Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can England win the World Cup ?

Comments

• Options
    get through the (tough) group and then who knows....in a one-off game.

highly unlikely I know and I suspect we'll make the quarter finals but come out of the tournament with alot of credit of the way we played.
  • Options
    We have no World class players.
  • Options
    Getting out of the Group would be a huge achievement. We should just take that as a 'win'.........however, if Hodgson can get the team working as a team - seldom achieved at major tournaments - then, who knows
  • Options
    Absolutely no bloody chance, name more than one player in our squad that could play club football for Barcelona/Madrid etc.
  • Options
    Greece won the Euro's which is a fair point, but how many other freak tournament winners have we seen on the biggest stage? Also, this isn't the Euro's, its the WC, and it's in South America with conditions that will not suit England. If they make it out of the Group Stage they've done well.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Absolutely no bloody chance, name more than one player in our squad that could play club football for Barcelona/Madrid etc.

not sure what that's got to do with it?, name one of the Greek side who won the Euro's who could've played for them
    This.

These tournaments anything can happen. France lost to Senegal, Italy lost to South Korea, Croatia and Turkey have gone far recently.

A bit of luck and an organised team, who knows. Im not expecting a lot but you can never write off a half decent side, especially in a knockout style tournament.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Greece won the Euro's which is a fair point, but how many other freak tournament winners have we seen on the biggest stage? Also, this isn't the Euro's, its the WC, and it's in South America with conditions that will not suit England. If they make it out of the Group Stage they've done well.

Turkey come 3rd in Japan & South Korea. Only missing out on a final appearance by losing 1-0 to Brazil.

Like i said, I'm not expecting a lot but people saying 'we won't get out the group' are being a bit hasty.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Think everyone forgets Denmark winning the Euros in 1992 (When they didnt even expect to be there)... thats got to be a bigger win than what Greece managed... You've then also got to remember the United States at albeit the 2011 Confederations Cup when they almost beat Brazil in the Final.

I agree with your comments though about South America... I dont think the conditions will suit any team from Europe

Yet at the end of the day this is Football we're talking about, if it was such a predictable sport then I'm sure myself and countless others would be millionaires with countless accumulator wins... Its eleven men against eleven and anything can happen all thats required is for England to have a good (even lucky) match and for the opposition to have a bad (or unlucky) match which can then breed confidence into the side

Turkey come 3rd in Japan & South Korea. Only missing out on a final appearance by losing 1-0 to Brazil..
    Think that Japan / South Korea tournament is a brilliant example... Hell you've only got to look @ South Korea who finished 4th

Even in the heat of the United States (which I remember being a problem partly because players didnt have the conditioning back then) Sweden beat Bulgaria for 3rd
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All these people refering to miracles tells us how much chance we have.
  • Options
    Can see Germany being the top European side, their squad is quality and possibly only the conditions could stop them
  • Options
    No chance at all, not even close to being good enough either individually or collectively.

We have a collection of honest pros, some good young talent but no genuine world class players at all.

And before anyone says it, no, Wayne Rooney is not world class.

True, you could always use Greece or Denmark as examples but they won 16-team. European finals, not 32-team World Cups where the Brazilians, Argies and Uruguyans were all about.
  • Options
    I think we can all agree we hope England do well and play their best, we can ask no more. Only one team ever wins, there are 31 failures, not counting the nations that didn't even make the finals.

If we are "there to make up the numbers" so are about 26 other teams, so hey... why bother?

We bother, and are bothered because we love football and we will be willing our team on to win. In the past we have had better players and their underachievement has disappointed us, this time the expectation is much lower.

As Charlton fans we know that most of the time it's about suffering, and the odd glimpse of success keeps us going. Lets enjoy the world cup - why the England haters can enjoy it even more, because they don't even care how we get on, do they?

I'm off to practice me samba...

:-D
  • Options

Greenie said:

not sure what that's got to do with it?, name one of the Greek side who won the Euro's who could've played for them
    Er...because our English players are not good enough! Just because the Greeks fluked the Euros don't mean we will, but if you want to cling onto that, go for it!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Er...because our English players are not good enough! Just because the Greeks fluked the Euros don't mean we will, but if you want to cling onto that, go for it!
    But thats not the point. Individually we are behind a lot of nations, but collectively, in a knockout tournament we can be very hard to beat. There would be a completely different outlook if we had won our last 3 or 4 penalty shootouts. Yes, if me aunty had bollocks….but sometimes in these tournaments the margins are fine and thats enough for me to not completely write us off.
  • Options
    South Korea finished 4th thanks to a series of real dodgy referring decisions.

Greece won it playing rank defensive football and got out the group on goals scored.

Denmark failed to qualify because they had probably the most talented European team of the time in their group. Schemeical, B Laudrup and Polvsen were quality players at the time.

Just offering a counter view.

Id class an England win as a bigger shock than any of the above. Id like to see us win but I think we will get 1 point with a draw against Costa Rica. I dont think that would mean Woy is a failure though and would like to see him given until 2016 no matter the outcome in Brazil.
  • Options
    but I just didn't get the reference to 'naming one player that could play for Barca/Madrid' ???.

I'm not saying we're gonna win it, but I do think we'll get through our group and might surprise a few people
  • Options
    Dont think we will win it, think Quarters will be our limit. I just hope we dont resort to playing Gerrard and Lampard in the middle and Milner on the right.
  • Options
    Never say never, but not this time sadly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    we'll do better than expected (quarters/semis) but just enough and will be playing well enough for the press to start dreaming of making the final, only for us to freeze up and get smashed by the germans or the argies.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

But thats not the point. Individually we are behind a lot of nations, but collectively, in a knockout tournament we can be very hard to beat. There would be a completely different outlook if we had won our last 3 or 4 penalty shootouts. Yes, if me aunty had bollocks….but sometimes in these tournaments the margins are fine and thats enough for me to not completely write us off.
    Indeed. I think we're in better shape than we were 2 years ago and we were a hairs breadth from a European Championship final.

I think we'll lose in the quarter final.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

I think you're clinging to hope VG, reality is vey different.
    My heart says yes we can win it, because I want us to win it. My head says its like Rochdale winning the FA cup, it aint never gonna happen, that is the reality. Sadly.
  • Options
    I'll state here & now, if we win, I'll get roy hodgson tattooed on my arris (and unlike someone I could mention, I won't bottle out)....................
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

My heart says yes we can win it, because I want us to win it. My head says its like Rochdale winning the FA cup, it aint never gonna happen, that is the reality. Sadly.
    Of course its hope mate, but other teams have far exceeded their expectations at a major tournament, why not us.
  • Options
    Can, yes. But won't. Despite the amount of young players selected by Hodgson, I'll be amazed if he starts with many of them (I hope he does, as we'd be better for it). It'll be the same old negative football. We need to stop being afraid to attack and press teams and take the initiative. A draw with Italy will be a miracle, Uruguay score goals but they concede a hell of a lot to, so this is our best chance of a win from the first two games. Anything other than a win against Costa Rica is embarrassing.
  • Options
    Easier said than done but two nil nils with Uruguay and Italy followed by a comfortable victory over Costa Rica would likely see us through.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Of course its hope mate, but other teams have far exceeded their expectations at a major tournament, why not us.
    Fair point. I tell you what if we win it I'll get Junior to have Roy Hodgson tattooed on his arris. ;o)
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2014
    The players should have belief that England can win every game. Everyone else pretending that they have a cat in hells chance probably doesn't help them. The players knowing that if they go for it and do their best and the supporters / media won't criticise the hell out of them for falling short may encourage them to play without fear. The hype is not helpful.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Easier said than done but two nil nils with Uruguay and Italy followed by a comfortable victory over Costa Rica would likely see us through.

Keeping clean sheets could be the problem though against the quality of the opposition forwards and Johnson fills me with dread at right back which makes Milner an almost cert to start in front of him to provide adequate support.