Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket : Summer 2014

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2014
    dickplumb said:

I think that Australia are poor on the sub continent. They were totally outplayed by India 4-0. They are a different proposition on pitches that offer a bit of bounce.

This. Pakistan are dominant in Dubai and Abu Dhabi simply because they have by far the best spinners than any other Test playing nation. Oz probably have the worst spinners. Spin rules in Middle East (by quite some way).
    It will make no difference to the way Oz will perform over here next season-its not as if they are now a poor side.
  • Options

dickplumb said:

I think that Australia are poor on the sub continent. They were totally outplayed by India 4-0. They are a different proposition on pitches that offer a bit of bounce.

This. Pakistan are dominant in Dubai and Abu Dhabi simply because they have by far the best spinners than any other Test playing nation. Oz probably have the worst spinners. Spin rules in Middle East (by quite some way).
    It will make no difference to the way Oz will perform over here next season-its not as if they are now a poor side.
    Not quite right in my view.

England know nullifying Johnson is critical so they will order similar pitches to those in Dubai - they'd be mad not to.

Of course, it's hard to get a northern deck dry like Dubai but it's the same idea, you want low bounce to take Johnson out of the game.

If you can normalise Johnson then you can look to score 400 plus and put the Aussies under presure with the bat.
  • Options
    Got tickets for Ashes Tests at Cardiff and Edgbaston.
  • Options
    What's amazing is the depth of talent in Pakistani cricket, how they can drag out a 30 something spinner from nowhere
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Don't Australian pitches offer bounce then? Someone should tell Mitch about this.
  • Options

dickplumb said:

Not quite right in my view.

England know nullifying Johnson is critical so they will order similar pitches to those in Dubai - they'd be mad not to.

Of course, it's hard to get a northern deck dry like Dubai but it's the same idea, you want low bounce to take Johnson out of the game.

If you can normalise Johnson then you can look to score 400 plus and put the Aussies under presure with the bat.
    Agree. Its something they tried to do in 2013? - and it sortof nullified the Oz quicks. Would expect them to do the same thing.
    However, that was in the days of having Graeme Swann - this time will be different,where our primary spinner will be Moin Ali (maybe Monte too) - not quite the same quality.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

dickplumb said:

Don't Australian pitches offer bounce then? Someone should tell Mitch about this.
    I think you are misunderstaing the original post.
    They are poor on the sub continent, but a totally different proposition on pitches that offer bounce - i.e in Australia
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

colthe3rd said:

dickplumb said:

I think you are misunderstaing the original post.
    They are poor on the sub continent, but a totally different proposition on pitches that offer bounce - i.e in Australia
    Yes fair point, Sorry Dick
  • Options
    Riviera said:

You can't go - you've a pub to look after.
  • Options

Riviera said:

You can't go - you've a pub to look after.
    Dont worry, i'll help you out and 'dispose' of the tickets for you.