Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cole quits England

Didn't see that coming. Whatever you think of Cole the person, he has been a terrific England player and servant and I would have taken him to Rio personally. Good luck Luke Shaw.

Comments

• Options
    I would have taken him to one more World Cup, one of the few players, if not the only England player to be truly world class in his postion in the last 20 years IMO.

• Options
    Gone out with class...
  • Options
    yeah would have taken him too. I agree with youth being given experience but feel he deserved to go as back up to Baines. Shaws time will come as Baines isn't getting any younger either and this guy could be our left back for over a decade.
  • Options
    Glad he has gone, he could have been on standy by but he loves England so much he refused!

Shame we are not getting rid of all the other useless players from the 'golden' generation, 2 WC's is enough failure, bring in the youngsters and let them learn now!
  • Options
    Thought he's been pretty classy about it all

Great player, questionable personality
  • Options
    Stood down for the right reasons, IMO. He's had his time in the sun. Luke Shaw is the future in that left back position
  • Options
    It's pretty easy to quit when you've already been sacked.
  • Options
    One could put it another way, he had a hissy fit and quit England after not being picked in the World Cup squad. I don't get the idea that he has been pretty classy about it. He has just realised his time is up.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Good player, 107 caps, always available for selection, consistent performer and probably the only player from the 'golden generation' that actually got any where near his club form.

Not sure why he is getting this stick. If it was Beckham everyone would waxing lyrical.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He wasn't going to play so I agree with taking Shaw instead.
  • Options
    Whatever you think of the man, his performances in an England shirt have been quality. A big game player and one of the few to nullify Ronaldo. Probably still our best left back defensively but Baines is better going forward and agree it makes sense to start introducing Shaw.
  • Options
    I think it's good to take Shaw as England managers usually get pelters for clinging on to the old guard and not giving the younger players enough experience. Still, you can never go wrong with Ashley Cole in your squad. Great player
  • Options
    Very difficult for England to win this World Cup, so it's an ideal time to give the team of the future experience of tournament life, setting them up nicely for the euros.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

One could put it another way, he had a hissy fit and quit England after not being picked in the World Cup squad. I don't get the idea that he has been pretty classy about it. He has just realised his time is up.

There are a hundred ways he could have responded to this situation. To say he's spoken with the manager, agrees with the decision and will be cheering the lads on despite not being there is about the classiest way he could have handled it.

People are quick to knock footballers, particularly this one, but if you're going to do that then at least give credit when it's due.
  • Options
    I hate this international retirement nonsense.

Should always make yourself available for selection.
  • Options
    Bit of an areshole off the pitch but always turned up on it, never feigned injury for lesser England games and always put the effort in. Would be good to have him in Brazil to help some of the youngers.
  • Options
    Only player that consistantly performed at tournaments and never melted, unlike all the others.

Asking a player who has 107 caps to go on stand by list is a total pisstake imo.
  • Options
    personally I still think he should've been first choice at this WC
  • Options
    Best English player for the last 10 years but we need to move on and give the likes of Luke Shaw tournament experience.

Thank you Ashley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The decision of that might backfire...

I really don't care what cole is like as a person, it's not my business nor would I want it to be. He's stayed out the papers for a while now anyway might aswell just forget that stuff.

I understand hodgson taking the "fresh approach", but experience is very important. Luke shaw is only 18 and Cole always raised his game for England in the final tournaments too.

Even if he doesn't start he should have gone. Might not be Chelsea's best left back but certainly a good substitute.
  • Options
    Shame it didnt happen earlier,another over hyped England player! Just a few more left now and then England can finally progress.
  • Options

Only player that consistantly performed at tournaments and never melted, unlike all the others.

Asking a player who has 107 caps to go on stand by list is a total pisstake imo.

I disagree. Sure he has been (pun intended) the best England performer throughout his career BUT it is always a big mistake being sentimental and choosing players past their prime for major tournaments. I give you Peter Shilton and David Seaman as examples.
  • Options

Shame it didnt happen earlier,another over hyped England player! Just a few more left now and then England can finally progress.

I think (in terms of performance not personality) Ashley Cole is just about the only English player of recent times who actually lived up to the hype at all. Been probably our best defender and a strong case for best player at pretty much every tournament he's played in for England so far - relative to those around him anyway.

Think he was right to retire though if he was not even going to be on the stand by list - that's not throwing a strop, that's the manager giving as clear an indication as he can that you are not going to feature in his plans any more - and even without Baines and Shaw making it a strong position for the future Cole is probably going to be retiring from all football by the next world cup anyway.
  • Options
    Well done Cole for getting paid shed loads of money and representing your Country at Football. Personally I would crawl over hot coals to play for England and would never retire myself. To be fair to him he has never let England down, but I don't get the idea that he has been classy.
  • Options
    Think he's behind Baines for me anyway. Shaw probably isnt quite as good as Cole yet but I'd take him instead because we need to look to the future. We'll not be leaving the group stage so better to just get some youth experience. Would take Barkley over Lampard for the same reason
  • Options

This. One of the things I always respected about becks, always kept the door open.

Cashley was a great left back for England, but as his "retirement" and refusal to go on standby betrays he's an utterly rubbish character.
  • Options

Part of the reason I can't stand Shearer. Might have been different if he'd played at the 02 World Cup instead of Heskey.
  • Options

This. One of the things I always respected about becks, always kept the door open.

Cashley was a great left back for England, but as his "retirement" and refusal to go on standby betrays he's an utterly rubbish character.
    He didn't refuse to go on standby, he was told not to - slightly different. He is not even on the shortlist of replacements, that's why he retired.