but the big soup question surely is chunky or puréed?
  • Options
    iainment said:
    seth plum said:
    Consommé?
    Don't really know. It came in a tin called soup is the best I can remember.
    However this brings us on to the difference between consommé, soup, and broth.