Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can England win the World Cup ?

Ok, so after months/years of thinking we haven't got a hope in hell & we'll do well to get out the group.

Who, today, can't help, but to have just a little nagging thought, that praps we could win it ?

Guilty :-)

Comments

• Options
    sshhhhhhhh!
  • Options
    Strange things happen in football.

Thats all you need to know.
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    Yes.

We have as likely a chance as what Liverpool had of winning the Premier League at the start of the season. Very unlikely, but if everything comes together at the right time then just maybe.
  • Options
    My bet for this year is that, against all odds, England will win the World Cup. Then just as surely as night follows day, Scotland will vote for independence. Rumour has it, Alex Salmond has already purchased his three lions shirt....

• Options
    Of course they can, but they definitely won't. Will do well to get out of the group.
  • Options
    There's more chance of Katie Price taking a vow of silence (if only!!)
    I'm looking forward to seeing Ross Barkley perform in central midfield and in the Euro qualifiers next season alongside Diego Poyet....
  • Options
    Can they? Yes.

Will they? No.
  • Options
    I have more chance of shagging Scarlett Johansson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We could win it, but we won't.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Following on from recent themes; If we win it I'll get Roy's face tattooed on my arse.

No wimping out with a t-shirt.
  • Options

Talal said:

Following on from recent themes; If we win it I'll get Roy's face tattooed on my arse.

If you were really that confident, you would get Roy's arse tattooed on your face...

I'll get both. How's that for confidence sunshine
  • Options
    Brazil 2014... No... there is more chance of Kasey Palmer making a single First-Team appearance for Chelsea one day.

Reckon we'll either make the Quarter-Finals (Where we'd face Brazil / Spain or the Netherlands most likely) or the Semi-Finals where we'd most likely face Argentina... at the end of the day the conditions will be our downfall (as it will be for all European nations and only see one team outside of South America possibly Spain or Germany) making the Semi-Finals

Roy though has done well picking this Squad and reckon going to France 2016 (Doesnt matter who the England Manager is they'd deserve to be shot if we didnt Qualify what with the increase of teams) and Russia 2018 (where the conditions will be better for the Europeans) you could really see us excel should the squad continue to flourish
  • Options
    England to win the World Cup? And Charlton will have a blinding home record next season and take thousands away every other week...
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Brazil 2014... No... there is more chance of Kasey Palmer making a single First-Team appearance for Chelsea one day.

Reckon we'll either make the Quarter-Finals (Where we'd face Brazil / Spain or the Netherlands most likely) or the Semi-Finals where we'd most likely face Argentina... at the end of the day the conditions will be our downfall (as it will be for all European nations and only see one team outside of South America possibly Spain or Germany) making the Semi-Finals

Roy though has done well picking this Squad and reckon going to France 2016 (Doesnt matter who the England Manager is they'd deserve to be shot if we didnt Qualify what with the increase of teams) and Russia 2018 (where the conditions will be better for the Europeans) you could really see us excel should the squad continue to flourish

Nothing like hedging your bets...

I don't much disagree with what you say though!
  • Options

cafctom said:

Yes.

We have as likely a chance as what Liverpool had of winning the Premier League at the start of the season. Very unlikely, but if everything comes together at the right time then just maybe.

you do realise that man city won the premier league don't you?
    Hence why I said "Just maybe" :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Nothing like hedging your bets...

I don't much disagree with what you say though!
    Really cant work out how far we'll get...

I think with the Youngsters and our tough Group I'd be happy to see us reach the knockout phase but when you look at our opponents from Group C (Colombia.. Greece.. Ivory Coast.. Japan) I could see us reaching the Quarters at least, of course in that round we'd most likely face one of Brazil.. Spain or the Netherlands and although they're tough opponents I reckon if we put in a good defensive performance like when we lost to Italy in Euro 2012 I reckon we could reach the Semis (If we're lucky)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Highly unlikely.

Would have to hope the top sides knock each other out and then get massively lucky in our games.

Chelsea Champions League 2012 comes to mind.

I think there are just too many better teams than us to have a realistic chance.

Getting into the last 16 would be a good result.
  • Options
    no
  • Options

Can they? Yes.

Will they? No.

Exactly. Same for any similarly very unlikely happening.
  • Options
    It could rain frogs on Shooters Hill slopes tomorrow and I'm willing to have a frog tattooed on my arse if it does.
  • Options
    If they can get through the group (very big if) and get a kind next game - they could make the quarters. I think that would be the very best we can hope for as no way they will beat the very top teams IMO.
  • Options

Agreed. I see people talking about the lack of caps/experience of this squad and they will find it difficult to get past group stage etc. Watching Prem League games and MOTD every week, I honestly think you have got a great number of young talents. 2014 may not be their year but France 2016 and Russia 2018 will indeed be the best times for them.

Many say the Prem League is the best league in the world. I don't particularly feel that way when I watch a game between teams like Fulham, WBA etc. (sorry, no disrespect to them and I know Charlton aren't better than them at the moment lol) But this past season I've been really impressed by the performances of Liverpool, Everton and Southampton, all having quite many English/British players in their teams. I've been a fan of English football ever since I became interested in this sport so naturally I always hope to see your country do well at international level. (Chinese football has been poor for years and I've lost faith in our national team since a long time ago...)

So best of luck to you. Don't feel too down IF your team fails to flourish this time. Your younger players will gain the experience they need and hopefully improve in the next two years.
  • Options
    Greece won the European Championship

Never say never
  • Options
    Are there better teams at the finals than England?
    Were there better England teams in the last 40 odd years?
    Would any of our players walk into the the top 5 bookies favs?
    Are any of the red tops hyping us up?

We are a team that is there to make up the numbers, so for me the anwer is no.