Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Game of Thrones - Those who have read the books up to date

Comments

• Options

cfgs said:

JWADDICK said:

Given Catelyn's end and the few mentions in the books following the Red Wedding I can't help but feel any future appearances will be heavily disguised or CGI'd.

What the producers are actually brilliant at doing is suggesting the action in the books while not actually showing it in great detail where it is not intrinsic to the narrative and embellishing those small details that actually carry more weight than the book might suggest. I'm thinking of the whole white walker scene with the baby especially which seemed a radical departure from the text but I think will be very important in the forthcoming seasons.

I personally can't wait to see how they deal with Arya's story when she gets to Braavos. How good was she when she started to giggle at the Black Gate? I may be a little in love with Maisie Williams - but just in a fatherly sort of way you understand.

Valar Morgulhis!

She has eyebrows like bears willies.

I'm sure she'd be very pleased to hear that.
    Lovely bubbly girl and probably very great to know but if she was American (which she is lucky not to be) she would have been plucked to the max.

• Options
    She has eyebrows like bears willies.

Don't care, as I was at pains to point out it's not a physical "would ya" sort of thing!! Indeed at my age, if it were, I would have to start wearing shell suits and a shit load of gold if I felt that way about her.

• Options
    So it is clear the books and the TV series are starting to go in separate ways, albeit not drastically. From memory, these are the differences.

Tyrion hasn't yet met Danerys in the book and was actually on a ship with the people that were charged with looking after Danerys' nephew, the other Targareyn to have a claim. And if I am correct a stronger claim as he is the son of her older brother. How the show will incorporate this storyline in now I am keen to know. Also, I'm pretty sure that Jorah Mormont never got grey scale. It was the old griff guy who was looking after Danerys' nephew.

Did Barristan Selmy get killed in the book? I can't remember. I seem to recall Danerys fending off a revolt from her people after the slave pit arguments. I'm pretty sure in the book she gets detached from her people and his left with her dragons after they kill innocents or something???

Where are the Greyjoys? Integral to the book, sailing south to wage war on Kings Landing and onto meet Danerys (one of them thinks he'll marry her - can't remember which one). They must be getting introduced as new characters or more integral to the TV show in the next series.

I don't remember Sansa getting married to Ramsey Bolton in the book. In fact, as far as I was aware she's being tracked by Brienne on account of her oath to Catelyn. This is very different. Also, I don't remember Jaime going to Dorne with Bron to rescue Mycella. I remember Jaime leaving Kings Landing to find Brienne and help her. This is also interesting because I swear Catelyn (who is now part of Berric Dondarion's lord of light crew), has sworn revenge on Jaime, the Freys, Brienne for not upholding her oath.

Also, didn't the hound get brought into Berric Dondarion's circle as well?

Bran's storyline is about on point although covering it more in last season's TV show. Same with the Bolton's occupation of Winterfell minus Sansa. I'm sure as Stannis lays siege theon is trying to escape, but I seem to remember a girl helping him, is it one of those daughters of Dorne?

About the only thing I can say that is pretty accurate is Arya in Bravosi.

• Options
    So it is clear the books and the TV series are starting to go in separate ways, albeit not drastically. From memory, these are the differences.

Tyrion hasn't yet met Danerys in the book and was actually on a ship with the people that were charged with looking after Danerys' nephew, the other Targareyn to have a claim. And if I am correct a stronger claim as he is the son of her older brother. How the show will incorporate this storyline in now I am keen to know. Also, I'm pretty sure that Jorah Mormont never got grey scale. It was the old griff guy who was looking after Danerys' nephew.

Did Barristan Selmy get killed in the book? I can't remember. I seem to recall Danerys fending off a revolt from her people after the slave pit arguments. I'm pretty sure in the book she gets detached from her people and his left with her dragons after they kill innocents or something???

Where are the Greyjoys? Integral to the book, sailing south to wage war on Kings Landing and onto meet Danerys (one of them thinks he'll marry her - can't remember which one). They must be getting introduced as new characters or more integral to the TV show in the next series.

I don't remember Sansa getting married to Ramsey Bolton in the book. In fact, as far as I was aware she's being tracked by Brienne on account of her oath to Catelyn. This is very different. Also, I don't remember Jaime going to Dorne with Bron to rescue Mycella. I remember Jaime leaving Kings Landing to find Brienne and help her. This is also interesting because I swear Catelyn (who is now part of Berric Dondarion's lord of light crew), has sworn revenge on Jaime, the Freys, Brienne for not upholding her oath.

Also, didn't the hound get brought into Berric Dondarion's circle as well?

Bran's storyline is about on point although covering it more in last season's TV show. Same with the Bolton's occupation of Winterfell minus Sansa. I'm sure as Stannis lays siege theon is trying to escape, but I seem to remember a girl helping him, is it one of those daughters of Dorne?

About the only thing I can say that is pretty accurate is Arya in Bravosi.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    cabbles said:

Catelyn Lady Stoneheart

Where has the Lord of Light crew gone? I'm not sure how they are going to bring them back in the TV Show?

Still waiting for Ser Robert Strong to appear too.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

cabbles said:

Catelyn Lady Stoneheart

Where has the Lord of Light crew gone? I'm not sure how they are going to bring them back in the TV Show?

Which one was Ser Robert Strong again?

My thoughts on the new characters and evolving storylines for the books are.

Samwell Tarly's dad to be involved. Brienne's family to be involved - both these families to be involved in Westeros

Who knows with everything else. Not sure how the TV series will deal with Jon Snow getting attacked by the knights watch and his supposed death. We just don't know

I knw rr Martin had written a chapter as theon in the new book. It will be some characters in this book and others in the 7th I think. Like books 4 and 5
  • Options
    Ser Robert strong was previously The mountain
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Dazzler21 said:

cabbles said:

Catelyn Lady Stoneheart

Samwell Tarly's dad to be involved. Brienne's family to be involved - both these families to be involved in Westeros

Who knows with everything else. Not sure how the TV series will deal with Jon Snow getting attacked by the knights watch and his supposed death. We just don't know

I knw rr Martin had written a chapter as theon in the new book. It will be some characters in this book and others in the 7th I think. Like books 4 and 5
    My feeling is that the little kid at the Wall (olly?) will be the one to stab Jon leaving the end of this series on a cliffhanger.

He'll be alive though I'm sure, question is how.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Aye. I'm sure he was dying in the books or dead after the fight with Oberyn.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Dazzler21 said:

cabbles said:

Catelyn Lady Stoneheart

My feeling is that the little kid at the Wall (olly?) will be the one to stab Jon leaving the end of this series on a cliffhanger.

good shout
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lord of Light crew?
  • Options
    Ser Robert is the mountain
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Lord of Light crew?

Catelyn is about to kill Jaime, Brienne and possibly the hound and make them part of it I think?

Re: the tv show, I don't think they'll ever revisit Catelyn as she (the actress) isn't contracted to appear anymore. The Lord of Light is now only represented by Melissandre
  • Options

cabbles said:

Dazzler21 said:

cabbles said:

Catelyn Lady Stoneheart

They've about as subtle as a brick to the head with the highlighting of Olly's motivation to stab Jon, one of the people who I watch the show with has already called it. Shame.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Dazzler21 said:

Aye. I'm sure he was dying in the books or dead after the fight with Oberyn.
    Pretty sure he's going to be used in some trial by combat shenanigans as Robert Strong
  • Options
    Lady stoneheart spares brienne and podrick payne because brienne pledges her sword to her
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Dazzler21 said:

Lord of Light crew?

Catelyn is about to kill Jaime, Brienne and possibly the hound and make them part of it I think?

Re: the tv show, I don't think they'll ever revisit Catelyn as she (the actress) isn't contracted to appear anymore. The Lord of Light is now only represented by Melissandre
    The asian lady from the episode where Jorah snatched Tyrion was a Lord of light follower backing Danaerys.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

cabbles said:

Dazzler21 said:

Lord of Light crew?

The asian lady from the episode where Jorah snatched Tyrion was a Lord of light follower backing Danaerys.
    But that melissandre is backing stannis, strange.
  • Options
    That's because Melissandre is essentially an idiot.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Dazzler21 said:

cabbles said:

Dazzler21 said:

Lord of Light crew?

Yeah i thought that, but as NLN says, Melissandre is deluded and a bit of an idiot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

cabbles said:

Dazzler21 said:

cabbles said:

Dazzler21 said:

Lord of Light crew?

Yeah i thought that, but as NLN says, Melissandre is deluded and a bit of an idiot.
    true.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Benioff and Weiss are probably going to kill the show... I have seen reports though that even though 1 actor/actress says he/she has been written out, he/she has renewed her/his contract for season 6 & 7 which is very strange...

At least we now have a reason to return to the books afterall.
  • Options
    I'm desperately hoping Kit Harrington is lying about not coming back so it's more of a shock.
  • Options

I'm desperately hoping Kit Harrington is lying about not coming back so it's more of a shock.

Watched last night and thought bollocks when he was stabbed, however who rode through the gate earlier that day?.........
  • Options
    Anyone else think GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Martin is losing the storyline he started a bit?

Apparently way back at the beginning it was all 1 book (insane), then 3 and now 7 is it?

I feel he has lost a lot of what he started with and has got mixed up in the media hype.
  • Options
    Its all got far too unwieldy but I guess he doesnt have to bow down to fan pressure. If he did the tool wouldnt have killed off half of the Starks and be waffling on about the bloody Greyjoys!
  • Options
    I think he bought into all the hype about how he killed off important characters. As a result it sort of went from 'even the main characters die' to 'everyone good will die'. I remember when Breaking Bad finished he made some comment about how Walter White was the most evil character ever created in fiction, but he would change that. Seems far too focused on making irredeemably evil characters who win the day rather than fleshing out a proper story which is why it's all meandering about the place at the moment. Here's hoping he tightens it all up in the next two books
  • Options
    You sick bastards! This thread is full of spoilers! I HATE YOU ALL....Sorry...wrong thread.

In terms of the killing of characters, the idea that there is no justice in the story is a misnomer; I think it's the long game. The pay offs will be extra sweet because they took years to come around. They won't all occur, but enough of them will. We've got a fair way to go yet, if Martin paid off all the vengeance we crave now, there's be no place left to go.

There's then a requirement for certain characters to 'burn time' in advance of the big finish. To my mind, Dany is going to be the best shot at fighting the zombies (with Bran involved somehow). So they have to be there at the end. I don't know what they're doing with Bran in the show (maybe the book stuff is too crazy, maybe not) but he'll still be there.

Jon Snow is at the heart of the biggest mystery, so he has to be there at the end. But the difference is, the Dany arc is blatant, and while I am nowhere near as bored as some others are, it's clear what they're up to with her in book and show.

But with Snow, Martin's thrown a curveball. I think it's a case of a writer painting himself into a corner knowing that the character has to eventually find a way out of it, but hey that's fine, because the pay-off is two seasons/ books away. Finding a way to get out of that hole (and he's set up plenty of options) will burn enough time to lead him into a new, show/ book-ending arc.
  • Options
    FFS can't believe i came into this thread and there were things in the books not in the tv show. Shame on all of you for posting about the book in the book thread. At least wait until i've read the books ffs.
  • Options
    It might be more appropriate to put it on here, just in case the tv series does bring in some of the book.

So if Jon Snow is the child of Ned's sister and Rhaegar, then she has two (nephews), as the Old Griff character is protecting someone with said claim to being Rhaegar's other son