Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pre-season in Belgium

2»

Comments

• Options
    So STVV are part of "the network" then...
  • Options
    Any news on when the other Friendly fixtures will be released... i.e. Welling?
  • Options
    Can't go to this as but recommend driving as a cheap option...3 of us in my car to Oudenaard a few weekends back was £65 each, inc diesel and euro tunnel... Less than two hours from Calais...cheaper and less hassle than flights etc and you can bring back a boot full of booze (as per the other thread from a few weeks back...)
  • Options
    World Cup quarter finals on TV, or a trip to Belgium to see some half arsed 45 minute kick about ? Hmmm ?
  • Options
    They all fight for a place at Liege
  • Options
    Belgium could be in the quarters, could be a great buzz around the place!
  • Options
    Mike said:

Belgium could be in the quarters, could be a great buzz around the place!

So could England :-)
  • Options
    Fort Loncin is a spectacular few hours worth of your time, better that anything I have seen in Verdun, the Belgique garrison held on despite being surrounded, one of the defenders on the memorial was from Brixton but serving in the Belgium army.

The battle of the frontiers around Liege is a really fascinating period of the war, I am in Ypres between the 4/7 July with a group already but am going to try and get to a game.
  • Options

World Cup quarter finals on TV, or a trip to Belgium to see some half arsed 45 minute kick about ? Hmmm ?

Why not both?

Im sure the pubs in Belgium will be showing them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:

Would this be in liege? Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that like 100km from Brussels?

Any ideas on how to get there specifically?

Would consider this if it was a) cheap and b) not too much of a hassle.

Book Eurostar to Liege. Change trains in Brussels. Drink beer in one of the bars near the station while waiting for the Liege train.
  • Options
    Any more news or confirmation on this?

I did hear a rumour from a very unreliable source that our new manager had pulled us out of the event (and that was weeks before any news of Peeters coming in).

• Options
    At least most of our players will speak the language....
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Would this be in liege? Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that like 100km from Brussels?

Book Eurostar to Liege. Change trains in Brussels. Drink beer in one of the bars near the station while waiting for the Liege train.
    I'm led to believe that the game is in a place called Sint Truiden, about an hour away from Brussels.
  • Options
    I hope this one goes ahead, as my GPS tells me it is only 2 hours up the road from where I live. See you there!
  • Options

Apparently, the teams have to march past in military formation and salute heir illustrious leader before each game...
  • Options

Huskaris said:

I'm led to believe that the game is in a place called Sint Truiden, about an hour away from Brussels.

Sint Truiden is the club owned by Duchatelet's wife (effectively owned by RD but in his wife's name to enable RD's ownership of Liege). We had a Sint Truiden supporter on here explaining how Duchatelet had basically left them to rot for the last few years, but his post was largely overlooked as it didn't fit in with the "he's a shrewd businessman, Liege are top of the league, wait and see" attitude.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Huskaris said:

MrLargo said:

Sint Truiden is the club owned by Duchatelet's wife (effectively owned by RD but in his wife's name to enable RD's ownership of Liege). We had a Sint Truiden supporter on here explaining how Duchatelet had basically left them to rot for the last few years, but his post was largely overlooked as it didn't fit in with the "he's a shrewd businessman, Liege are top of the league, wait and see" attitude.

I thought the 'mini tournament' was happening to celebrate the opening of a new main stand at Sint Truiden?

3rd place in the Belgium 2nd Division is hardly leaving them to rot is it?
  • Options
    Dreke373 said:

Hi Charlton fans

I'm a fan of one of Roland Duchatelet's teams: K Sint-Truidense VV.

STVV is a club that played for years in the Belgian top flight. In search for extra money (let's say 10 years ago) our Commercial Manager wrote a letter to the top-100 richest Belgians. That's how RD got involved in our club in a sponsordeal. As years went by RD became the president of our club. He managed to buy the football ground and the grounds around it. A few years ago he built a new stand with shops, offices, a hotel etc. The year of the construction we were relegated but got promoted after one year in the second division. Our goalkeeper that year was Simon Mignolet. Yep, now at Liverpool FC.

He took over Ujpest in Hungaria. His son Roderick is president over there.

When Standard Liège was for sale, he jumped on that wagon. Since you can not own two teams in one flight, he "gave" STVV to his wife Marieke Hofte. We got relegated due to a lack of investment and now still play in the second division. A new stand is being built at the moment. Google on "Stayen".

He took over another second division team (Tubize) and a few weeks ago Jena as you all know.

To round up. He owns (or is involved in):
    - Standard de Liège
    - Sint-Truiden VV
    - Tubize AFC
    - Carl Zeiss Jena
    - Ujpest FC

That is a brief (and incomplete) round up of his history in football.

What I think you all should know:
    - He bought the grounds around Staaien for peanuts from the city council. He's transforming the ground into something multifunctional. The benefits go straight into his pockets. No bennefit for the club.
    - After huge protest against him in Liège, he announced he would put the club up for sale. Nothing happened since. Of course the results of Standard (first in the league) helps him with that.
    - Between Sint-Truiden, Tubize and Standard players switch very often. It's no exception when there are 4 to 5 five players on loan from Standard at Sint-Truiden. None are of real added value.
    - The president of STVV is a close friend and businesspartner of Duchatelet.

What I want to warn you for:
    - Charlton will be just one link in his football club imperium.
    - Duchatelet is often seen as an idiot in football matters. But no one can deny he is a genious in businesses.
    - At first, we were delighted to see him arrive at our club. 10 years later, he is the worst thing that could have happened to us. We don't own our own ground any more (it's like a bird locked up in a golden cage), we got relegated to second devision thanks to his policy and now he still has his shadow hanging over us. I honestly believe he wants us to stay there because that's better for him.
    - He got me that far that I am doubting to buy a season ticket in the future. I'm disgusted by him and his accomplices who don't fear lieing straight in the fans' faces at supporters meetings.

What I would like to know from you:
    - Are there any plans for a new ground at Charlton? Because that's what is importent for him in Sint-Truiden and Liège. I can not speak for Ujpest, Zena and Tubize.

A fiew last remarks:
    - I have the feeling that the bigger part of the Sint-Truiden fans have the same view as me. Altough I'm not sure. But there are also people who believe he has saved our club.
    - This is only a very brief round up. It is far more complicated than this. So if you have questions, just ask them. I'll try to visit your forum on a regular basis.
    - Maybe he brings you back to the Premier League, maybe he destroys you completely. No one knows. Maybe we will see Charlton players in Sint-Truiden, Zena, Liège and Tubize. Or the other way around. No one knows.
    - With this post, I only want to prevent you guys from (potentially) misplaced euforia.
    - I did my best to express myself in English. That's what we do. :-) Please don't botter on general remarks about Belgians like the ones in a post in this treath. They are short-sighted.

• Options
    Addickted said:

Huskaris said:

MrLargo said:

I thought the 'mini tournament' was happening to celebrate the opening of a new main stand at Sint Truiden?

3rd place in the Belgium 2nd Division is hardly leaving them to rot is it?

See above quote. In particular:

- He bought the grounds around Staaien for peanuts from the city council. He's transforming the ground into something multifunctional. The benefits go straight into his pockets. No bennefit for the club.

- At first, we were delighted to see him arrive at our club. 10 years later, he is the worst thing that could have happened to us. We don't own our own ground any more (it's like a bird locked up in a golden cage), we got relegated to second devision thanks to his policy and now he still has his shadow hanging over us. I honestly believe he wants us to stay there because that's better for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And?

Would you take third place in The Championship this coming season?

• Options
    Addickted said:

And?

He got them relegated first, so the equivalent would be us being relegated to League 1 and then being third in the League 1 table. No thanks.
  • Options
    I realise that certain comments about the quality of Belgian 1st division have been too disparaging, but effectively comparing their 2nd division to the Championship is ridiculous.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Addickted said:

And?

He got them relegated first, so the equivalent would be us being relegated to League 1 and then being third in the League 1 table. No thanks.
    Point taken but it's his WIFE'S team & therefore she calls the shots.

And we all know how much women know about football......

:-)

• Options
    DRAddick said:

I realise that certain comments about the quality of Belgian 1st division have been too disparaging, but effectively comparing their 2nd division to the Championship is ridiculous.

The conference would be it's limit, not the championship
  • Options

MrLargo said:

Addickted said:

And?

Point taken but it's his WIFE'S team & therefore she calls the shots.

And we all know how much women know about football......

:-)

I'm sure they've got lovely cushions in the dugouts though.
  • Options
    Any news on whether this is happening?
  • Options
    Any news when the other UK based pre-season friendlies will be announced??
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Any news when the other UK based pre-season friendlies will be announced??

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/1853758#Comment_1853758

Welling, Ebbsfleet and Pompey

Confirmed 2014/15 pre-season friendlies:

Welling United (A) - Saturday, July 12th (3pm)
    Ebbsfleet United (A) - Tuesday, July 22nd (7.45pm)
    Portsmouth (A) - Saturday, August 2nd (3pm)
  • Options
    I'm told there will be some news tomorrow on pre-season.