Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup 2014 Thread

Comments

• Options
    PL54 said:

Not too shabby is it? No Kaka or Coutinho.

Goalkeepers: Júlio César (Toronto FC), Jéfferson (Botafogo), Victor (Grêmio).

Defenders: Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Maicon (Roma), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Maxwell (Paris Saint-Germain), David Luiz (Chelsea), Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain), Dante (Bayern Munich), Henrique (Napoli).

Midfielders: Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Paulinho (Tottenham), Ramires (Chelsea), Fernandinho (Manchester City), Oscar (Chelsea), Willian (Chelsea), Hernanes (Internazionale), Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk).

Forwards: Fred (Fluminense), Neymar (Barcelona), Hulk (Zenit St Petersburg), Jô (Atlético Mineiro).

How many of them play in Brazil ?
    Four...But a few players, like Pato, specifically moved to Brazil this season so they could make the squad. Didn't quite go to plan! I don't now if it's still the case, but about three years ago Brazil had more players playing in the Champions League than any other country. That's crazy.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Defenders: Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Maicon (Roma), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Maxwell (Paris Saint-Germain), David Luiz (Chelsea), Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain), Dante (Bayern Munich), Henrique (Napoli).

Midfielders: Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Paulinho (Tottenham), Ramires (Chelsea), Fernandinho (Manchester City), Oscar (Chelsea), Willian (Chelsea), Hernanes (Internazionale), Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk).

Forwards: Fred (Fluminense), Neymar (Barcelona), Hulk (Zenit St Petersburg), Jô (Atlético Mineiro).

Surely you can see it is 4? The teams are in brackets for you.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    World Cup odds from Sky Bet:

Brazil 3/1
    Argentina 5/1
    Germany 5/1
    Spain 6/1
    Belgium 16/1
    Italy 20/1
    Holland 25/1
    France 25/1
    Colombia 25/1
    England 28/1
    Uruguay 28/1
    Portugal 28/1
    Chile 50/1
    Russia 66/1
    Mexico 125/1
    Switzerland 125/1
    U.S.A 125/1
    Ecuador 150/1
    Bosnia-Herz 150/1
    Japan 150/1
    Ivory Coast 150/1
    Croatia 175/1
    Nigeria 200/1
    Ghana 250/1
    Greece 250/1
    South Korea 500/1
    Cameroon 1000/1
    Australia 1000/1
    Algeria 1500/1
    Costa Rica 1500/1
    Iran 2000/1
    Honduras 2000/1
  • Options

PL54 said:

I am not really big on my Brazilian teams vs those in any other part of Sth America or beyond
  • Options
    PL54 said:

PL54 said:

I am not really big on my Brazilian teams vs those in any other part of Sth America or beyond
    yeah but bar Cesar for Toronto and Bernard for Shakhtar the others are playing in huge leagues.
  • Options
    Uruguay worth a cheeky fiver at those odds.
  • Options
    If you are not a member of 888 they are offering Brazil at 8/1 I believe for new customers.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Was well impressed by Chile when they played at Wembley. Think they could go through instead of Holland, so surprised to see they are twice the odds.
  • Options

PL54 said:

PL54 said:

yeah but bar Cesar for Toronto and Bernard for Shakhtar the others are playing in huge leagues.
    True. Although Shakhtar may not play in a big league (although there's plenty of money in it), they are a decent side in European competitions and don't forget they won the Europa League not so long ago.

Was well impressed by Chile when they played at Wembley. Think they could go through instead of Holland, so surprised to see they are twice the odds.

They play some lovely football and looked good at the last World Cup too.
  • Options
    The mind-games are starting early:

Prandelli: No English players would get into my Italy squad

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3841/world-cup-2014/2014/05/10/4807505/prandelli-no-english-players-would-get-into-my-italy-squad
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2014

Uruguay worth a cheeky fiver at those odds.

I quite like Colombia at 25/1 - I think potentially given how good their midfield options are Falcao might not be such a huge miss, especially with Carlos Bacca in such good form for Sevilla and possibly a more natural fit for their formation than Falcao. I also really like the little I've seen of the centre back Balanta at River Plate and Peckerman is a canny manager.
  • Options

Can we make this the World Cup 2014 squads thread? Makes things a lot simpler.

Germany:

Going to be difficult to cut six/seven players from that squad, so much strength in depth.
  • Options
    Does it matter?
  • Options

poor team and an indictment on the state of Brasilian football.
    aged players going back to Brasil are stars in their league.
    kids aren't developing in Brasil so reliant on the mercenaries.
    sad.
    they won't make the semi's. watch them implode.

They may or may not implode, as with any team, but to suggest that their kids aren't developing is mad.

U20's won and came second in past three World Cups.

The U17's were 3rd in 2013 South American Cup, unbeaten in the tournament.

The U17s have finished 4th and 5th in last 2 world cups (and won it 3 times since 1997!)
    I also guess you haven't heard about Desportivo Brasil.
  • Options
    Those are, quite frankly, ridiculous odds for Chile. Favourable conditions, and if they can get through an admittedly hideous group, I fancy them for the semis. Definitely worth an e/w bet
  • Options
    edited May 2014

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3841/world-cup-2014/2014/05/10/4807505/prandelli-no-english-players-would-get-into-my-italy-squad

Don't know if that's mind games or him just telling the truth.

But it's not about the players necessarily. The conditions make it anyone's game and with Italy usually starting slowly and being either terrible or potential winners at every tournament I think we can nick the win.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    dizzee said:

But it's not about the players necessarily. The conditions make it anyone's game and with Italy usually starting slowly and being either terrible or potential winners at every tournament I think we can nick the win.
    I actually think Italy are better suited to the conditions in Manaus. The humidity there will sap energy very quickly and if England go charging after the ball in a cavalier manner (looking at Wayne Rooney particularly) then they'll be knackered very quickly. Italy have the players to keep possession of the ball forcing England to come after them which could be disastrous.

That being said, you're right - Italy are known for being slow starters and they've also made the crazy decision to base themselves south of Rio despite all of their games being in the north of the country meaning that by the end of the group stages they will have spent an incredible amount of time travelling - they'll make a round trip of around 3,000 miles for each group game from their base.

• Options
    se9addick said:

dizzee said:

I actually think Italy are better suited to the conditions in Manaus. The humidity there will sap energy very quickly and if England go charging after the ball in a cavalier manner (looking at Wayne Rooney particularly) then they'll be knackered very quickly. Italy have the players to keep possession of the ball forcing England to come after them which could be disastrous.

That being said, you're right - Italy are known for being slow starters and they've also made the crazy decision to base themselves south of Rio despite all of their games being in the north of the country meaning that by the end of the group stages they will have spent an incredible amount of time travelling - they'll make a round trip of around 3,000 miles for each group game from their base.

Good points made.

It's going to be a great watch.

I presume Italy will look something like.

-----------------------Buffon---------------------

-----Bonnucci - De Rossi - Chiellini-------

Abate--------------------------------- Barzagli

------Montolivo - Pirlo - Marchisio---------

--------------Balotelii----Rossi----------------

Reserves:
    Sirigu
    (3rd Choice keeper)
    Criscito
    De Scilio
    Astori
    Verratti
    Motta
    Cerci
    Insigne
    El Shawaary
    Immobile
    Destro

• Options

Couldn't agree more about Chile, they look a very big price at 50-1.They are twice the odds of Colombia & Uruguay and in my view have at least as good a chance.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Roy Hodgson has told Ashley Cole he will not be selected for England World Cup squad. He then rejects chance to be on standby list
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Roy Hodgson has told Ashley Cole he will not be selected for England World Cup squad. He then rejects chance to be on standby list

This true? He shouldn't be picking players who aren't going to be around in two to four years anyway. Good decision. Baines and Shaw have got left back covered for years to come.
  • Options
    Telegraph exclusive, Mail reporting that he's retired from International football altogether.
  • Options

Just been announced on Sky Sports News as well
  • Options
    Good riddance if that's his attitude. Having said that, in his time he was the best left back in the world.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Mirror reporting that Lampard, Barkley, Lallana, Henderson + Milner all in the squad.

Carrick and Cleverly miss out.
  • Options
    There is only a competition for once a month every two years, you have to take the best players available and in a big game I'd want Cole over Shaw at the moment.
  • Options

Mirror reporting that Lampard, Barkley + Milner all in the squad.

Just heard that.

There is only a competition for once a month every two years, you have to take the best players available and in a big game I'd want Cole over Shaw at the moment.

Don't agree with that at all. We should have a squad that will be together for four years and learn each other's games inside out. Look at Spain dropping Raul and others and then going on to win three back to back tournaments with this approach. Not to mention Barcelona at club level and ze Germans in 2006.

What has Lampard done this season to warrant selection?
  • Options
    No Carrick or Cleverly.
  • Options
    Lallana and Henderson are in.
  • Options
    Wilshere, Sterling and The Ox all in.