Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gym etiquette

13»

Comments

• Options

Talking to another (unknown) man in a gym? Red card offence. I'm away with work this week and some bloke tried to strike up a conversation in the hotel swimming pool yesterday evening. Probably completely innocent but my first thoughts were he's either a weirdo or a murderer. He can't have been on the pull as he'd already seen me in my swimming shorts!

Just bumped into him again in the changing rooms. Got the "oh, hello again" line.

Maybe he's a chubby chaser
  • Options

Talking to another (unknown) man in a gym? Red card offence. I'm away with work this week and some bloke tried to strike up a conversation in the hotel swimming pool yesterday evening. Probably completely innocent but my first thoughts were he's either a weirdo or a murderer. He can't have been on the pull as he'd already seen me in my swimming shorts!

Just bumped into him again in the changing rooms. Got the "oh, hello again" line.

Maybe he's a chubby chaser
    "Alwight" ?
  • Options

Anyone who tries to talk to someone at a gym without knowing them is invariably an utter penis. It's always the same shit as well - telling you what programme they're on, what their one rep max on the bench is or - worst of all - advice about your form.

It's the same when you go out on the bike on an organised ride - there's always one bloke who thinks he's squadron leader cos he goes past you on the first climb with a 'tuck in behind me fellas, this is the pace I'm going with'. I often wonder how much of a pilchard he feels when those same people smash past him five miles later never to be seen again...

Why would you offer advice to people you don't know from Adam? If you went up to a random bloke in the pub and coated him off for what he was drinking, or his pint-raising technique, surely you'd expect to get levelled?

I disagree, bad form in a gym dosent just mean you could be doing it better, its a serious health risk. Keeping your back straight etc. really does prevent injuries and if i see someone who may be inducing onto themselves a unnecessarily high risk of injury i will give them advice even if it makes me an 'utter penis'.

I disagree but for another reason.

You are such a sour puss Leroy!!! :) I do get what you are saying but I talk to people all the time in public places. The gym has its own rules..sure.

Amount of times Ive gone on my own and got a spot. Does that make me a penis? Big or small? Anabolic? No just the penis

Its life. Enjoy it. Someone makes eye contact with you, smile! Something makes repeated unsolicited eye contact with you...knock em out

Ive meet fellas in gyms and actually found myself doing a schedule with them and u go at the same time. INNUENDO alert, behave because that misses my point.

Alright it does help that I am spartacus
    A spot, yeah

Telling you how they're the next coming of Charles Atlas, no.
  • Options
    Refusing to talk to people in the pub is unsociable. Doing it in the gym is normal. I don't particularly like the gym but I care about health and fitness so as others have said I get in, put my headphones on and get on with it without interruption. A certain breed of people definitely treat it like a social club though.

I agree some people do dress strangely as well. I seem to notice something different every week. The lastest is long white songs pulled up as high and tight as possible. Looks ridiculous.
  • Options
    Does anyone use that Pure Gym on the Greenwich High Road?
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Does anyone use that Pure Gym on the Greenwich High Road?

I do. Best gym I know in terms of equipment and variety. Its absolutely huge. The weights area does get busy though.

Its open 24 hours a day and is quite cheap (25 quid a month). Would definitely recommend it.
  • Options
    Yeah I've just joined up, pretty impressed but it is v.busy ;)
  • Options
    Is there a sauna etiquette?

Half the time you can't see whose in there anyway.
  • Options

Is there a sauna etiquette?

Half the time you can't see whose in there anyway.

yes dont get a lob on

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    DMCDMC
    edited June 2014
    seriously, some of you are wimps. Get to know the personnel trainers and (Depending on who your talking too)you can talk about nutrition or what protein they take, they'll be talking for hours!

and honestly "too unfit to go to the gym" is a load of tosh. We all have to start somewhere, thats how you gain respect. It may feel a bit uncomfortable at first, but fitness will come quick if you put effort in and exercise often! (yes I know, those awful E words!)

In short, man the **** up!

Although, if they are wearing snapbacks, your right to just ignore those muppets!
  • Options
    Joined a new one and been going a few days now.

Girl on the treadmill by me today is walking whilst talking on her phone. In the time it takes me to run 8k (slowly as always) she has not stopped gabbing. Could hear her over my own headphones.

Made me think of this.

http://youtu.be/n2ZSeqfe_aU
  • Options

I always wear cycling shorts under my main shorts when I go to the gym. Just so my unit doesn't hang out the bottom like.

I wear jeans under my cycling shorts for the same reason.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Girl on the treadmill by me today is walking whilst talking on her phone. In the time it takes me to run 8k (slowly as always) she has not stopped gabbing. Could hear her over my own headphones.

Made me think of this.

I was in the gym on Friday and there was a girl sitting on the leg curl, reading a kindle. She had it on the lowest resistance and was on it for ages just idly moving her legs.
  • Options

buckshee said:

Made me think of this.

I was in the gym on Friday and there was a girl sitting on the leg curl, reading a kindle. She had it on the lowest resistance and was on it for ages just idly moving her legs.
    This phone girl had a little sprint before the phone call but after she got off the treadmill the convo continued as she got her stuff together and as I left she was stood outside now texting.

Seriously what's the bloody point in going?

My biggest pet hate in the gym is noise pollution , part of the reason I go is to get away from the kids noise pollution.