Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Very heavy rain

124»

Comments

• Options
    We need our gardens for wildlife, that shouldn't be allowed to die because of an inept water company.
  • Options
    Good news, SE Water has seen sense and lifted the hosepipe ban. 
  • Options
    SE Water are reviewing their hosepipe ban tomorrow, but they appear to be paving the way for a continuation, as they have said today that they want to be sure that the likelihood of a heatwave is over. 

We had a very wet Spring with water supplies said to be plentiful, we had a few hot dry days in June and almost immediately SE Water were unable to supply enough water. The south east didn't have the continuous hot spell that the rest of the country experienced as there was a cold wind blowing from the east for much of the month. July was one of the wettest for a long time and August shows only a little sign of improvement. If SE Water continues with the hosepipe ban they should be stripped of their licence.

Just use a watering can. The grass will recover as soon as it rains again. IMO a better way of watering anyway as one tends to focus on the plants that need it most.
    This year I noticed my water butts were empty in the middle of June after the short dry spell. Over-flowing now.
    Most water companies are a shambles, some slightly less so than others.
    I don't actually need to use a hosepipe at the moment as it has been so wet, but it's a matter of principle, there shouldn't be a hosepipe ban when water supplies are so plentiful.

I would never water the grass anyway,  but it's newer plants that I put in earlier in the year in almost certain knowledge that no hosepipe ban would be needed this year. SE Water is failing as it cannot supply the water its customers need.
    Water for gardens is not a need. 

I think there may be a few more technicalities to revocation of a licence than some wilting petunias.

The fact that there is a hosepipe ban suggests that water supplies are not plentiful. their data and forecasts on capacity versus demand will be behind the bans, not some bloke looking out of the window.

Exactly, if water was plentiful in the south east we wouldn't have a hosepipe ban.
    There are more and more homes being built in the south east, so this won't be changing anytime soon.
    Why do we need hosepipes anyway.
    If you've got flowers that need watering use a watering can.
    If your car is filthy use a bucket.
    I'd rather we are able to fill our kettles, have a wash, a shower, use the dishwasher and flush our toilets, in preference to a minority pouring a deluge of water over their garden or filling kids padding pools.
  • Options
    SE Water are reviewing their hosepipe ban tomorrow, but they appear to be paving the way for a continuation, as they have said today that they want to be sure that the likelihood of a heatwave is over. 

We had a very wet Spring with water supplies said to be plentiful, we had a few hot dry days in June and almost immediately SE Water were unable to supply enough water. The south east didn't have the continuous hot spell that the rest of the country experienced as there was a cold wind blowing from the east for much of the month. July was one of the wettest for a long time and August shows only a little sign of improvement. If SE Water continues with the hosepipe ban they should be stripped of their licence.

Just use a watering can. The grass will recover as soon as it rains again. IMO a better way of watering anyway as one tends to focus on the plants that need it most.
    This year I noticed my water butts were empty in the middle of June after the short dry spell. Over-flowing now.
    Most water companies are a shambles, some slightly less so than others.
    I don't actually need to use a hosepipe at the moment as it has been so wet, but it's a matter of principle, there shouldn't be a hosepipe ban when water supplies are so plentiful.

I would never water the grass anyway,  but it's newer plants that I put in earlier in the year in almost certain knowledge that no hosepipe ban would be needed this year. SE Water is failing as it cannot supply the water its customers need.
    Water for gardens is not a need. 

I think there may be a few more technicalities to revocation of a licence than some wilting petunias.

The fact that there is a hosepipe ban suggests that water supplies are not plentiful. their data and forecasts on capacity versus demand will be behind the bans, not some bloke looking out of the window.

SE Water have poor infrastructure and cannot keep up with demand. 
  • Options
    We need our gardens for wildlife, that shouldn't be allowed to die because of an inept water company.
    You don't need a hosepipe to put water out for wildlife (yes it may help if you have a pond). 
  • Options
    I've got big butt's and I cannot lie.
  • Options
    Lots due tomorrow over SE7. Wind too. 

Could we have another game postponed in August like against Doncaster 10 years ago. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Forecast heavy all day here in the fens tomorrow. Gonna get the sandbags out I think.
    Although I did clean my gutters out with the hosepipe this afternoon, lots of gunk causing a block on 3 sides. A watering can just wouldn't have shifted it.
  • Options
    Lots due tomorrow over SE7. Wind too. 

Could we have another game postponed in August like against Doncaster 10 years ago. 
    No
  • Options
    The Sun may peep out for the K.O.

• Options
    Get the hosepipes out. Ban lifted with immediate effect. 
  • Options
    Probably still water the pitch regardless 
  • Options
    Wet, but not forecast to be as bad as some have posted:

• Options
    Thought I'd cheer you up by letting you know it's absolutely torrential over here in Corfu.

• Options
    Thought I'd cheer you up by letting you know it's absolutely torrential over here in Corfu.

They probably need it
  • Options

Is it called Corfu because that's the first thing the holiday makers say when they see its raining, 'Cor, fu....'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wet, but not forecast to be as bad as some have posted:

Or is it
  • Options
    There's a big blob (technical term) of heavy rain approaching from the west.  At a rough guess it will arrive around 2:30.

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar
  • Options

That blob of yellow and reds is biblical levels of rain. On track to hit around 2:30 to 3.
  • Options
    Was all fine 
  • Options
    At Goodwood today for the races and it was cancelled after the 4th race. Very heavy downpours. Only the biggest climate change denier would say this weather is normal.