Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Very heavy rain

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:
    Wow, this weather is mental. Got to be the worst summer ever. I don't like this climate change lark.
    Strange one for sure, hardly had any rain in June...now this, hoping for an Indian Summer.
  • Options
    Now being forecast on BBC for this afternoon, hope the pitch holds up.
    Blimey, I thought ..... I've got my washing on the line, get it in.

And then I saw the date, 9 years ago! :smile:

• Options
    Stig said:
    Wow, this weather is mental. Got to be the worst summer ever. I don't like this climate change lark.
    Yep, had to abandon ship after 15 holes when I was having a good round :-( 
  • Options
    Stig said:

I'd rather this than the temps they been getting in Greece and Italy.
    I'd rather neither, mind
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Ireland certainly seems exempt from this climate change lark. Been coming here for 45 years and the rain I’ve experienced last few days has been as consistent as ever. 
  • Options
    Hot sunny weather  = climate change 
    Wet & windy weather  = climate change.

Can't win. It's just the weather innit. 
  • Options

No. It’s more chaotic than usual. That’s the effect of climate change. 
    But is it? Or are the media just highlighting as so?

Had some sun. Had some rain. Sounds like summer to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

But look at the intensity of both.  The heat is extreme, and the rain, certainly in my opinion has been torrentially more than I can recall on my 41 years on this planet.  

This isn’t aimed at you, but I’ve seen a lot of tweets (as an example) of people lashing out at the weather maps being dark red, and that the media are scare mongering people with terms like global boiling.  Whilst I don’t disagree Papers choose emotive language when it comes to headlines, surely people can see a change in climate globally.  Just because we’ve had a month of grey skies and rain in July, doesn’t mean it’s not happening.  

I won’t derail the thread as I appreciate it can very quickly descend into politics etc, but my personal observation, for what it’s worth, is that we are seeing more extreme weather and the planet is getting hotter.  The two are inextricably linked for me 
    Good points. But another point is this thread called 'Very heavy rain' was started in 2014. 

Because exactly the same was happening.
  • Options

Markets up

Markets down

Its just the Markets innit ! 😉😂
  • Options
    With a hosepipe ban still in force in most of Kent and Sussex, the rain is very welcome for watering thirsty gardens.
  • Options
    With a hosepipe ban still in force in most of Kent and Sussex, the rain is very welcome for watering thirsty gardens.
    I can imagine Noah after 40 days and 40 nights on his ark still being told to conserve water...
  • Options
    Without water life stops. Don't complain.
  • Options

No
  • Options
    cabbles said:

But look at the intensity of both.  The heat is extreme, and the rain, certainly in my opinion has been torrentially more than I can recall on my 41 years on this planet.  

This isn’t aimed at you, but I’ve seen a lot of tweets (as an example) of people lashing out at the weather maps being dark red, and that the media are scare mongering people with terms like global boiling.  Whilst I don’t disagree Papers choose emotive language when it comes to headlines, surely people can see a change in climate globally.  Just because we’ve had a month of grey skies and rain in July, doesn’t mean it’s not happening.  

I won’t derail the thread as I appreciate it can very quickly descend into politics etc, but my personal observation, for what it’s worth, is that we are seeing more extreme weather and the planet is getting hotter.  The two are inextricably linked for me 
    Good points. But another point is this thread called 'Very heavy rain' was started in 2014. 

But what was thought heavy rain in 2014 was nothing worse than a light shower these days.  Heavy rain now is really heavy.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

But what was thought heavy rain in 2014 was nothing worse than a light shower these days.  Heavy rain now is really heavy.
    My own readings over 17 years confirmed the impression I had that periods of heavy rain were getting more and more frequent.
  • Options
    SE Water are reviewing their hosepipe ban tomorrow, but they appear to be paving the way for a continuation, as they have said today that they want to be sure that the likelihood of a heatwave is over. 

We had a very wet Spring with water supplies said to be plentiful, we had a few hot dry days in June and almost immediately SE Water were unable to supply enough water. The south east didn't have the continuous hot spell that the rest of the country experienced as there was a cold wind blowing from the east for much of the month. July was one of the wettest for a long time and August shows only a little sign of improvement. If SE Water continues with the hosepipe ban they should be stripped of their licence.
    Here in NW kent I recorded 55mm in July which I would call average or just above.  Conversely this month is over 15mm in the first 3 days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me climate changes slowly but in recent years so many records have been not just broken but smashed.  Rather than being beaten by a few points if a degree, maximums around the world have been surpassed by several degrees.  In 2020 our spring sunshine hours were 17% greater than the previous record.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    SE Water are reviewing their hosepipe ban tomorrow, but they appear to be paving the way for a continuation, as they have said today that they want to be sure that the likelihood of a heatwave is over. 

We had a very wet Spring with water supplies said to be plentiful, we had a few hot dry days in June and almost immediately SE Water were unable to supply enough water. The south east didn't have the continuous hot spell that the rest of the country experienced as there was a cold wind blowing from the east for much of the month. July was one of the wettest for a long time and August shows only a little sign of improvement. If SE Water continues with the hosepipe ban they should be stripped of their licence.

Just use a watering can. The grass will recover as soon as it rains again. IMO a better way of watering anyway as one tends to focus on the plants that need it most.
    This year I noticed my water butts were empty in the middle of June after the short dry spell. Over-flowing now.
    Most water companies are a shambles, some slightly less so than others.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I’ve decided that heat in the rain is the worst ‘common’ weather condition imaginable.

Go out in jeans and jacket because it’s pissing down, but still sweating constantly. 

I’d genuinely rather it was just freezing cold and raining. 
  • Options
    You'd hate Darwin then!
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I’ve decided that heat in the rain is the worst ‘common’ weather condition imaginable.

Go out in jeans and jacket because it’s pissing down, but still sweating constantly. 

I’d genuinely rather it was just freezing cold and raining. 
    Rather wear shorts in the rain than jeans 
  • Options

Just use a watering can. The grass will recover as soon as it rains again. IMO a better way of watering anyway as one tends to focus on the plants that need it most.
    This year I noticed my water butts were empty in the middle of June after the short dry spell. Over-flowing now.
    I don't actually need to use a hosepipe at the moment as it has been so wet, but it's a matter of principle, there shouldn't be a hosepipe ban when water supplies are so plentiful.

I would never water the grass anyway,  but it's newer plants that I put in earlier in the year in almost certain knowledge that no hosepipe ban would be needed this year. SE Water is failing as it cannot supply the water its customers need.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    My uncle did his national service in Hong Kong. He has not eaten rice for 67 years.
  • Options

I don't actually need to use a hosepipe at the moment as it has been so wet, but it's a matter of principle, there shouldn't be a hosepipe ban when water supplies are so plentiful.

I would never water the grass anyway,  but it's newer plants that I put in earlier in the year in almost certain knowledge that no hosepipe ban would be needed this year. SE Water is failing as it cannot supply the water its customers need.
    Water for gardens is not a need. 

I think there may be a few more technicalities to revocation of a licence than some wilting petunias.

The fact that there is a hosepipe ban suggests that water supplies are not plentiful. their data and forecasts on capacity versus demand will be behind the bans, not some bloke looking out of the window.

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Saw the headline and thought it was about this: