Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan McCormack

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2014

Oh Paulie, you do take things to heart. He didnt play well, and the fans targeted him for it. Lets be frank, it isnt exactly going to be a career highlight is it. Do you think Simon Church is 'loving his time at Charlton at present?'. Probably not.
  • Options

Oh Paulie, you do take things to heart. He didnt play well, and the fans targeted him for it. Lets be frank, it isnt exactly going to be a career highlight is it. Do you think Simon Church is 'loving his time at Charlton at present?'. Probably not.

But no one said to him, so how did your time at Charlton go, I have seen people in the past say they just want to move on and that's fine, my point was he has made a point in saying he did not like it here did not wanna be here and wants to forget about it
  • Options
    He made a couple of good passes but he's still absolute shit. He struggled with cousins and he was playing out of position!
  • Options
    Thought considering the abuse he got towards the end of the game when giving away a corner he didnt make any point of celebrating their equaliser in front of us (correct me if im wrong). Dont really understand the animosity against him...was a bit part player who didnt do very well and has since moved on, time we did as well
  • Options
    He had a poor game against us ...... wish him well ..and Brentford ..but reckon him and the bees will struggle big time
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    The abuse he got when playing for us was pathetic , he did not deserve that.

That being said, i dislike him as a player(nothing to do with playing for us), as he tries so much to look the "hard man" type yet spent all game diving every time Cousins got anywhere near him.
  • Options
    There is nothing in that little excerpt that would get my back up.

Seems like he is just saying it was a bad move for him, he didn't play well and he got abuse from his own supporters. Why would he remember that with any fondness?
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

After reading that I wished I had given him more stick then I did on Saturday, what a complete and utter tool
    What has he said in that article that makes him a tool? Dont get me wrong, I dont exactly rank him up there with Kinsella, but getting personal abuse on twitter isn't on. I think some people got far too wound up by one bloody meal at the Oxo tower.

He has admitted he didnt play all that well in the article, and then said he didnt appreciate the hostility he got from fans on the internet.

Fair enough really.
    Comments like:

“I try to forget my time at Charlton as quickly as I can, to be honest. It wasn’t a great year and I didn’t play particularly well. It was a bit hostile.

“It was a season when me and football never got on very well and I wasn’t enjoying any part of it"

He was playing crap and got some stick because of it, but don't say you try to forget playing for MY CLUB and don't say you was not ENJOYING playing for them, maybe if he put a bit more effort in he would of enjoyed it, I am a proud Charlton fan and comments like that I don't like
    So what he should actually be saying is that he had a great time at Charlton, it was the highlight of his career?! Personally I don't agree with giving your own players stick because it's counterproductive, i.e. it makes them play even worse, but I recognise that some people feel that the pay to watch Charlton and that gives them the right to voice their opinion if they don't think someone's good enough. However, the abuse he was getting goes way beyond "stick", and is symptomatic of the growing trend, not just in football but in relation to other stuff as well, where silly little boys think it's acceptable to make absolutely vile comments, issuing death threats and so on over the internet that they wouldn't dream of doing in person.

Was McCormack a poor player for us? Yes. Was he lazy and not putting any effort in? No. Is it his fault that he was the best we could afford at that time? No.

The abuse the likes of him and Francis got, for putting the effort in but not being very good, was far worse than anything that rubbish like Amdy Faye and Hasselbaink got, and they were getting paid about 10 times as much as McCormack.
    Very good assessment.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm gald he's not playing for us any more.

He looked decent going forward on Saturday but terrible defensively.

Still, I felt no need to abuse him. He played badly for us but I never got the impression that he wasn't trying.
  • Options
    How dare he not look back on his poor performances in a shit season with pride and praise for Charlton after the twitter weirdos gave him and his wife abuse. How dare he try and motivate his current team before playing us. Wibble.
  • Options
    Spot on, MrLargo
  • Options
    The issue McCormack had was he was getting personal abuse on Twitter away from the game that was upsetting his family. Why would he look back with fondness after that? I'm not one for booing the players but I so understand that in a match you can get frustrated and shout at a player. No-one should be strung up for that, but sending abuse over the internet away from the pitch permeates into the bloke's personal life and that's not on. It's a shame all round really; we all wanted him to be good and I'm sure he wanted to play well for us. He wasn't a shirker, he just wasn't very good in the first place and his confidence took a hit that made him even worse on the pitch.
  • Options

After reading that I wished I had given him more stick then I did on Saturday, what a complete and utter tool
    What has he said in that article that makes him a tool? Dont get me wrong, I dont exactly rank him up there with Kinsella, but getting personal abuse on twitter isn't on. I think some people got far too wound up by one bloody meal at the Oxo tower.

He has admitted he didnt play all that well in the article, and then said he didnt appreciate the hostility he got from fans on the internet.

Fair enough really.
    Comments like:

“I try to forget my time at Charlton as quickly as I can, to be honest. It wasn’t a great year and I didn’t play particularly well. It was a bit hostile.

“It was a season when me and football never got on very well and I wasn’t enjoying any part of it"

He was playing crap and got some stick because of it, but don't say you try to forget playing for MY CLUB and don't say you was not ENJOYING playing for them, maybe if he put a bit more effort in he would of enjoyed it, I am a proud Charlton fan and comments like that I don't like
    Paulie that makes you sound a wally. Of course he hated that year, the fans gave him absolute dog shit abuse the whole time he was there, he got booed, abused on Twitter, and was useless on the pitch. It's a year we'd all like to forget too probably!!

He was toilet for us and he knows it, he wasn't very good on Saturday either BUT his range of passing was decent at times. Made 2 very good cross field balls that stood out.
  • Options

Fair enough really.
    Comments like:

Paulie that makes you sound a wally. Of course he hated that year, the fans gave him absolute dog shit abuse the whole time he was there, he got booed, abused on Twitter, and was useless on the pitch. It's a year we'd all like to forget too probably!!

He was toilet for us and he knows it, he wasn't very good on Saturday either BUT his range of passing was decent at times. Made 2 very good cross field balls that stood out.
    everyone has got me wrong I am not saying he should of been enjoying everything about the club, and the abuse he got on twitter was wrong, the point I was making was he said I was not enjoying any part of it, and I am saying if he was not enjoying it you can see why his performances were so bad, he should of enjoyed his time on the pitch, playing for the team, and on the training ground when he was away from fans abuse.
  • Options
    Wrong time. Wrong club. Not as bad as made out. Best to just wish him the best and move on.
  • Options
    McOxo was in the Charlton team v Daggers at their place, this was the worst Charlton team I have ever seen and like a lot of the old farts on here I've seen some stinkers. BUT no one should be subjected to the twitter abuse he received, I wonder how many would have said it to his face one to one.
    That said any Oxo Tower joke is funny!
  • Options

Fair enough really.
    Comments like:

You look a bit silly here Paulie. If he'd come out and mugged us off as a club, or given the fans some abuse for giving him some stick, then fair enough - but in reality, all he's done is give an interview to a local rag, saying that he didn't have a great time at Charlton and that he'd like to move on. Fail to see the issue.
  • Options
    There are two things about him that I disliked.

I, actually, though he played as well for us as most of his team mates at the time did. He made a mistake of 'boasting' about expensive wine and suggesting that the more of it he drank the less he cared about the defeat we'd had that afternoon.

On reflection it was nothing more than the naivety of a, probably, under educated and not very intelligent bloke. There is no crime against being thick and not doing well at school (although I, sometimes, wonder if there should be) but the 'bragging' about the wine was always going to make some fans react badly - something else I don't approve of. having said that I am tempted to suggest that the worst 'crime' he committed that night was to be posting on twitter in a restaurant when he was supposed to be celebrating his wedding anniversary with his wife. What a great, romantic, bloke, not!

I think the response from fans was the catalyst for his performances dropping - and heaven knows we are great at pointing the finger at a scapegoat. I am not, in the least, surprised that he doesn't like Charlton fans.

The other think about him that I disliked (and, as I say, his stupidity in a restaurant is not that big a deal) was that he made a real fuss to demand that Southend release him, when he refused to play for them again. This made getting a transfer fee for him very difficult, which resulted in him agreeing better terms with us. Twelve months later and he refused to leave without us paying his contract up - clearly no one else was going to pay him what we'd agreed to a year earlier.

I know players are allowed to maximise their income but the way he did what he did was, in my view, unacceptable.

Those two points aside, I am so past worrying about him I couldn't care less what he does with the rest of his career. He, clearly, has some talent, but I'd be surprised if he ever signs for a bigger club than us. He was with us at a time that we want to forger and he wants to forget it too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Fair enough really.
    Comments like:

everyone has got me wrong I am not saying he should of been enjoying everything about the club, and the abuse he got on twitter was wrong, the point I was making was he said I was not enjoying any part of it, and I am saying if he was not enjoying it you can see why his performances were so bad, he should of enjoyed his time on the pitch, playing for the team, and on the training ground when he was away from fans abuse.
    Deeper and deeper....
  • Options
    Paulie, you get the hump, when about 20 people on here wind you up.
    Yet you say McCormack "should have enjoyed his time on the pitch, playing for the team".
    He was playing in front of 15,000 people, loads of whom were abusing him.
    Double standards there mate, I'm afraid.
    You're wrong, move on :-)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Football fans are very fickle.

McCormack is a better player than Andy Hughes, who is extremely limited. However, Hughes was seen as bit of a fan favorite even though he played about 20 games over 3 years

Its all about perception. Hughes was liked by players who the fans liked, and he interacted well with supporters. McCormarck on the other hand didn't do a lot wrong, but was associated with the club's worst finish (13th in League One) in most CAFC supporters' lifetimes.

Charlton was too big a club for McCormack, and he came along at the wrong time unfortunately for him (and his missus, by sounds of it)
  • Options
    Thought he still looked pretty dire on Saturday. If that's him being driven on up against a defensive midfielder being played out of decision he's going to struggle big time this season.

He was dreadful for us, and his comments re going to the Oxo Tower were probably poorly judged but I'm over it - doesn't sound like he is though !
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Having been asked a direct question by the journo he could have said "No comment". That in itself would have been seen as him being a WUM, being snide etc. Anything short of an abject apology to Charlton fans would be unacceptable to many here. That would be a great thing for a Brentford player to do before a match wouldn't it. Or maybe he should just avoid the press forever by way of making amends for having a poor season for us and taking his wife up the Oxo. Many of us would like to take our wives and girlfriends up the Oxo tower, but aren't given the opportunity. Move on.
  • Options

Fair enough really.
    Comments like:

That's the problem with the modern game though; you're never away from the fans' abuse if they really want to get at you. Twitter, Facebook, forums, they're all places for the unpleasant minority to get at you. He shut down his Twitter (which is sad enough as it is; imagine being forced off because of the abuse you're getting) but there's really no way to avoid it.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Football fans are very fickle.

McCormack is a better player than Andy Hughes)

Wrong thread I think. Try jokes :-)
  • Options
    I wonder what Simon Church will have to say about us when we finally get shot of him?

• Options
    He'll say "you'll have to speak up young man, I'm 94 you know!"
  • Options

I wonder what Simon Church will have to say about us when we finally get shot of him?

Where are him and the missus going for dinner on their anniversary this year ?