Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Should Cousins be playing !!!!

Am I missing something but I haven' t been impressed with him for the last 3 or 4 games he is no winger. Surely Wilson would be a better option as him and Solly have a good understanding and cover each other

Comments

• I'd go with a diamond midfield, Wilson on the right, Cousins holding, JJ on the left and Diego at the top of the diamond. Leave AA to roam as he please up front alongside Sordell and create havoc
  • Surely Diego should be holding as he's the Defensive Midfielder whilst Cousins is a Box to Box player?
  • Why the need for a holding midfielder at home in the championship!?!
  • I like Cousins, but he is never a winger and as for an attacking midfielder, his shooting is absolutely awful.
  • He should be playing centre mid. Once he has he ball at his feet and space in front of him he has the ability to run direct with the ball. He did it again today when Hanley was all over him from the centre circle to the edge of the box.

The current thinking about not playing Wilson is perplexing. Is it to fit Jackson in to the team?
  • I'm more concerned Wilson isn't playing.
  • He should be in the middle instead of jackson. Wilson should be playing right.
  • Cousins has been shunted out to the wing too many times now to accomodate Jackson in the team

for me Adjaravic/Wilson right mid, Poyet & Cousins centre mid with Hariott / Jackson left mid

Just don't think the team should be picked around Jackson when many a game now passes him by and his influence on games is getting less and less
  • Sponsored links:

• Cousin is a good player and playing him on the right is a waste of time as he is not a winger. Drop Jackson and play cousins in the middle where he has played his best football. Also he got my vote today for player of the season as well.
  • dingdong said:

Am I missing something but I haven' t been impressed with him for the last 3 or 4 games he is no winger. Surely Wilson would be a better option as him and Solly have a good understanding and cover each other

There was i thinking my view was unique.
    For his age and stage of development Cousins is a good player. But right now we would be better off with him out of the starting line-up. I think he has been poor in recent games.

• Cousins is no winger as we saw at Bramell lane. What is it with managers and square pegs and round holes.
    it's not his fault he is played out of position.
  • Jackson shouldn't be anywhere near the wing. Would have poyet + cousins as midfield shield Jackson as forward central mid then Wilson right, harriot left and sordell up top. Sub Jacko for AA with 30 to go and jobs a goodun.
  • He should not be playing anywhere near the touch line. Barely recall him ever putting a cross in in months
  • I suppose it's tough to bring a youth player in, play him for a few games for a reason not linked to an injury, and then put them back firmly into the background.

Happened to Pigott. Doubt we will see him again.
  • Cousins has a bit of physical presence (given his age) and pace both of which we largely lack.

He needs to play but I accept that he is not a right winger.
  • edited April 2014

Cousin is a good player and playing him on the right is a waste of time as he is not a winger. Drop Jackson and play cousins in the middle where he has played his best football. Also he got my vote today for player of the season as well.

I've felt for several games that Cousins is not contributing what he can in the role he's been playing and there is an argument to play him left mid leaving Jackson on the bench as JJ is too slow these days.
    Cousins not contributing is almost as bad as playing with ten men when you throw in JJ's lack of pace at left mid.
    The problem for me is that Jackson has a wealth of experience that cannot be ignored whereas Cousins is the opposite.
    When I talk of left mid I am not visualising a wide role or winger, I always prefer overlapping full backs/wing backs to inject the pace playing wide
  • edited April 2014
    Last season Solly & Wiggins made some great overlapping runs & whipped in some wicked balls into the 6 yard box

• Sponsored links:

• Wilson - Cousins - Poyet - Jackson - Ajdarevic (for the 30 seconds he can survive before he runs out of puff)

I have no idea why Riga has never attempted this. It could be that Wilson was so effective at RB he's now considered to be only a RB, which is insane, or it could be a bizarre attempt to 'rest' players during the essential run-in, which is equally insane. Lawrie's played the whole season. I'm sure he could manage a game in front of Solly and then a game at RB against Watford. Hope it doesn't end up costing us.
  • edited April 2014

Wilson - Cousins - Poyet - Jackson - Ajdarevic (for the 30 seconds he can survive before he runs out of puff)

I have no idea why Riga has never attempted this. It could be that Wilson was so effective at RB he's now considered to be only a RB, which is insane, or it could be a bizarre attempt to 'rest' players during the essential run-in, which is equally insane. Lawrie's played the whole season. I'm sure he could manage a game in front of Solly and then a game at RB against Watford. Hope it doesn't end up costing us.

A nice idea but it does look a tad defensive to play as a 4-5-1. Poyet has yet to score, Cousins has 2 goals and Wilson is a right back.

That said i'd have Wilson right midfield at the moment
  • He does a job in that position, but he does look like a fish out of water there. He should be in the middle with, as has been said, Wilson on the right.
  • Jackson isn't offering much right now and hasn't done in a while, Cousins and Poyet should be the midfield pairing with Wilson on the right and the left side either JJ AA or Harriot.

Today's game also showed the need for having Pritchard on the bench. He is a decent option to have when your being overrun in midfield as he never stops running and hassles the opponents.
  • edited April 2014

Cousins is no winger as we saw at Bramell lane. What is it with managers and square pegs and round holes.

I'd usually suggest it's because we don't have enough round pegs, but the failure to play Wilson on the right wing when Solly's at right back would be an argument against that.
  • aliwibble said:

Cousins is no winger as we saw at Bramell lane. What is it with managers and square pegs and round holes.

I'd usually suggest it's because we don't have enough round pegs, but the failure to play Wilson on the right wing when Solly's at right back would be an argument against that.
    Is Wilson quick?
  • purdis said:

aliwibble said:

Is Wilson quick?
    I reckon he's the quickest player we've got
  • 3-5-2 might be the answer. I was at Vicarage Rd and saw our win vs Leicester just before that and 4-5-1 or 3-5-2 allows for three central midfielders...
    Can Fox, Solly, (Wilson or Nego) be good enough at wing back so we can play 3 in central defence and three in midfield?
  • Why when he's on the wing can't he trap a bag of cement , his touch goes to pot
  • The question is where to play him.
    On the right hand side wide, we may as well play with ten men. Wilson in front of Solly is the combination.
    I think Cousins will be a very good player but for now he is out of position.