Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top Five Live Music Performances

13»

Comments

• Options
    Genesis, Theatre Royal Drury Lane,
    Rolling Stones, Empire Pool Wembley,
    Stackridge, New Years Eve gig at The Marquee Club
    10cc Hammersmith Odeon
    Free, Royal Albert Hall (farewell gig)

All between 1972 and 1974.

Much preferred smaller venues (still do) especially the Marquee in Wardour Street. Sadly managed to miss so many future star names there (Queen, Genesis, Yes, Status Quo to name but a few) though I think I saw Judas Priest as a support band to Wild Turkey once!
  • Options
    Radiohead, Cardiff International Arena
    Deep Purple, Margate Dreamland Ballroom
    Ian Dury & The Blockheads, Lewisham Odeon
    Ramones, Rainbow Finsbury Park
    Blur, Cardiff International Arena

These days go to small venue gigs, which I much prefer nowadays.
  • Options
    Syvian/Fripp Hammersmith. 1993

Stranglers. Folkestone. 1987

Squeeze. Newcastle Poly 1990

Offspring. Barcelona. 1997

Ultravox. Hammersmith. 1984 - my first gig
  • Options

U2 on Joshua Tree tour 1987, 2 nights supported by Spear of Destiny, World Party, The Pretenders, Lone Justice, The Pogues and Lou Reed.

My memory is going, but I think the support on the tour gig I went to (birmingham NEC) was the hoodoo gurus. Whatever happened to them?

• Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Pink Floyd - Earls Court 1980

Status Quo - Lewisham Odeon 1977

The Who - The Valley 1976

Genesis - Wembley Arena 1980

Squeeze - Town & Country Club 1989

These are all a good shout. Locally I would add Bowie at Lewisham Odeon and Status Quo at Goldsmiths College. One from left field: The Sensational Alex Harvey Band somewhere in Croydon back in the day when I didn't know where I was half the time....
  • Options
    Janes Addiction Barrowlands about 88
    Manics/pogues Clapham Grand about 95
    Nine inch Nails Astoria around 91' hateful band, but great gig
    Metallica/anthrax Edinburgh playhouse about 84
    Beastie Boys - Barrowlands 1986. The boys challenged Glasgow to a fight, did not go well
  • Options

Status Quo at Goldsmiths College.

You've reminded me of some great gigs at goldies.

Lloyd Cole and the commotions, and Slade (an xmas ball) were great

• Options

Tutt-Tutt said:

Pink Floyd - Earls Court 1980

Status Quo - Lewisham Odeon 1977

The Who - The Valley 1976

Genesis - Wembley Arena 1980

Squeeze - Town & Country Club 1989

These are all a good shout. Locally I would add Bowie at Lewisham Odeon and Status Quo at Goldsmiths College. One from left field: The Sensational Alex Harvey Band somewhere in Croydon back in the day when I didn't know where I was half the time....
    Maybe the Fairfield - I saw them there around 74 or 75.

• Options

10cc Hammersmith Odeon

Much preferred smaller venues (still do) especially the Marquee in Wardour Street. Sadly managed to miss so many future star names there (Queen, Genesis, Yes, Status Quo to name but a few) though I think I saw Judas Priest as a support band to Wild Turkey once!

Great stuff, Bangkok - I used to enjoy gigs at the Marquee, a black-painted cave in Wardour Street crammed with 500 standing punters and sweat dripping down the walls. Saw U2 there in July 1980, when they were starting out - but much preferred Camel and Caravan!

• Options

10cc Hammersmith Odeon

I saw Camel there as well. A confusing band as there were two Camels at the time,
    Great stuff, Bangkok - I used to enjoy gigs at the Marquee, a black-painted cave in Wardour Street crammed with 500 standing punters and sweat dripping down the walls. Saw U2 there in July 1980, when they were starting out - but much preferred Camel and Caravan!

I saw Camel there as well. First band I saw there was Nazareth. After that I was an almost weekly visitor. Great music and generally dirt cheap. Have a look at this link for some real Marquee nostalgia and see who you might have seen.
    http://www.themarqueeclub.net/calendar
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

10cc Hammersmith Odeon

I saw Camel there as well. A confusing band as there were two Camels at the time,

I saw Camel there as well. First band I saw there was Nazareth. After that I was an almost weekly visitor. Great music and generally dirt cheap. Have a look at this link for some real Marquee nostalgia and see who you might have seen.
    http://www.themarqueeclub.net/calendar
    Thanks for the fascinating link. I've seen much of the Calendar of Gigs in an excellent book, 'London Live' by Tony Bacon, and will enjoy the rest of the Marquee website this evening. I played there a couple of times myself, drummer in Dogwatch (no, you won't have heard of us!), Saturday nights in the late 1970s. Fantastic.

• Options
    edited May 2014

10cc Hammersmith Odeon

I worked behind the bar at the Marquee in the summer if '77 so I got to see quite a lot of bands. Most we're instantly forgettable but X-Ray Spex (silly but good fun) and The Heavy Metal Kids (poor) stick in the memory.

As for sweat dripping down the walls, at The Ramones at the Electric Ballroom, the sweat was raining down from the ceiling.
  • Options
    David Bowie - Hammersmith Odeon 2nd July 1973
    The night before the famous Ziggy retirement gig. This gig was also filmed by Pennebaker who combined the footage from booth gigs for his film.
    Genesis - Drury Lane Jan 1974
    Concert previewing 'Selling England by the Pound'. They played Suppers Ready - marvellous. Infamous for being the first time that Phil Collins took lead vocals on a song called 'More Fool Me' (this was the period when Peter Gabriel was lead singer.) I recall Collins looked self conscious and awkward in a blue boiler suit (maybe my memory plays tricks?)
    Lou Reed - New Victoria Theatre - April 1977
    I shall never forget this gig (BTW I was at the valley for Lou and have seen him in total six times but this was the best) because of the opening song, Sweet Jane. The version played was the extended guitar instrumental introduction version (which is on the Rock'n'Roll Animal live album). Two guitarists appeared on stage in front of the curtain and started on the 'intro'. Everyone was a little concerned because Lou was much more hip that this - what the hell was going on??? Suddenly after seven or eight minutes of heavy guitar solo stuff the curtain slides open and the familiar very loud bass riff starts - everyone went absolutely apeshit.
    The Clash - Lyceum - Dec 1978
    Stunning concert. Energy and ferocity was incredible - breathtaking concert.
    Bruce Springsteen - Wembley Empire Pool - May/June 1981
    The River tour (before Born in the Bloody USA was even released.) Went on two nights (he played six consecutive nights) but can't remember which ones (might have tickets in loft?) Astounded by the quality, effort and integrity of his set. People who think he's just a flag waving Yankee boy are really missing out - he's one of the best songwriters around.

It was difficult to narrow it down to 5 but I managed it.

Interested to hear reminisces about The Marquee in Wardour Street. I was a regular. My cousin's boyfriend (Ian Flemming) was one of the two regular DJs and I was invariably on the guest list. I'd often do his set while he went of 'ligging' with someone or other. The decks were in a tiny booth, accessed from the rear of the bar next to the bands changing room. The booth would have been on the left hand side up the front as you faced the stage. I was very lucky to have seen hundreds of bands there. I also remember the Manager, a German by the name of Ouli and one of the then owners (a bit of a nonce) named Jack. Couldn't get a ticket for the 1980 Floor Show at the Marquee with Bowie in October 1973 but my cousin and Ian were there and I was absolutely jealous. I probably went there often from 1973-1980.

Does this trigger any Marquee memories with you Guys??

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Sensei said:

Interested to hear reminisces about The Marquee in Wardour Street. I was a regular. My cousin's boyfriend (Ian Flemming) was one of the two regular DJs and I was invariably on the guest list. I'd often do his set while he went of 'ligging' with someone or other. The decks were in a tiny booth, accessed from the rear of the bar next to the bands changing room. The booth would have been on the left hand side up the front as you faced the stage. I was very lucky to have seen hundreds of bands there. I also remember the Manager, a German by the name of Ouli and one of the then owners (a bit of a nonce) named Jack. Couldn't get a ticket for the 1980 Floor Show at the Marquee with Bowie in October 1973 but my cousin and Ian were there and I was absolutely jealous. I probably went there often from 1973-1980.

Other than Ian Fleming, regular DJs working from that tiny booth at the Marquee in the 1970s were Jerry Floyd and Andy Dunkley. As a punter, one of the thrills of being close to the stage at the Marquee and other small venues was hearing the instruments through the backline, rather than through the PA. There was no house PA system at the Marquee; bands used their own. Even when bass bins were commonplace in the early 1970s, Caravan were still using Wem columns, which weren't really powerful enough.

The place to lig before the show wasn't the Marquee bar, nor the Intrepid Fox, over the road. It was the Ship - a Fuller's pub, and still thriving - a little way north along Wardour Street: many of the bands themselves drank there. The building housing the Marquee has been converted to loft apartments, and there's a blue plaque on the façade proclaiming that Keith Moon drummed here.

Remember the fascinating link supplied by Bangkokaddick above - www.themarqueeclub.net

• Options
    Thanks Viewfinder. You are absolutely correct. I remember Jerry Floyd in all honesty he was probably the senior DJ who got most of the good gigs. I certainly also remember Andy Dunkley but I don't think he was as regular? Jerry might play 3-4 nights a week and Ian would play 2-3. By the way Ian celebrated his 60th Birthday in Edinburgh last December. I was invited to attend a party to celebrate but had to withdraw as my Mum passed away shortly before. Ian's theme (the first tune played each session) was 'Free Four' by Pink Floyd - do you recall? Ian would play this, say something brief but profound and then leave me in the booth to play the remainder of the set. I am three years younger than Ian which is irrelevant now but was a world away in those heady days. One abiding memory of Ian is his continual introduction of Ultravox (John Foxx days) as Ultrapox. They didn't like it and used to get a little upset but Ian would smile and deny everything. Very funny - particularly as they were regulars in the laste1970's.
    Thanks for providing the link to the Marquee memorabilia site - very interesting. I'll pass this on to Ian and try and persuade him to contribute.
    I must also apologise for earlier suggesting that I attended from 1973 onwards. Having thought about it this is incorrect - I probably started in 1974-1975 but can't be certain of the exact time.
  • Options
    Sensei said:

David Bowie - Hammersmith Odeon 2nd July 1973
    The night before the famous Ziggy retirement gig. This gig was also filmed by Pennebaker who combined the footage from booth gigs for his film.
    Genesis - Drury Lane Jan 1974
    Concert previewing 'Selling England by the Pound'. They played Suppers Ready - marvellous. Infamous for being the first time that Phil Collins took lead vocals on a song called 'More Fool Me' (this was the period when Peter Gabriel was lead singer.) I recall Collins looked self conscious and awkward in a blue boiler suit (maybe my memory plays tricks?)
    Lou Reed - New Victoria Theatre - April 1977
    I shall never forget this gig (BTW I was at the valley for Lou and have seen him in total six times but this was the best) because of the opening song, Sweet Jane. The version played was the extended guitar instrumental introduction version (which is on the Rock'n'Roll Animal live album). Two guitarists appeared on stage in front of the curtain and started on the 'intro'. Everyone was a little concerned because Lou was much more hip that this - what the hell was going on??? Suddenly after seven or eight minutes of heavy guitar solo stuff the curtain slides open and the familiar very loud bass riff starts - everyone went absolutely apeshit.
    The Clash - Lyceum - Dec 1978
    Stunning concert. Energy and ferocity was incredible - breathtaking concert.
    Bruce Springsteen - Wembley Empire Pool - May/June 1981
    The River tour (before Born in the Bloody USA was even released.) Went on two nights (he played six consecutive nights) but can't remember which ones (might have tickets in loft?) Astounded by the quality, effort and integrity of his set. People who think he's just a flag waving Yankee boy are really missing out - he's one of the best songwriters around.

It was difficult to narrow it down to 5 but I managed it.

I remember Ouli. He was always a decent chap. The night The Who played Reading and nearly all the bar staff buggered off to see them on their staff passes, it left two of us to run the two bars. You can imagine how hectic that was. Ouli didn't go so far as to sully his hands and help out behind the bar but he did pay us double wages for being the only two to turn up.
  • Options

Prince 02 (about night 10 of 21) 2007
    The Undertones Malvern Winter Gardens 1981
    The Ramones Bournemouth Stateside 1980
    The Clash Brixton Academy 1982
    Thin Lizzy Southampton Gaumont Guildhall 1980

This suggests I should have stopped going to gigs in about 1982

All overtaken by the gig equivalent of Charlton v Sunderland at Wembley - Prince at the Roundhouse - tonight I'm going party like it's 1998

• Options
    Sensei said:

Thanks Viewfinder. You are absolutely correct. I remember Jerry Floyd in all honesty he was probably the senior DJ who got most of the good gigs. I certainly also remember Andy Dunkley but I don't think he was as regular? Jerry might play 3-4 nights a week and Ian would play 2-3. By the way Ian celebrated his 60th Birthday in Edinburgh last December. I was invited to attend a party to celebrate but had to withdraw as my Mum passed away shortly before. Ian's theme (the first tune played each session) was 'Free Four' by Pink Floyd - do you recall? Ian would play this, say something brief but profound and then leave me in the booth to play the remainder of the set. I am three years younger than Ian which is irrelevant now but was a world away in those heady days. One abiding memory of Ian is his continual introduction of Ultravox (John Foxx days) as Ultrapox. They didn't like it and used to get a little upset but Ian would smile and deny everything. Very funny - particularly as they were regulars in the laste1970's.
    Thanks for providing the link to the Marquee memorabilia site - very interesting. I'll pass this on to Ian and try and persuade him to contribute.
    I must also apologise for earlier suggesting that I attended from 1973 onwards. Having thought about it this is incorrect - I probably started in 1974-1975 but can't be certain of the exact time.

Saw Ultravox at the Marquee December 1978 Boxing Day, was a Fantastic gig. Remember DJ Mandy would DJ from the booth on a Sunday night and I would pop round and have a chat with her and put a request in, saw so many good gigs at the Marquee, such a shame that a venue like this is no longer. Another DJ Worth a mention who was also very good during the 70's was Del Stevens but he was usually playing Heneky's in Bromley amongst other fine establishments.
  • Options
    Heck, this is difficult. I am sure I would come up with a different top 5 next week.....

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - small venue in Chicago + Marquee (when they were the 'a mystery band')
    Bruce Springsteen - Wembley Arena (front row) - I'm not really a big Bruce fan either
    Genesis (still with Gabriel, of course) - Rainbow - 1970-something
    Nils Lofgren - Liverpool (front row again)
    Roger Waters - O2, Dublin
    Youssou N'Dour - Melbourne, Indigo2 and the rather sterile Barbican Theatre
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Jakarta

Hmm, that's seven - I did my best.
  • Options

Steve Marriott at the Tramshed in 84/85

Saw the packet of three at the cartoon in Croydon around the same time. Fabulous night, a real 'geezer'.

me too, Half Moon Putney. He died not long after, I was really shocked.

Have a DVD too, cannot remember the venue where it was filmed.