Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gym etiquette

Comments

• Options

Curb_It said:

I've had to google snapback. Never heard of it.

same here. God I feel old.
    WTF? Why would you wear a hat in the gym?
  • Options

I'm too busy pushing my body beyond the normal levels of human endurance, going through levels of pain that would make ordinary mortals curl up into a ball, while fending off admiring women who only joined the gym to lust after my body, to talk to blokes...

You'll get hairs in the palms of your hands doing that!
  • Options
    You could have posted an image to save the rest of us having to google it as well :-)image
  • Options
    Just started at the gym in Bexleyheath with big windows that you can see right into, it's quite good in there although always busy.

Don't think you should ever be worried what people think of you in there, you're all there for the same reason, physical improvement
  • Options
    Wouldn't worry GJ, from what i can work out most of the users in there are Spurs fans and freaks.....

:-)
  • Options

Wouldn't worry GJ, from what i can work out most of the users in there are Spurs fans and freaks.....

Oi, you cheeky git lol
  • Options

I miss the gym.

I'm at that stage where i'm below the necessary minimum of fitness to even consider making a fool of myself in the gym

Mate, if I can drag my fat arse down to the sidcup gym a couple of times a week, you certainly can!
  • Options
    I was once alone in the sauna of a gym in Russell Square when a new member came in, sat next to me and uttered the legendary line: 'Hi, I'm Jim. I'm from San Francisco.'
  • Options

Unnecessary use of the word 'and' there.

• Options
    Had a fair few odd experiences at the gym. One guy used to kiss his biceps every time he did a curl. A guy a uni used to come in with his top on and then strip it off to workout. Another guy used to take his top off after EVERY set and check out his abs. The people that talk to themselves in the mirror... Oh and the old dude who decided to very publicly talc his balls in the changing room. The guy that used to dance on the treadmill was a personal fave.

Is it always the men that are mental?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone who tries to talk to someone at a gym without knowing them is invariably an utter penis. It's always the same shit as well - telling you what programme they're on, what their one rep max on the bench is or - worst of all - advice about your form.

It's the same when you go out on the bike on an organised ride - there's always one bloke who thinks he's squadron leader cos he goes past you on the first climb with a 'tuck in behind me fellas, this is the pace I'm going with'. I often wonder how much of a pilchard he feels when those same people smash past him five miles later never to be seen again...

Why would you offer advice to people you don't know from Adam? If you went up to a random bloke in the pub and coated him off for what he was drinking, or his pint-raising technique, surely you'd expect to get levelled?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    And talking of saunas (well I seem to be the only one talking about saunas; I don't know what that makes me), so there I was all alone in another sauna, when this fella walks in, walks out again, then comes back with something in a carrier bag. 'What's that?' I thought, then, before I had a chance to leg it, I realised he'd filled the carrier bag with water and proceeded to dump the lot onto the coals. Jesus. Almost steamed my bloody face off.
  • Options

hawksmoor said:

I was once alone in the sauna of a gym in Russell Square when a new member came in, sat next to me and uttered the legendary line: 'Hi, I'm Jim. I'm from San Francisco.'

You should have replied "Hi, I'm animal, I'm on day relase from Broadmoor after serving 10 of a 15 stretch for man on man rape"
    Surely that would be a red rag to a bull!
  • Options
    On a slightly different note, is it EVER permissible to speak about the game immediately after the final whistle when standing in the gents waiting in line to have a pee? After the extraordinary game against Cardiff, on a cold night, I, like many others, went to the loo. From mayhem in sight of the pitch, it was as quiet as a monastery while we waited to take our turn to piddle. You just don't........
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Just started at the gym in Bexleyheath with big windows that you can see right into, it's quite good in there although always busy.

Don't think you should ever be worried what people think of you in there, you're all there for the same reason, physical improvement

This 100%...

I know some are uncomfortable working out in front of others, but to be honest, everyone has to start somewhere.

Meatheads didn't wake up one morning like it. They persevere and don't give two hoots what people think of them.
  • Options

Anyone who tries to talk to someone at a gym without knowing them is invariably an utter penis. It's always the same shit as well - telling you what programme they're on, what their one rep max on the bench is or - worst of all - advice about your form.

It's the same when you go out on the bike on an organised ride - there's always one bloke who thinks he's squadron leader cos he goes past you on the first climb with a 'tuck in behind me fellas, this is the pace I'm going with'. I often wonder how much of a pilchard he feels when those same people smash past him five miles later never to be seen again...

Why would you offer advice to people you don't know from Adam? If you went up to a random bloke in the pub and coated him off for what he was drinking, or his pint-raising technique, surely you'd expect to get levelled?

I disagree, bad form in a gym dosent just mean you could be doing it better, its a serious health risk. Keeping your back straight etc. really does prevent injuries and if i see someone who may be inducing onto themselves a unnecessarily high risk of injury i will give them advice even if it makes me an 'utter penis'.

• Options
    edited May 2014

I disagree, bad form in a gym dosent just mean you could be doing it better, its a serious health risk. Keeping your back straight etc. really does prevent injuries and if i see someone who may be inducing onto themselves a unnecessarily high risk of injury i will give them advice even if it makes me an 'utter penis'.

I disagree but for another reason.

You are such a sour puss Leroy!!! :) I do get what you are saying but I talk to people all the time in public places. The gym has its own rules..sure.

Amount of times Ive gone on my own and got a spot. Does that make me a penis? Big or small? Anabolic? No just the penis

Its life. Enjoy it. Someone makes eye contact with you, smile! Something makes repeated unsolicited eye contact with you...knock em out

Ive meet fellas in gyms and actually found myself doing a schedule with them and u go at the same time. INNUENDO alert, behave because that misses my point.

Alright it does help that I am spartacus
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:

I knocked the gym I was using previously on the head because the times I was going in and coming back into the changing rooms coincided with a massive bloke of turkish descent drying his hairy carcass stark bollock naked in the mirror with a hairdryer. He would pay special attention to his balls and balloon knot too. Lifting legs up and whatever other contortions where required for the act.

Decided I wasn't that fussed about cardio but I couldn't go to the gym and get in my motor all sweated up to avoid this dudes routine. So jacked it in

I wondered how Mehmet was.
  • Options

On a slightly different note, is it EVER permissible to speak about the game immediately after the final whistle when standing in the gents waiting in line to have a pee? After the extraordinary game against Cardiff, on a cold night, I, like many others, went to the loo. From mayhem in sight of the pitch, it was as quiet as a monastery while we waited to take our turn to piddle. You just don't........

NO! Not ever. There's a helluva lot of concentration required for this in a busy toilet, and there's nothing worse than holding in four pints during the game, only to get to the urinal and nothing happens!

We've all been there.
  • Options

asking for a light I think is permissible.
  • Options

NO! Not ever. There's a helluva lot of concentration required for this in a busy toilet, and there's nothing worse than holding in four pints during the game, only to get to the urinal and nothing happens!

We've all been there.
    I thought the total concentration was the collective minds of the East Stand regulars willing the hand dryers to work
  • Options

Think its a bit different for me.

My best mate runs this Gym (as I've probably mentioned a few times before) and its the only time I get to see him for a catch up. Through that, I know all the other staff and a lot of the other members by name too. It seems to be the case I have stop my workout at some point to chat to someone as I'm always being asked how I am, how my marathon was and when my next one is, how they can join my running club, how sh*t Spurs are...

Since the recent extension was built on the front, the Gym has become a lot busier in the evenings, sadly.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I tend to swear when the PT makes my push a huge weight (after not before), must make up some non sweary words for that...
  • Options
    edited May 2014

I miss the gym.

I'm at that stage where i'm below the necessary minimum of fitness to even consider making a fool of myself in the gym

Mate, if I can drag my fat arse down to the sidcup gym a couple of times a week, you certainly can!</</b>blockquote>

I think she prefers to be called 'the missus'
  • Options
    Talk to a stranger down the gym?
    My best mates get a barely perceptable nod of the head to acknowledge their birthdays let alone conversing with gym bod.
  • Options

Skinny jeans at the gym! Where is this?!

I'd hazard a guess at either Brighton or San Francisco
    Carter said:

I knocked the gym I was using previously on the head because the times I was going in and coming back into the changing rooms coincided with a massive bloke of turkish descent drying his hairy carcass stark bollock naked in the mirror with a hairdryer. He would pay special attention to his balls and balloon knot too. Lifting legs up and whatever other contortions where required for the act.

Decided I wasn't that fussed about cardio but I couldn't go to the gym and get in my motor all sweated up to avoid this dudes routine. So jacked it in

Bit too much detail there
  • Options
    I have recently joined a gym and feel quite happy in my wrestling Lycra attire.
    However, I have had a few funny comments after lifting various weights and screaming at the machine, easy, easy, easy whilst clapping my hands in front of me.
    Is this not acceptable etiquette in the sports arena?