Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Soup and Other Wonders

13»

Comments

• Options
    Hot and sour.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Hot and sour.
    Always intrigued me. What does this taste like / similar to? (Other than hot & sour)
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Hot and sour.
    Always intrigued me. What does this taste like / similar to? (Other than hot & sour)
    Like sweet & sour, except it's hot and not sweet.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    PopIcon said:
    Hot and sour.
    It's essentially a soup you get from Chinese restaurants.  Mind the chillis. I always have it. Lovely, but creamy Mushroom and French onion are good.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Hot and sour.
    It's quite bizarre. I can't tolerate it. And I eat most things. It's as close to a Willy Wonka experience as you can get. 
  • Options
    The chicken and sweetcorn soups from Chinese restaurants are usually lovely.

I assume it's the egg and the MSG that make it.
  • Options
    Baxter’s Spicy Parsnip
  • Options
    Am I the only one to think some Baxters are over rated?
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Hot and sour.
    It varies so much from place to place.
    Its basically a clear(ish) thick soup with a tombola of chicken, pork, mushroom, peas, tiny shrimp, water chestnuts, beanspouts, tofu, egg etc.
    It is rice vinegar sour rather than citric acid sour.

I liked it because it used to be the cheapest thing (under £2) on the menu. I think it was a cheap way of getting rid off all the scraps that were left.
  • Options
    I love pumpkin soup, it's delicious. I've also made pumpkin cake, serve like carrot cake with lots of cream cheese frosting and it's very good. Perfect for Halloween. I can't believe people just carve out a pumpkin and throw away the best bit! 

Back to soup, chicken & mushroom is my favourite. I have "cuppa soups" with my lunch in the winter and really like the Ainsley Harriott Thai chicken & lemongrass. 

Always have to put black pepper in my soup whatever flavour though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heinz Oxtail with a crusty roll and Dairylea for dunkage. 

Middle Park estate scum ere  :D
    What a great shout, putting dairylea on the roll! Will be trying that soon.

Have given up shit meat, so the oxtail soup may be a bit far.

Used to love the covent garden chicken soup with liberal use of hot sauce, so it was pinkish in colour...thinking about it, it's probably warm hot sauce I like.
  • Options
    mulligatawny 
    close the thread 
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    I love pumpkin soup, it's delicious. I've also made pumpkin cake, serve like carrot cake with lots of cream cheese frosting and it's very good. Perfect for Halloween. I can't believe people just carve out a pumpkin and throw away the best bit! 

Back to soup, chicken & mushroom is my favourite. I have "cuppa soups" with my lunch in the winter and really like the Ainsley Harriott Thai chicken & lemongrass. 

Always have to put black pepper in my soup whatever flavour though.
    Proper ballache to sepate the seeds and flesh with pumpkins though.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    New Covent Garden Smoked Haddock one is decent, never had it much as it's not really on to have fishy smelling stuff in the office, but while we're all WFH might have to get some.

Butternut squash based soups are usually pretty nice too.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Hot and sour.
    Chilli (dried) and vinegar are the strongest flavours. Usually has mushrooms (shiitake), bamboo shoots, egg (dropped in when hot and stirred so it forms ribbons). Aside from that, it depends whether it's veggie (tofu, veg stock) or meaty (pork/chicken and chicken stock). I used to love it but it always seemed to give my hiccups....
  • Options
    Lobster
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Before I became a vegetarian many years ago there used to be 'clear chicken soup'. I liked it with inordinate amounts of pepper. Does it still exist?
    Wouldn't touch it now, simply curious.
    yeah right...
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Boston clam chowder chicken noodle beef and barley
    Clam Chowder is indeed superb.......but it’s not really a soup is it?
    Chowder is simply a thicker soup, using cream rather than broth..