Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Support Charlton but not from London or Kent.

Comments

• Options
    This thread is made for OP.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

grew up in shrewsbury,first match at the valley was when the shrews beat us 4-2....i was in with the town fans aswell.my older brother worked at the Q E military hospital and as shrews fans we went together to that match.this would've been 83 ish.from then on,whenever i stopped with him i would walk down to the valley to take a game in.totally and utterly got hooked with all things charlton.the nearest i've lived to london is heckington south lincs,where i am now.
    I go to most matches from llanfairfechan(north wales coast),got a season ticket when i moved back to shropshire,and go as much as work allows from Heckington......strange thing is my daughters got the bug aswell ........I even speak with a bit of south london accent not put on !!!
    I totally and utterly blame my big bruv for the crap life that has come upon me and my girl :)

That 4-2 defeat v Shrewsbury was April 1984. Boiling hot day, only 3,000 crowd, nothing to play for, Charlton totally out-played and I came straight from Heathrow to watch after a flight from. Port of Spain. Flanagan and a cracking Aizlewood volley for our consolation goals.
    Think this was the game Aizlewood had been getting some right stick (booooing) from the fans and when he scored give the fans the 'V' or the bird
    but IIRC up to that game I thought he'd been pretty pants for us and there on afterwards he just got better and better so the booooing improved him ;-)

and i thought he got two goals that day but no idea what they were like
  • Options

Simonsen said:

grew up in shrewsbury,first match at the valley was when the shrews beat us 4-2....i was in with the town fans aswell.my older brother worked at the Q E military hospital and as shrews fans we went together to that match.this would've been 83 ish.from then on,whenever i stopped with him i would walk down to the valley to take a game in.totally and utterly got hooked with all things charlton.the nearest i've lived to london is heckington south lincs,where i am now.
    I go to most matches from llanfairfechan(north wales coast),got a season ticket when i moved back to shropshire,and go as much as work allows from Heckington......strange thing is my daughters got the bug aswell ........I even speak with a bit of south london accent not put on !!!
    I totally and utterly blame my big bruv for the crap life that has come upon me and my girl :)

That 4-2 defeat v Shrewsbury was April 1984. Boiling hot day, only 3,000 crowd, nothing to play for, Charlton totally out-played and I came straight from Heathrow to watch after a flight from. Port of Spain. Flanagan and a cracking Aizlewood volley for our consolation goals.
    Think this was the game Aizlewood had been getting some right stick (booooing) from the fans and when he scored give the fans the 'V' or the bird
    but IIRC up to that game I thought he'd been pretty pants for us and there on afterwards he just got better and better so the booooing improved him ;-)

Oldham at home that was I think. Crowd of 4,000ish. Won 2-1. One or two of those things could be true anyway. He may have scored both
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

I too now represent the Essex branch of the supporters club, living in Braintree. Before we met my wife was Man U fsn living inside the M25 and never had been to old trafford, the day we married she became a Charlton fan!

I'd like to know a bit more about the Essex branch, do you have regular meetings etc.?
    Brought up in Silvertown. Dad took me when I was four. Been going ever since. Moved to Essex at 17. Helped run the Essex Branch of CASC, but support dwindled with two relegations. Shame as we had some good nights, highlight of which was probably 100 people at a dinner / Q&A with Curbs. Recent talk of reviving the branch has come to nothing. Happy to be part of a revival, but need a few more committed souls to keep it going.
  • Options
    addick16 said:

i consider myself one of the biggest Charlton fans stateside. Born and Raised in Chicago, IL ... my Granddad and Dad both born in Bromley and both supported Charlton Athletic. My father, being a director of Charlton Athletic for over a decade, i got overseas quite often to watch the addicks in action as a young boy ... My first game was at Upton Park, and memories haven't stopped since ...

Dare I ask your father's name? Was he one of the directors who helped CAFC return to the valley?

• Options

Simonsen said:

Yes it was the game that Mark gave us the famous V sign and it was a bloody hot day and I can clearly remember one Charlton fan & his scantly clad female companion spending the afternoon on the East terrace sprawled on a large beach towel takeing in both the game & sunbathing (must have been bloody uncomfortable).
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Shrewsbury defeat was end of season, April, as Simonsen points out above. Aizlewood's form improved greatly after the incident, which i think coincided with an upturn in our results, so not likely to have been the Shrewsbury game as we were on a classic 10 game end of season decline, and with very few games left. Any one else want to testify that it was the Shrewsbury game or submit any other evidence on this point? (please and thank you..)
  • Options
    Have lived all my life in South East Essex. Never had any choice about supporting Charlton.
  • Options
    I was born in Charlton. At nine months, I crawled all the way to Arsenal but my dad sat me down and told me in no uncertain terms that I was not to do it again.

At two years old, I took a train to Anfield but my dad fetched me back, thrashed me and told me I was never to do it again.

At three years old, I walked all the way to Old Trafford. My dad brought me back and told me I was never to do it again. I was chained to a chair for a month, fed scraps and forced to wear a Charlton scarf.

From that day on, I supported Charlton. It wouldn't happen now but in my day children were taught proper discipline and it has never done me any harm.

COYR
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There's that bloke who lives in Manchester who didn't want to support Utd or City, so mistakenly thought he'd support another local team - Chorlton Athletic. It seems it took him a while to realise but stayed a supporter nonetheless. I think there's been an article about him in the programme.
  • Options
    My Dad was in the regular Army, so during my early chilhood we moved many times. By the time I was 17, I had regularly watched a number of teams around the Country, and then I met my wife to be whose family were solid Charlton supporters. Basically I always do what my wife tells me.
  • Options

Shrewsbury defeat was end of season, April, as Simonsen points out above. Aizlewood's form improved greatly after the incident, which i think coincided with an upturn in our results, so not likely to have been the Shrewsbury game as we were on a classic 10 game end of season decline, and with very few games left. Any one else want to testify that it was the Shrewsbury game or submit any other evidence on this point? (please and thank you..)

Swords I know our memories sometimes play tricks on us but I still think it may have been against the shrews .Did the aizlewood incident start when he was caught out pussy footing on the edge of his own area or was it a bad backpass to our keeper which put Shrewsbury on the road to victory .
  • Options
    Just caught up with this thread, some great stories here, cheers all.

I can't add much cos I only used to 'live round the corner'
  • Options
    Born in Luton, all if my dads side of the family are from charlton... What ever of the 2 teams I ende up with was going to be a lifetime of heart ache and suffering :)
  • Options

addick16 said:

i consider myself one of the biggest Charlton fans stateside. Born and Raised in Chicago, IL ... my Granddad and Dad both born in Bromley and both supported Charlton Athletic. My father, being a director of Charlton Athletic for over a decade, i got overseas quite often to watch the addicks in action as a young boy ... My first game was at Upton Park, and memories haven't stopped since ...

Dare I ask your father's name? Was he one of the directors who helped CAFC return to the valley?

Michael Stevens ... indeed he did contribute greatly to help the addicks Return to the Valley ... "were going back to the valley .... were going back to the vaaallllllleeeyyyyyyyy, were going back to the valley!!!"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2014

Simonsen said:

The Aizelwood V sign came after he banged in a header v Oldham in the 84-85 season. And you are right, after the V sign he didn't look back and was like a different player. Additional useless information...he was Steve Dixon's favourite player at the time and he always said he'd come good.

The goals in the Shrewsbury match (83-84 season) were pretty good for such an abject performance. Aizlewood's was a nearly waist high volley from near the edge of the area and was probably the best goal he scored for us, although his free kick v Brighton at Selhurst was also pretty good (even though it probably didn't cross the line!)
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Swords I know our memories sometimes play tricks on us but I still think it may have been against the shrews .Did the aizlewood incident start when he was caught out pussy footing on the edge of his own area or was it a bad backpass to our keeper which put Shrewsbury on the road to victory .
    The back pass for a Shrewsbury goal rings a bell and I think Aizelwood was given stick which carried on into the following season. The V sign game v Oldham was in about Sept of 1984 and by the time we played Spurs in Jan 1985, Aizlewood had probably become our most reliable midfielder. He scored the winner in a 1-0 at home to Blackburn very late in the season and rightly won the POTY award. It was quite a turn around.
  • Options
    ummm just back from work and think maybe should'nt of mentioned the s.....bury word.v signs and back passes...:(
  • Options
    Thanks .. That matches my memories pretty exactly.. Can't remember much else but 83-87 were my most formative as an addick. The Blackburn 1.0 meant we stayed up that season
    Simonsen said:

The back pass for a Shrewsbury goal rings a bell and I think Aizelwood was given stick which carried on into the following season. The V sign game v Oldham was in about Sept of 1984 and by the time we played Spurs in Jan 1985, Aizlewood had probably become our most reliable midfielder. He scored the winner in a 1-0 at home to Blackburn very late in the season and rightly won the POTY award. It was quite a turn around.
  • Options

Thanks .. That matches my memories pretty exactly.. Can't remember much else but 83-87 were my most formative as an addick. The Blackburn 1.0 meant we stayed up that season

Simonsen said:

Swords &Simmo your memories are spot on according to Colin Camerons excellant home & away book the V sign was given to us on the 15th september 1984 when we were at home to Oldham (2-1victory) Aizelwood & a Killer penalty our goalscorers .
  • Options
    Charlton fans NOT from London or Kent..... I thought that pretty much ruled out our fan base! ;)

Now I'm reading we have fans in Leicester. I wonder if we stretch to outside the UK....?! ;)
  • Options
    Moved in with a mate in Thornton Heath in '85, having been brought up in Bedfordshire (parents were from London and followed Spurs and West Ham) continued to travel to Luton for home games but gradually started going to Selhurst to watch Charlton. Over the next four years started going to more and more Charlton games, persuaded my Charlton based company to get an executive box, got involved with The Valley Party and by 88-89 realised I was no longer a Luton fan. For the next six years I hardly missed an Addicks game home or away...