Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Was there any point in staying up?

Comments

• Options
    Problem is it seems like the easy bits like signing up Dervite and Morrisson early doors weren't done. The difficult bit of improving the weak areas like up front have been joined with fixing the problems we appear to have allowed to arise because of a lack of foresight.

Maybe thats oversimplifying what really happened, but whatever. ..its far from encouraging.
  • Options
    Dave: `Was there any point in staying up?'

LOL thread title of the year!

Joking aside, I understand your frustration Dave....I think most of us feel the same ;)
  • Options

D_F_T said:

Down the vein not across the wrist is best!

Shit i knew id done it wrong.

Par for the course with you I reckon....

• Options
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Dave2l said:

It is worrying seeing the team dismantled, this time last season we was dreaming of a few quality editions and having a real crack at making the play offs. Now half that team amd coaching staff are gone.

Is Roland right? Time will tell, he risked in January by selling Yann and then appointing Riga. It paid off. Come August the squad will look very different to how it looks now.

Correct, by all means get rid of the dead wood, freshen it up, but not to the point of where no one is familiar with anyone else and we are starting from scratch in building a team.
    Starting from scratch ...as Chris Powell did? And succeeded.
    As an old time copper oft said "Move on please sir".
  • Options
    At £150 a season ticket i'm happy whoever we play.
  • Options
    Kiely#1 said:

Problem is it seems like the easy bits like signing up Dervite and Morrisson early doors weren't done. The difficult bit of improving the weak areas like up front have been joined with fixing the problems we appear to have allowed to arise because of a lack of foresight.

Maybe thats oversimplifying what really happened, but whatever. ..its far from encouraging.

Precisely. Whatever reasons/excuses are given it seems very plain that Duchatelet has been wanting to get rid of the higher earners and replacing them with 'less suitable' players.

Once today's Derby v Rangers game is over and I can then get my odds at the bookies and stick a bullseye on us going down(comfortably) next season.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

At £150 a season ticket i'm happy whoever we play.

Think I can get a tonbridge angels s/t for that
    They at least show desire and fight and if they don't have the quality!
    Or might just spend more time fishing
    At least if I catch nothing I have no one else to blame for the poor performance

• Options

Kiely#1 said:

Precisely. Whatever reasons/excuses are given it seems very plain that Duchatelet has been wanting to get rid of the higher earners and replacing them with 'less suitable' players.

Once today's Derby v Rangers game is over and I can then get my odds at the bookies and stick a bullseye on us going down(comfortably) next season.
    Agreed good call

Dead cert

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    dickplumb said:

Kiely#1 said:

Agreed good call

Dead cert

We are not even out of May. Bit early to be throwing the towel in. Honestly some Charlton fans make me question why I support this Club.
    The thread title is embarrassing.
    So ur telling me it still feels like good old Charlton to you does it?
    To me it's lost it's identity and just doesn't feel right to me but hey if u like ur club being run from belgium and sending over their castoffs to manage and play here and that feels right to you be my guest!

• Options

dickplumb said:

Kiely#1 said:

Agreed good call

Dead cert

We are not even out of May. Bit early to be throwing the towel in. Honestly some Charlton fans make me question why I support this Club.
    To me it's lost it's identity and just doesn't feel right to me but hey if u like ur club being run from belgium and sending over their castoffs to manage and play here and that feels right to you be my guest!

I have to say I don't get that feeling one bit. It's still my Charlton. The players pull on the red shirt and look happy when they score and down when we lose. There are still potholes in the car park. Football isn't like it was and never will be again.

• Options

Kiely#1 said:

Or like Hamer they're considering better offers from other clubs. He wants to cut the wage bill but he also won't want to see us get relegated next season.

They might all leave but that doesn't mean it's completely RDs fault.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Kiely#1 said:

Or like Hamer they're considering better offers from other clubs. He wants to cut the wage bill but he also won't want to see us get relegated next season.

Whose fault is it then?

• Options
    At the moment it does look pretty sad and as has been said on here before, it looks like RD is trying to get football "on the cheap".

Only time will tell if it works out but it's a risky business as most other teams will be investing in players, both fees & or wages.

RD seems to want to buck this trend and whilst I understand the reasons for doing it, if we become the only club taking this strategy we will be doing well to survive next year.

Lets face facts we have Katrien in charge of the day to day club activities, very inexperienced, The new manger coming in, very inexperienced. RD appears to want to sign younger players, again inexperienced.

I think, as I have said above our work will be cut out to survive next year if this strategy proves to be the one taken.

By the way change inexperienced for cheap in the above scenarios if you wish. ;-)
  • Options
    How many other championship clubs have already signed players ? Bolton and a few others no doubt. It's still very early and ridiculous to be worried.
  • Options
    I'll be having a wad on us to go down when I think odds have peeked, this league takes experience in this league itself, it's like no other. We're losing that experience, our best players that have signed contracts can't hack consistent games through injuries, and I highly doubt we'll be signing anyone known for tearing this league up.

I'll give it a week or two though, play your hand RD, as you said yourself, we'll judge you fully when you've had time to do what you want.. with different wording :-)
  • Options
    If flappy bird ends up as our no1 between the sticks I'll definitely have a big wager on us going down quicker than titanic
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I have been supporting the club for fifty three years and no it is not the same Club as I started supporting then. Nor would I expect it to be. When I started supporting you had a couple of walls to piss against, a wooden shack selling Club Rosettes. A great big East terrace and ramshackle stands. Some of the football was still bad.
    Football, as in life, things change, sometimes not for the better.
    What I don't understand is some peoples constant criticism of RD. All I am saying is let us wait until the end of the Transfer window to see where we are as regards our playing strengths. If it is full of inferior loans and poor free transfers then I will be the first to have a go. But there is still a long way to go before the start of the season.

Agree, well said

dickplumb said:

Kiely#1 said:

Agreed good call

Dead cert

I have to say I don't get that feeling one bit. It's still my Charlton. The players pull on the red shirt and look happy when they score and down when we lose. There are still potholes in the car park. Football isn't like it was and never will be again.

And again well said.

I am not blind to the risks and challenges we face.

And I have consistantly backed Roland while not being happy with every decision or every method.

This new era is not, imo, going to provide quick or easy solutions to the multiple long term problems we face.

It is going to be a bumpy ride but I'm hopeful we'll get there. Not as some seem to think in 3 or 4 weeks or even in 3 or 4 months but maybe in 3 or 4 years.

But whoever owns the Club, wherever it plays and who plays for it it's still our Club and I still back it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Having just seen QPR win today it was great to see the joy of their chairman Fenandes celebrating with the players.

Great result for them justifying THE SUPPORT AND TRUST THE CHAIRMAN HAD IN THE MANAGER.
  • Options

If flappy bird ends up as our no1 between the sticks I'll definitely have a big wager on us going down quicker than titanic

Down with the xmas decorations
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Throw in the supposed spurning of Riga though, and I don't blame people for panicking at this early stage. FFP appears to be the aim but as @PragueAddick has said before, that should be achieved over time. To suddenly slash an already low wage bill will leave us dangerously under-equipped next season. I really hope I'm wrong but at current it looks like being another long and trying year.

Errr.... I thought we were losing 5 million per year?? I don't understand people's grasp of economics. At our current wage bill we are not a viable business. Unless people do want a sugar daddy after all?
  • Options

This is a bit like when you are doing some building work.

You've ripped out the old walls and fittings and the place looks a mess.

But if you get the right builder in he can rebuild it better than before.

But if you can't find a reliable tradesman or two then you are left with a mess.

Can't believe I'm the first to suggest( albeit tentatively at this stage) that Bob the Builder could be our man !

• Options

RedPanda said:

Throw in the supposed spurning of Riga though, and I don't blame people for panicking at this early stage. FFP appears to be the aim but as @PragueAddick has said before, that should be achieved over time. To suddenly slash an already low wage bill will leave us dangerously under-equipped next season. I really hope I'm wrong but at current it looks like being another long and trying year.

Errr.... I thought we were losing 5 million per year?? I don't understand people's grasp of economics. At our current wage bill we are not a viable business. Unless people do want a sugar daddy after all?
    Duchatelet has a sizeable wedge
  • Options

Scoham said:

Kiely#1 said:

Whose fault is it then?

It's not one person's fault. The previous board didn't get them signed up on new contracts. Other clubs can afford to offer more money than us, did you expect us to keep Hamer for example, when a Premier League club came in for him?

How far should we go to keep a player like Dervite? He's done well enough for us but is he worth a 3 or 4 year contract and/or a big wage increase? I don't think it's been confirmed yet but from the sounds of it he's getting a long term deal at Bolton which will probably be on a better wage.
  • Options
    Keep the faith.
    Lots of dross cleared out.
    Should be judged on who comes in and how they perform.
    Think many of the naysayers are going to be pleasantly surprised next season.
    COYR's
  • Options

Keep the faith.
    Lots of dross cleared out.
    Should be judged on who comes in and how they perform.
    Think many of the naysayers are going to be pleasantly surprised next season.
    COYR's

I hope your right.

You maybe right.

I have very little faith in RD to be honest, but that kind of stuff COULD be turned around.

People might be holding on tightly to the fact that the bloke wasn't liked much at his other clubs, but then later proved to be a success. (Apparently)

My fear, with that, is the lucky light of risky decision making may have already gone out before we even kick off next season. It doesn't always work.

The better, or more appriciated way to run a club, from a fans point of view, is to recruit players first before letting key players head off. Keep a tight ship until certain players are no longer needed.

RD is obviously confident in his approach to things, taking risks etc.

Cautious he is not, unless you mean cautious about spending money on us.
  • Options
    Only a lemming leaping off a cliff. Nothing to see, move along.