Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Seafood restaurant in whitstable

Visiting Whitstable next weekend for 20th anniversary. Wife's been told of a really good seafood restaurant on the seafront
Any one any idea what it may be called ( she thinks it's on the front, may not be)
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    Think it might be this one. Not been there, but have it pencilled in for a visit this summer, be interested to know if anyone on here's been there.

http://www.crabandwinklerestaurant.co.uk/site/index.html
  • Options
    http://whitstableoystercompany.com/

This is the famous one. very good when I went years ago
  • Options

Happy to confirm it still is. I try to get there whenever I can, although for me as an expat there is a special romance attached to it.

• Options
    Wheelers Oyster Bar,

8 High Street,
    Whitstable,
    Kent.
    CT5 1BQ

possibly
  • Options
    I would say Wheelers is the best one. A very quaint place but the food is excellent and you can bring your own drinks (they dont have a licence to sell alcohol). Holly Willoughby has been there numerous times, so its worth going there just in case she is making a visit! Fridays and Saturdays can be booked up months in advance.

The others are all very good though, you shouldnt be disappointed wherever you go.
  • Options
    I like the Pearsons Arms as well,and it is a lot cheaper than the Whitstable Oyster Co
  • Options
    Thanks guys for your prompt replies. Problem now is I have to choose!
  • Options
    The Sportsman at Seasalter just outside Whitstable is excellent.
  • Options

The Sportsman at Seasalter just outside Whitstable is excellent.

Yes, I can recommend The Sportsman very highly. It is absolutely different class & one of the best restaurants in the country. If anybody gets the chance, just go. You won't regret it.
  • Options
    I've found the Whitstable restaurants to be over-priced. I think they've become too popular for their own good and don't have to try very hard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wheeler's is still the finest for seafood but very tough to get into (tiny) and not great for romantic ambiance.

Jojo's in Tankerton is just 1 mile outside the centre of Whitstable and is very good (and the cheapest) for seafood/tapas/fusion food with great location on the slopes overlooking the sea. Need to book ahead and they only take bookings two weeks in advance.

Take your own wine but Tesco's products are banned for obvious reasons.

Sportsman is Michelin starred, expensive and exclusive to the DFLs these days.

If that fails Samphire, Lobster Shack or Hotel Continental.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Second the recommendation for JoJo's - Lovely people, great location - prices as good as you're probably going to get in this part of the world.

As a personal gripe - I would urge anyone and everyone to avoid the 'Fish Market' restaurant in the Harbour area.
    Appalling and arrogant attitude that sums up everything bad about Whitstable.
  • Options
    MOBY DUCK said:

Second the recommendation for JoJo's - Lovely people, great location - prices as good as you're probably going to get in this part of the world.

As a personal gripe - I would urge anyone and everyone to avoid the 'Fish Market' restaurant in the Harbour area.
    Appalling and arrogant attitude that sums everything bad about Whitstable.

Got to agree with JoJo's, went a few weeks ago, it's more of a tapas restaurant that does good seafood, very good too. You can bring your own booze and pay a small corkage if you want as well. Not always easy getting a booking though.

• Options
    The Pearson Arms is also very good went there on Friday party of 12 and all the food was excellent
  • Options
    I was in Whitstable this weekend and whilst not having been to a restaurant, chatting to my old man at lunch today and he randomly recommended The Sportsman in Seasalter as well.

Whitstable is a great place to visit and it has some cracking pubs too.

You'll not go wrong with any of the suggestions above, the one your wife had heard of was probably the whitstableoystercompany as it's the most famous. It's right on the seafront.

If it's a nice day as it was on Saturday, have a stroll along the front and a pint of Whitstable Bay lager on the beach at the Old Neptune. Nice hoppy taste to it, lovely drop.
  • Options
    Get her a bag of cockles on the seafront.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Think it might be this one. Not been there, but have it pencilled in for a visit this summer, be interested to know if anyone on here's been there.

http://www.crabandwinklerestaurant.co.uk/site/index.html

It is indeed The Crab and Winkle. Someone I know who lives down there has just confirmed this is the place he and his wife prefer to any other.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Wheeler's is still the finest for seafood but very tough to get into (tiny) and not great for romantic ambiance.

Jojo's in Tankerton is just 1 mile outside the centre of Whitstable and is very good (and the cheapest) for seafood/tapas/fusion food with great location on the slopes overlooking the sea. Need to book ahead and they only take bookings two weeks in advance.

Grumpy, probably a 'whoosh' moment but what are the 'obvious reasons' and 'DFL's'?
  • Options

JoJos - my in laws live in Westcliffe, so we've been to a lot of restaurants in the area, and Jojos is the best restaurant in the whole area, you can't go wrong. Blinding.
    Bring your own booze, (no Tescos) they cool it for you and don't charge you corkage either.
  • Options
    Pearsons is good, however i recommend Birdies (on the highstreet). went there last week for a work meal and the food was excellent
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DFL's = Down From Londons
  • Options
    I too am a curious about the Tesco reference
  • Options

I too am a curious about the Tesco reference

Whitstable has a very strong "shop local" ethic and is one of the few towns left in England with locally owned and independent butchers, bakers, greengrocers etc at the heart of the community and the locals protect this asset fiercely. They regard Tesco as the devil incarnate set on destroying their local community and replacing it with the same sad litter strewn high-streets containing nothing more than yobs,empty charity shops and estate agents that you see elsewhere in the country.

• Options
    So are we talking any wine that was bought in Tescos or Tesco Finest/own branded wines?
    Are they okay with Sainsburys and or Asda??

• Options
    Re Tescos - Also its my understanding that the owner of Jojo's is an ecologist and allegedly Tesco's are not exactly friends of the earth. He won't have any Tesco's brands in his restaurant, the other supermarkets appear to be OK.
    It really is a great experience eating there. And obviously cheeper because you bring your own booze.
  • Options
    From there site, they now charge corkage. Oh yes and cash only!!

In the evenings you may still BYO (bring-your-own) wine, prosecco or champagne (only) to JoJo’s if you wish. Corkage is £3.00 a bottle for still wine, if your bottle has some fizz then it’s £5.00 per bottle. Please don’t use Tesco as we will charge you £6.00 corkage – thank you. Our corkage charge covers the cost of providing glasses, washing up and recycling your empties. Our BYO policy does not include soft drinks, beer /lager / cider, champagne or bottles of spirits so please do not bring these into the restaurant – thank you.

Link
    http://www.jojosrestaurant.co.uk
  • Options
    I'm all in favour of the anti-Tesco stuff. Just looked on their store locator - I have 14 Tesco stores within 2.26 miles of my house in Lewisham. Good on them for fighting back.
  • Options

It was good but it doesn't have the reputation it used to have. It had an awful write up in The Telegraph a few years ago. However, it still seems to be popular with tourists and visitors.

• Options
    1se7 said:

Wheelers Oyster Bar,

8 High Street,
    Whitstable,
    Kent.
    CT5 1BQ

possibly

Not possibly but certainly Wheelers. You will be pushed to get a table there for next weekend though. You normally need to give them about two weeks notice to book.
  • Options
    Samphire is very good. I can also receommend Salt Marsh which is out the back of The Duke of Cumberland hotel. Jo Jos in Tankerton is very good but also not been mentioned is The East Coast Dining Room in Tankerton High Street which is excellent. It's also near to a nice little micro pub just a short walk away.