Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parking near The Valley (ie don't)

I (and I image others) got a parking ticket on Saturday when parking near the ground for the game. I parked in a place which I have parked in many times before without problem. It is near the Macro in the road where they are doing the building work. I also sometimes park in Anchor and Hope Lane if I am going for lunch before the game.
I have never seen anything about parking restrictions so I went onto the Greenwich council website and it turns out that almost the entire area around the valley is now a retricted parking zone (including A&H Road). Monday to Saturday until 6.30. I can't see any other reason to make this area restricted except for money making out of football fans. From the map linked below I think there is hardly anywhere now which is not restricted or permit holder only.

Please let others know if they intend to drive to games. And any advice on future parking options which do not include pay £5 would be welcome.

http://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/info/473/street_parking-zones/343/controlled_parking_zones/2

Comments

• edited April 2014
    If there was no sign visible where you parked / in the vicinity, I cannot for the life of me see how they could give you a ticket. Surely you can appeal that?
  • Don't need visible signs when in a CPZ. Just signs on entering it.
  • DRFDRF
    edited April 2014
    I think there is a sign at the start of entering Charlton which says you are entering a controlled parking zone (thanks for confirming Leroy). I personally had no idea what 'controlled' actually meant. But I assume becuase this sign was there it's my fault for not looking into which streets specifically it affects and what the controls actually are?

That is utter bollocks (not your statement, Leroy). Talk about misleading - money grabbing bastards.

I assume they have to have a sign on every street to say you are leaving the "zone" too?
  • I live on the edge of a CPZ in Lewisham and there are signs where it starts/ends on my road and all the neighbouring ones. There are also signs on the lamp posts etc saying what times it is enforced. Pretty sure there are at least some of these in the Charlton one as I've read it finishes at 6.30 on them (I think).
    From a quick glance at the website, what I didn't realise is that they enforce them on all bank holidays except Xmas and New Year, which I can understand in touristy Greenwich, but not anywhere else.
  • I got a parking ticket in Anchor and Hope Lane during the Bank Holiday Friday game. We figured it was because it was a Friday and the parking attendant eyes lit up at all the cars. Never seen a ticket issued there on a Saturday.

I have appealed it on the basis that the yellow line in question is incomplete, with large gaps in it. The line was also incorrectly marked with no end markers denote the start/finish of the line. There is also no signage in Anchor and Hope Lane stating it is a controlled parking zone, nor its hours of operation. I went back the following day to double check, the only signs are for free parking.

I'll let you know how the appeal turns out.

That is utter bollocks (not your statement, Leroy). Talk about misleading - money grabbing bastards.

I assume they have to have a sign on every street to say you are leaving the "zone" too?
    I think so - though not too sure on it. I would imagine there's similar legislation on being made aware that you're leaving the zone as there is on being made aware you're entering it.

CPZs are usually brought in for good reasons (e.g. good luck trying to find parking outside your house on a Saturday if you happen to live in a shopping area) but, as so often happens, are quickly abused for profit.
  • I'm guessing, but don't think anything has changed from when they were introduced years ago.

I believe you have to go on the appropriate signs & if there are bays saying free parking then you're ok.

I've had no problems, but I'm not saying where I park or you'll all nick my space :-)
  • My girlfriend also had a parking ticket on the Good Friday game, she was parked on a single yellow. No signposts anywhere and nothing to inform us it was a CPZ. Well done to Greenwich Council for daylight robbery. I'm sure the Parking attendant's eyes lit up when he saw the queue of cars stretching down A&H Lane.

I'll be interested to see how your appeal turns out Missed It, as the process seems pretty long, drawn out and painful. My girlfriend paid the £65 fine straight away just because she knows how much hassle it's going to be.
  • edited April 2014
    Got a lift on saturday and parked fairly close thanks to the drivers Blue Badge. Might be the way to go, I'll go annoy Eddie Youds like Bergkamp did to get qualified:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• A lot of councils don't allow parking on yellow lines on Bank Holidays.
  • I parked in Kinveachy Gardens and that appears to be in the zone - are you saying I can't park in Kinveachy anymore!?
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I parked in Kinveachy Gardens and that appears to be in the zone - are you saying I can't park in Kinveachy anymore!?

Unless someone can show me otherwise, I don't think there have been any recent changes & on that basis as Kinveachy has always been ok, i'd assume it still is.

IMO you can park inside the CPZ as long as you comply with the restriction signs.

So a yellow line = don't park.

A max 2 hrs = don't park for longer.

Bays not in use = don't park in them etc.

Parking free bays = ok

I'm not being facetious.
  • Used to live in Heathwood Gardens which runs parallel to Kinveachy Gardens and as long as you ain't on a yellow you're fine at all times. Though I couldn't even park on my own road at times of an evening even when the match wasn't on.
  • There is plenty of free parking but it's probably a good 10-15 minute walk to the ground. Plenty of the roads off Victoria way passed the Rose of Denmark pub has free parking spaces.
  • Proper Charlton park south of Charlton Park. The yomp back up the hill justifies the pre-match sausage and chips. Win-win.
  • Plenty of free bays at all times St. Alfege Road, near Charlton Park. 10 minute walk down the hill to the ground. Also on Cemetery Lane I think.
  • I often park in the area that consists of Wolfe Cres, Hasted Road & Pound Park Road and all these are restricted parking with "free" bays marked out (most only just as the paint needs updating) either on the pavement or on the roads. The one thing that really irks me is that either the residents put out cones or blocks of wood to stop you parking or some have even started to dig up their front garden & put their cars in front of the house so you can't really park in a designated bay outside.

I know it must be a real pain having football fans parking outside your home every other week, and they don't have the option of living elsewhere as its council housing & I doubt whether the residents have a choice of where they live, but it does annoy me to see valid empty bays that are being blocked for no reason.

evening games are not so bad as some of the restrictions end after 6.30pm , so you can park on the yellow lines - but I still saw some people doing that on sat - one right in front of the sign saying no parking, mon-sat before 6.30pm, so they have no one to blame but themselves.
  • If it says "Free" on lampposts it is msleading.
  • edited April 2014
    If there are

Don't need visible signs when in a CPZ. Just signs on entering it.

If there are ANY roads not signed in or out of the zone or if they are not visible to drivers at any entry or exit point (turned round, missing or hidden by trees) you have grounds for appeal. Sucessfully appealed where Victoria way meets Charlton village a few years back. Bet the council still haven't corrected the signage there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tempting fate here. but nowadays, i find paying a fiver to ensure you dont get a ticket to be quite a saving over the season !
  • I park on hornfair rd most times I drive, 10 minute walk but it saves on train fair and no risk of ticketing.
  • The roads around ground have had two hour maximum parking for years haven't they?
  • Anyone else think that he will be our manager next season?

Especially now he's been seen near the valley.

He did ok with us and has had a good spell at Bradford.

Maybe he's got Belgian connections too... Philippe Parkinson'.
  • edited April 2014

Phil Parkinson for England.
  • Don't normally drive but have to tomorrow due to work. Can anyone suggest somewhere reasonably close (i.e. no more than 10-15 mins), don't mind paying.
  • Sollied said:

Don't normally drive but have to tomorrow due to work. Can anyone suggest somewhere reasonably close (i.e. no more than 10-15 mins), don't mind paying.

Public car park in Victoria Way, just up from the Woolwich Road junction. Max 10 minute walk from there to the Valley, and no hills.
  • Meridian sports ground.or roads around it normally have spaces
  • Sollied said:

Don't normally drive but have to tomorrow due to work. Can anyone suggest somewhere reasonably close (i.e. no more than 10-15 mins), don't mind paying.

Hornfair Road, Just up the hill from the valley. Free parking and many side streets. 10 minute walk at max.
  • Westmoor street, over the rd from old horse and groome and just down from the oak