Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Seafood restaurant in whitstable

2»

Comments

• Options
    Echo alot of the above comments. Avoid the harbour restaurant as over priced with so so food, nothing like how it used to be. Jojos is great if you like tapas style food and bringing your own bottle is a bonus. Had a couple of lovely meals in Samphire which coincidently is next to wheelers famous oyster bar. Wheelers is great for fresh seafood but having become so popular with celebrities and DFL's usually requires weeks if not months in advance booking.
  • Options

I too am a curious about the Tesco reference

Whitstable has a very strong "shop local" ethic and is one of the few towns left in England with locally owned and independent butchers, bakers, greengrocers etc at the heart of the community and the locals protect this asset fiercely. They regard Tesco as the devil incarnate set on destroying their local community and replacing it with the same sad litter strewn high-streets containing nothing more than yobs,empty charity shops and estate agents that you see elsewhere in the country.

Doesnt seem quite that 'obvious' though !
  • Options
    Croydon addick, before you drive back, if you have time and are still hungry,
    go down to the Blue Marlin in Swalecliffe, best fishshop in the area
    IMHO. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Wheeler's is still the finest for seafood but very tough to get into (tiny) and not great for romantic ambiance.

Jojo's in Tankerton is just 1 mile outside the centre of Whitstable and is very good (and the cheapest) for seafood/tapas/fusion food with great location on the slopes overlooking the sea. Need to book ahead and they only take bookings two weeks in advance.

Take your own wine but Tesco's products are banned for obvious reasons.

Sportsman is Michelin starred, expensive and exclusive to the DFLs these days.

If that fails Samphire, Lobster Shack or Hotel Continental.

JoJos - my in laws live in Westcliffe, so we've been to a lot of restaurants in the area, and Jojos is the best restaurant in the whole area, you can't go wrong. Blinding.
    Bring your own booze, (no Tescos) they cool it for you and don't charge you corkage either.
    The only downside with JoJo's is they stop serving food early and start geeing up the punters to leave from about 10.30, just ignore them, don't feel pressured out, we left at 12.30.
  • Options
    The Tankerton Arms micropub is excellent, it's my Grandad's local.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Love the Tankerton Arms. And The Ship.

Jojo's was hit and miss for me - good food, terrible service and attitude when we went.

Heard very good things about Wheelers and the echo the above about the Whitstable Oyster Company - trade on reputation now, not decent food.

• Options

Croydon addick, before you drive back, if you have time and are still hungry,
    go down to the Blue Marlin in Swalecliffe, best fishshop in the area
    IMHO. Enjoy!

The best fish and chip shop in my opinion is The Seven Seas Fish Bar and Restaurant on Canterbury Road at the other end of town.
  • Options
    Seven Seas is quality, agreed!
  • Options

Seven Seas is quality, agreed!

It's my local. A minutes walk away. All the food is cooked fresh to order.

• Options
    Senpai said:

http://whitstableoystercompany.com/
    This is the famous one. very good when I went years ago

It was good but it doesn't have the reputation it used to have. It had an awful write up in The Telegraph a few years ago. However, it still seems to be popular with tourists and visitors.

Well, I went twice in 2012 and both times I was delighted. Maybe I got carried away by the oysters, which I guess are down to the area more than the restaurant, but they are the best I've had anywhere. All I can say is it sounds like there's a brilliant choice down there, and I envy you all who can get there easily. Another great thread about nothing to do with footie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can recommend "Birdies" on the High Street. Visited there a couple of times this year and the food was great. Very French.
  • Options

Senpai said:

http://whitstableoystercompany.com/
    This is the famous one. very good when I went years ago

It was good but it doesn't have the reputation it used to have. It had an awful write up in The Telegraph a few years ago. However, it still seems to be popular with tourists and visitors.

Well, I went twice in 2012 and both times I was delighted. Maybe I got carried away by the oysters, which I guess are down to the area more than the restaurant, but they are the best I've had anywhere. All I can say is it sounds like there's a brilliant choice down there, and I envy you all who can get there easily. Another great thread about nothing to do with footie.
    And that's before we've even mentioned.my favourite - Krishna, best Indian I've ever been to, the food is superb.
  • Options
    Judging by the comments on this thread, I must have been lucky to get a table at Wheeler's when I rocked up with a ladyfriend without booking a couple of years ago. The tiny back room, very old-fashioned, is like a domestic dining room. Anyone else remember the Wheeler's in Soho, regular haunt of Francis Bacon and Lucian Freud?
  • Options

Judging by the comments on this thread, I must have been lucky to get a table at Wheeler's when I rocked up with a ladyfriend without booking a couple of years ago. The tiny back room, very old-fashioned, is like a domestic dining room. Anyone else remember the Wheeler's in Soho, regular haunt of Francis Bacon and Lucian Freud?

Oh yes, back in the long gone days of ad agency four hour lunches :-) Are they related?

• Options
    Have been reading this with great interest as have just bought a bungalow around this area and will certainly try a few of the places mentioned.
  • Options
    Whereabouts mate? Looking with the Mrs at the moment - moved from Whitstable to Canterbury a couple of years ago but now looking to buy back in Whitstable, lovely place.
  • Options
    Beltinge.Needed to get my Daughter into a school in Canterbury as she has special needs and Bexley have nothing to offer her at 19 whereas Canterbury offers her plenty.Its a big move as ive never been outside Barnehurst area but have been looking for about 6 months now around Whitstable,Chestfield,Herne Bay areas.
  • Options
    Killer Kish there are some really nice places to eat in Herne Bay aswell. Lovely little noodle bar called the coconut tree I went to recently and for the best fish and chips go to Shakey Shakey in the high street. Have lived in Whitstable all my life and moving to Herne Bay in June so any questions feel free to ask and i'll do my best to reply.
  • Options
    Cheers for that leaburn and no doubt will have a few questions for you........We are hoping to of moved in sometime in May.
  • Options
    We moved from bromley to chestfield in Jan Have been trying a few of these places . We have been impressed with Pearsons and the lobster shack. The oyster co was only so so. Keep meaning to try JoJo's as reports are good.
    Good thing though the Valley express goes from the bottom of the road
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck with the move! Hope we find somewhere soon too!!
  • Options
    Cheers Neil hope you find somewhere soon......it did takes us 6 months though !!!!
  • Options
    Cheers. Hopefully won't be that long as the way house prices are it'll be an extra £10k!!

Don't know too much about Beltinge, but you'll love the area, a lot more relaxed than Bexley way - I moved from Bexleyheath to Canterbury and then Whitstable (and back to Canterbury) 12 years ago and love it.
  • Options
    Went there on romantic weekend and Heard oysters was an aphrodisiac and ordered a dozen but was a waste of money as three of them didn't work.
  • Options
    Any suggestions for non fish restaurants?
  • Options
    dont ask for fish
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Any suggestions for non fish restaurants?

As above, Krishna is brilliant for Indian, and Birdies is very nice. Shangri-La is a good Thai place.

And Jojo's was lovely food. I didn't like the service but could have been an off day - great views if you can get a window seat near sunset, too.