Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Chips you ever had

Comments

• Options
    The chips at The Valley are pretty good.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Best fish and chips I ever had was in Whitby, great mushy peas as well.

Magpie Cafe?

• Options
    No contest. The Blue Dolphin in Hastings - great fish as well.
  • Options

In Cambodia, cooked in sesame oil and tossed in some toasted garlic.

How were the Chips cooked?

• Options
    Quayside in Whitby, closer to Home the chippie that used to be in Holmsdale road bromley
  • Options
    Top of Burgess Hill high st (Fishers) but also a shout out for the chippy on the parade at the top of Victoria Way for their potatoe wedges!
  • Options
    The Belgians are the best in their thrice frying of chips, no Frituurs have disappointed me yet so far!
  • Options

best in London - Brockley Rock, can highly recommend that fish shop.

best in UK - Ilfracombe, N Devon.

Whereabouts in Ilfracombe?

Mine are a place called Cafe Du Soleil in Canterbury, their duck fat chips are amazing.
  • Options
    Any triple cooked duck fat chips with loads of salt

Or proper old school northern chips from 90's away days, cholesterol in a bag

Chips from fast food chains are rubbish even when drunk, not a fan of a thin chip
  • Options
    Chip shop outside the old away end at Crewe. Won awards. Truly outstanding.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The one down Whitstable high street think its just called the chip shop. Bang on...
  • Options
    Does no one cook chips at home anymore? My Dad's chips are the best by miles. No double or triple cooked rubbish. Just hand peeled and cut Maris Piper or King Edwards fried in Sunflower Oil.
  • Options
    Snapper on Sukhumvit Soi 11 does great chips if you are in Bangkok. Also like Simon's Fish & Chips in Jomtien. Back in the UK it is the first meal I have once we land. Dimonds fish bar in Tonbridge does the job.
  • Options
    Poppies in Spitalfields and quayside in Whitby
  • Options
    Codfather in Kyrenia
  • Options
    MSE7 said:

The one down Whitstable high street think its just called the chip shop. Bang on...

That's the one where the tourists all go. The one at the other end of town on Canterbury Road called Seven Seas Fish Bar and Restaurant is in my opinion much better. But I'm being a bit biased as it's my local.

• Options
    Last week, brought from a takeaway and eaten on the beach in the sunshine in Mablethorpe - chips always taste better if eaten by the sea. Bonus point for not having to fight off seagulls whilst eating them!
  • Options

No contest. The Blue Dolphin in Hastings - great fish as well.

That is pretty good, Maggies is up there to as is the Lighthouse. Our local chippy is really good to (Longships Lighthouse) on Priory road....as for the worse Nando's in Lewisham were pretty awful, went there once, chicken was OK but the chips...
  • Options
    The original Harry Ramsden shop in Guiseley in Yorkshire made the most beautiful fish & chips back in the day. All deep fried in real beef dripping. None of this vegetable oil malarkey. Sadly, the brand has been destroyed by franchising & they are pretty awful now.
  • Options
    The Laughing Halibut, Strutton Ground
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McDermotts, Forestdale, Croydon. Regular winners of The Best Fish & Chips. Best I have experienced - ever! It was some time ago (I moved away) but I think they are still there. If you are passing, give them a try.
  • Options
    Senpai said:

MSE7 said:

That's the one where the tourists all go. The one at the other end of town on Canterbury Road called Seven Seas Fish Bar and Restaurant is in my opinion much better. But I'm being a bit biased as it's my local.

Agreed, Seven Seas is much better than (I presume) Jones's.
  • Options

LOL

You start a thread on chips and of the hundreds and thousands of proper chippies of triple-cooked posh restaurants, you put up as your first offering McDonalds fries !!

Especially considering Burger King are far better.
  • Options
    Like someone's already said, anywhere in Belgium.
  • Options
    Black Country Museum, cooked in beef dripping.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    The ones they used to do at the Black Star pub in Stourport were fantastic but sadly I think the chef left years ago. Out here you can't get anything except crushingly average French Fries (usually made with unpeeled potatoes by culinary heretics) so I have to make my own these days with mixed results. The Missus does better chips than me.
  • Options
    The fryers delight on theobalds Road. Proper old skool beef dripping chips.
  • Options
    Seashell in Lisson Grove. Mind you the last time I was there was 20 years back. Don't know how they fare now.

• Options
    There's an amazing chip shop in Dartford run by an Indian family. Near the Volkswagen garage on princes road.
    The chips are honestly amazing. Cooked in groundnut oil I believe. They also do great chicken or lamb curries and small chicken pakoras which are good to snack on. The fish is excellent too. Always ram packed on a Friday / Saturday evening!
  • Options
    You cant buy decent chips (they call them hot chips, this leads to an interesting debate when they become cold as they are then cold, hot chips!!) here in the Oz fish and chip shops. Fish and seafood outstanding but the chips are just frozen from a packet not made fresh on site like in most of our chippies. Really miss that actually!