Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Final away attendances for 13/14

Comments

• Options
    So many clubs are around the 1,200 mark or 50% higher than where Charlton are now. Choices: wait for football or opponents to change; fans or supporters trust run a campaign; club agree it as a priority (?) and do something; do nothing

Getting the average upto 1,200 is not a big ask - is there the appetite to make it happen?
  • Options
    And he's back in the game!
  • Options
    1,617 was the average away following at The Valley compared to 1,054 at the scum

that's a massive difference .... 563 x 23 = 12,949 x guess average price per punter £20 and £258,980 isn't to be sniffed at

still they don't care
  • Options
    edited May 2014

that's a massive difference .... 563 x 23 = 12,949 x guess average price per punter £20 and £258,980 isn't to be sniffed at

still they don't care

What do you want us to do? You can't make it much safer than it already is. Away fans have their own purpose built walkway. If they bother to talk to their fellow fans who did go they'd start to realise it's one of the safest & enjoyable games of the season (even more so for them considering our home record)
  • Options

This is very interesting. It suggests that 'away' fans fancy a game against a team they can beat. Without looking at results and form based on when the matches took place, it dows look like the relegation fodder attract more day trippers than those that offer less chance of a nice day out.
    I guess it also helps that us, Doncaster and Barnsley offer, virtually, an unlimited capacity for away fans.
  • Options

I'd say it suggests fans don't want to be ripped off.

Ipswich, Leeds & Brighton were on the expensive side. Leicester wasn't exactly cheap & Boro & Millwall are shit holes.

I think most people doing a London away game tend to drink around Covent Garden and Borough rather than trying to drink around either of our grounds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DRAddick said:

We have more fans who actually have a life.

This 100%
  • Options

DRAddick said:

We have more fans who actually have a life.

This 100%
    Cringe!
  • Options

still they don't care

What do you want us to do? You can't make it much safer than it already is. Away fans have their own purpose built walkway. If they bother to talk to their fellow fans who did go they'd start to realise it's one of the safest & enjoyable games of the season (even more so for them considering our home record)

A bloke at my work went to the Bournemouth game on the last day of the season, this is his actual account of his day.

"Quite an experience i must say!! Never saw so much fencing, everything laid out to deal with keeping the fans apart.
    Got there quite early and found a pub ''the Forresters'' and sat talking football without mentioning i was an away fan, no problems at all.
    B'mouth didn't really turn up, probably overwhelmed by the atmosphere in the ground, not a place you take your wife, never heard so much swearing and the atmosphere was volatile, everyone seemed angry!
    Easy to get to though, easy to get away from and i was back home in time to see the big race.
    Not sure whether I would go again though, quite intimidating. They gave our right midfielder, (Smith) a torrid time every time he made a tackle, or went to ground and the player was clearly intimidated by them so much, he was subbed at half time!
  • Options

watford significantly ahead of us is poor as a reasonable comparison all factors considered

Except that Watford are more conveniently located for travel up North by road and rail. And good links to London and the West.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

A bloke at my work went to the Bournemouth game on the last day of the season, this is his actual account of his day.

"Quite an experience i must say!! Never saw so much fencing, everything laid out to deal with keeping the fans apart.
    Got there quite early and found a pub ''the Forresters'' and sat talking football without mentioning i was an away fan, no problems at all.
    B'mouth didn't really turn up, probably overwhelmed by the atmosphere in the ground, not a place you take your wife, never heard so much swearing and the atmosphere was volatile, everyone seemed angry!
    Easy to get to though, easy to get away from and i was back home in time to see the big race.
    Not sure whether I would go again though, quite intimidating. They gave our right midfielder, (Smith) a torrid time every time he made a tackle, or went to ground and the player was clearly intimidated by them so much, he was subbed at half time!
    See... no trouble, enjoyed a local pub, easy to get to & from and a cracking atmosphere.

He clearly doesn't know the history with Smith when he played for us & Derby. He was subbed because he started reacting to the crowd, playing up and risking doing damage to his own side after he started to tackle recklessly a risk a sending off.
  • Options

He clearly doesn't know the history with Smith when he played for us & Derby. He was subbed because he started reacting to the crowd, playing up and risking doing damage to his own side after he started to tackle recklessly a risk a sending off.
    Always the victims........
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Why does anyone care whether we are well supported away from home?

Travelling fans generate revenue only for our competitors whilst their presence (or lack thereof) has no impact either way on results.

By way of supporting evidence from this season, our six League away wins took place at Blackburn, Birmingham, Leeds, Forest, Blackpool and Sheff Weds, and in the FA Cup at Oxford, Huddersfield and Sheff Weds. Our away following at these games would surely have been lower than average.

Meanwhile when we showed up in numbers (Millwall, Brighton, Sheff Utd, QPR, Watford, Bournemouth), we failed to register a single win and scored just one goal from open play.

Maybe we should turn up even less?
  • Options

Travelling fans generate revenue only for our competitors whilst their presence (or lack thereof) has no impact either way on results.

By way of supporting evidence from this season, our six League away wins took place at Blackburn, Birmingham, Leeds, Forest, Blackpool and Sheff Weds, and in the FA Cup at Oxford, Huddersfield and Sheff Weds. Our away following at these games would surely have been lower than average.

Meanwhile when we showed up in numbers (Millwall, Brighton, Sheff Utd, QPR, Watford, Bournemouth), we failed to register a single win and scored just one goal from open play.

Really?

Because when you're in conversation around the country in nearly a hundred different towns and grounds it's good to feel that your side is recognised as a club that carries a little weight and has a little history as opposed to being some non entity like MK franchise.
    It's a great deal more enjoyable standing with a load of happy drunks singing songs at the seaside on the last day than it is laid across three seats in the Bolton retail park.

• Options

Wow. You're actually being serious aren't you.
  • Options

Wow. You're actually being serious aren't you.
    Yes, why does it matter?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Well said AUN. You have to weight this with the quality of what each club has served up. Crap home form doesn't inspire away trips. Combine that with a relegation scrap and it's no real surprise.

Yet we took away less than Doncaster and Barnsley

Barnsley put on 10 (TEN) free coaches for the game at the Valley.
  • Options

watford significantly ahead of us is poor as a reasonable comparison all factors considered

Watford is way more accessible than S. East London. You can get to Sheff (for e.g.) in 2.5 hours with a fair wind from Watford, whereas it can take that long to get to Toddington Services from Charlton!!!!
  • Options

Are you American NYA? Genuine question, as I know they don't tend to do the whole "away fans thing", although someone did once tell me that Sox v Yankees can get lively.

Anyway, I have always felt that a small away support is embarrassing. Especially if your average home attendance is on the larger side. BUT, these days it is all so ridiculously expensive - tickets, fuel, beer, food etc. so I'm not being judgemental.
  • Options

Are you American NYA? Genuine question, as I know they don't tend to do the whole "away fans thing", although someone did once tell me that Sox v Yankees can get lively.

Anyway, I have always felt that a small away support is embarrassing. Especially if your average home attendance is on the larger side. BUT, these days it is all so ridiculously expensive - tickets, fuel, beer, food etc. so I'm not being judgemental.
    No I'm British....

I genuinely don't see why it matters and moreover our poor away support is easily explained by location and history (we barely had 6-7,000 home supporters only two decades ago).

Meanwhile the fact that Charlton is a popular ground for away fans to visit (good for us of course, but perhaps giving the impression we are by contrast under-supported) is explained by the high number of London-based fans of all clubs, no meaningful ticket restrictions and the attraction of 'making a weekend of it' in the capital.
  • Options
    Fair enough, but you can't beat an away game with the whole end singing for 90mins IMO. Far better than a home game really. That was the great disappointment this season at Brammall. Great following, but zero atmosphere.
  • Options

I guess it's an intangible impact that cannot be measured, but the size and noise of a support, at home or away, can have small influences on passages of play and results.
  • Options
    I wonder if other fans mention the lack of revenue their club gets when explaining why they don't do away games?! May also explain why we have decent away support in the cup (baring the first two rounds!)

Very strange.
  • Options

Fair enough, but you can't beat an away game with the whole end singing for 90mins IMO. Far better than a home game really. That was the great disappointment this season at Brammall. Great following, but zero atmosphere.

It's been pretty rare than I've been to away games where there has been singing for 90 mins!
  • Options
    edited May 2014

It's been pretty rare than I've been to away games where there has been singing for 90 mins!
    Wigan weren't bad this year after the early goal by SuperMarv and trying to hang on until two late goals past the 'dodgy one' undid us. Long rendition of the 'Chrissy Powells Red & White army' interspersed with chants of 'Gooch' the 'Gooch' plus many other favourites. Great day out apart from the final result.
  • Options

Just my explanation for this:

You are only looking at two thirds of the picture. You are looking at revenue, and you are looking at results. Clear tangible outputs.

What you are not seemingly appreciating is football 'culture and identity'. The belonging, the togetherness, the tribal. The sense of identity, and where you sit in football's differing pecking orders.

That stuff comes from mainly from supporters, not from results, and certainly not from balance sheets.