Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RD doesn't like it if you don't play the players from his network

Comments

• Options
    There is a huge problem with www.transfermarkt.com. It is trying to be the Rightmove of footballers. However the market is not liquid enough.(One reason why you don't find an effective Rightmove in other European countries). Transfermarkt uses actual transfer fees where possible but where they don't exist, just invents a plausible figure. So Ben Hamer was alleged to be 'worth' €500,000. I do not have a problem with the creators of transfermarkt. They are at least trying to bring some order and rationality to a chaotic market place. However the danger comes if someone from outside the football industry uses it and trusts it in the same way as he would the market data for metals etc that he uses in his microelectronics business.
  • Options
    I think there were several criticisms of Powell selection and subs but I won't go there. The wisest words I heard when involved with the Trust were: "remember the board watch the same games as the fans"
    At the time Fraeye was a network scout / football analyst - a role to which he appears to have returned. He was waiting for a full prozone analysis of the game to be available which would probably give a fairly accurate picture of the game.
    We could say the same about Poyet - I recall NLA and Powell stating that Stephens could go in October if the right offer came in - which it did.
    And I hope Pope shows us that age is no barrier in goal.
    With Fox, Lennon and Gomez (hopefully) coming through we have a healthy basis of a squad for the next couple of years.
  • Options

I think there were several criticisms of Powell selection and subs but I won't go there. The wisest words I heard when involved with the Trust were: "remember the board watch the same games as the fans"
    At the time Fraeye was a network scout / football analyst - a role to which he appears to have returned. He was waiting for a full prozone analysis of the game to be available which would probably give a fairly accurate picture of the game.
    We could say the same about Poyet - I recall NLA and Powell stating that Stephens could go in October if the right offer came in - which it did.
    With Fox, Lennon and Gomez (hopefully) coming through we have a healthy basis of a squad for the next couple of years.

I hope you are right about the academy but I think you unrealistically assume they will all step up and consistently perform at a mid-level Championship standard quickly. There is no way of knowing that and as a strategy it is risky at this level. Bringing in 2 or 3 academy players a season would be a very good return in the Championship, but I think we need more than that so will have to go outside to bolster the squad and that is the unknown part of all this.
  • Options
    http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/charlton/charlton_on_the_verge_of_appointing_former_millwall_man_as_new_boss_1_3615962

"But, like Powell, Riga rarely used the loan players brought in by controversial owner Roland Duchatelet, which may have contributed to his departure."
    Seems they've got the same idea too.
  • Options

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/charlton/charlton_on_the_verge_of_appointing_former_millwall_man_as_new_boss_1_3615962

"But, like Powell, Riga rarely used the loan players brought in by controversial owner Roland Duchatelet, which may have contributed to his departure."
    Seems they've got the same idea too.

It's pretty obvious is it not lol RD needs the head of each important position at the club to be someone who plays along with his plan for his money/breaking even helping his other clubs increase in assets, he doesn't have a plan to take us forward as a club, he is not in football for that. Repetitive but true.
  • Options
    Nug said:

I hope you are right about the academy but I think you unrealistically assume they will all step up and consistently perform at a mid-level Championship standard quickly. There is no way of knowing that and as a strategy it is risky at this level. Bringing in 2 or 3 academy players a season would be a very good return in the Championship, but I think we need more than that so will have to go outside to bolster the squad and that is the unknown part of all this.
    Agreed 100% it is the calibre of the loans and other additions which will determine whether we finish mid-table or have another relegation fight on our hands. To me the pattern that is emerging is that 26 year olds like Dervite and Hamer are leaving to be replaced with academy players. While Dervite and Hamer were good I'm not sure they were in the million pound class - see below

There is a huge problem with www.transfermarkt.com. It is trying to be the Rightmove of footballers. However the market is not liquid enough.(One reason why you don't find an effective Rightmove in other European countries). Transfermarkt uses actual transfer fees where possible but where they don't exist, just invents a plausible figure. So Ben Hamer was alleged to be 'worth' €500,000. I do not have a problem with the creators of transfermarkt. They are at least trying to bring some order and rationality to a chaotic market place. However the danger comes if someone from outside the football industry uses it and trusts it in the same way as he would the market data for metals etc that he uses in his microelectronics business.

Agreed it is a guide only and you wouldn't buy or sell a player (house) with such a guide but it might direct me to the right post code to look at? The thing is that when you look at the top ten clubs in the Championship last season they have a squad valuation of £20m+ or an average £1M per player for the main 20 players. This makes sense to me given that those sides tonked us 3-0 in March and April. CAFC (and other clubs near us in the table) are only half that with an average player value of 500k. So signing or retaining one or two players won't make the difference in terms of reaching the playoffs.
    I think we would all agree that we need our best players to stay and improve and for the academy and loans to add to that in order for the club to progress.
    With respect I'm not sure Hamer and Dervite are rated inaccurately at 5-600k which is the same as Cousins, Ajdarevic and Morrison. Some of them might move clubs for a bigger fee in the future.

I fully realise it's not all about numbers but the fact we have just released 10 players worth less than £2m between them makes me more relaxed about where the club is going. And why is it when Watford bring in high value loan signings this is a threat to us but when Duchatelet does the same across Europe it is also bad. From the network watch started by you and the Trust and recently added to by @Mundell Fleming‌ it appears that all the other acquisitions are thriving... Winning cups...moving from relegation slots to playoffs (Alcorcun ). And I think CAFC finished higher in the league than where we were when Duchatelet took over despite selling Kermorgant, Stephens and Alnwick?

I look forward to seeing what the squad looks like in July and the transfermarkt revaluation of the division around that time. We will all be in a better position to evaluate our chances.

Incidentally I'm 100% positive that Staprix and CAFC are using a far more sophisticated model for valuations and decisions. The Web blurb on prozone makes transfermarkt look league 1 in comparison!
  • Options
    Have you read the Dyer interview yet, SR?
  • Options

Nug said:

Agreed 100% it is the calibre of the loans and other additions which will determine whether we finish mid-table or have another relegation fight on our hands. To me the pattern that is emerging is that 26 year olds like Dervite and Hamer are leaving to be replaced with academy players. While Dervite and Hamer were good I'm not sure they were in the million pound class - see below

And why is it when Watford bring in high value loan signings this is a threat to us but when Duchatelet does the same across Europe it is also bad. From the network watch started by you and the Trust and recently added to by @Mundell Fleming‌ it appears that all the other acquisitions are thriving... Winning cups...moving from relegation slots to playoffs (Alcorcun ). And I think CAFC finished higher in the league than where we were when Duchatelet took over despite selling Kermorgant, Stephens and Alnwick?

I agree with the rest of your post, however regarding these remarks:

1. When the network starts sending us players of the quality of Matej Vydra, I will be a happy bunny, and believe in the Network.

2. Be careful with interpreting the results of the other clubs in the network. We are trying to track the movement of players within the network to other clubs, and then how much game time they get. That, you will appreciate, is not an easy or quick task. However one thing is clear. If you regard Standard's performance this season as a success - and it is certainly an improvement- be aware that it owes nothing to the Network.
  • Options
    The SLP article with Dyer has proved that the pressure to play network players was happening with Riga too and is the most likely reason he has not got the job on a permanent basis, and I would call him a reliable source. Now the issue is out in the open the question now is will RD push on regardless with his ideas or have a moment of contemplation and realise that his methods are an unnecessary risk to the club. Only time will tell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2014

Nug said:

And why is it when Watford bring in high value loan signings this is a threat to us but when Duchatelet does the same across Europe it is also bad. From the network watch started by you and the Trust and recently added to by @Mundell Fleming‌ it appears that all the other acquisitions are thriving... Winning cups...moving from relegation slots to playoffs (Alcorcun ). And I think CAFC finished higher in the league than where we were when Duchatelet took over despite selling Kermorgant, Stephens and Alnwick?

I agree with the rest of your post, however regarding these remarks:

1. When the network starts sending us players of the quality of Matej Vydra, I will be a happy bunny, and believe in the Network.

2. Be careful with interpreting the results of the other clubs in the network. We are trying to track the movement of players within the network to other clubs, and then how much game time they get. That, you will appreciate, is not an easy or quick task. However one thing is clear. If you regard Standard's performance this season as a success - and it is certainly an improvement- be aware that it owes nothing to the Network.
    1) Agreed re summer recruitment - I have been consistent in stating that there is unrealised potential to sign Liege players if there is a reshuffle over there AND utilise the Liege scouting network which has built a squad worth €50m. This does not guarantee what level of new players we will see this summer. I can wait until July to see what happens. In the long run, I am suggesting that at the appropriate phase in CAFC development we may get a boost. A good time to do this might be summer 2015 or 2016 when the kids are a year or two older and FFP is really kicking in with ever reducing loss limits.
    2) if you re-read my post you will see I make no reference to Liege... It's all about Hungary and Spain... Oh and Charlton finishing higher in the league than when Duchatelet bought us! From comments on that thread it doesn't look like too many of the Liege exports made an impact anywhere.

My previous references to Liege are about understanding Duchatelet's modus operandi - as @Razil has posted there are no surprises in what he has done so far compared to Liege 3 years ago. But someone should explain the Riga situation

PS I regard the Liege playoff results as a bit of a fail! Did they win any games in the end? I look forward to an article from that Belgian journalist

• Options

Nug said:

2) if you re-read my post you will see I make no reference to Liege... It's all about Hungary and Spain... Oh and Charlton finishing higher in the league than when Duchatelet bought us! From comments on that thread it doesn't look like too many of the Liege exports made an impact anywhere.

My previous references to Liege are about understanding Duchatelet's modus operandi - as @Razil has posted there are no surprises in what he has done so far compared to Liege 3 years ago. But someone should explain the Riga situation

PS I regard the Liege playoff results as a bit of a fail! Did they win any games in the end? I look forward to an article from that Belgian journalist

Something is coming from Douglas. However he isn't getting anywhere either in terms of an audience with RD.

The question regarding Ujpest and Alcorcon is what decisions RD took which transformed their seasons. So far we haven't detected what, if any they might have been; we will only do that once we have reliable correspondents close to both clubs. However while Ujpest surprised us all by winning the Cup and sneaking into the Europa League, their league form has been dire. Fortunately there were two clubs adrift at the foot. I think his main achievement there has been to somehow avoid being whacked for a huge tax bill, something he might not have had to worry about if he had done more thorough due diligence in the first place.
  • Options
    So you want to talk about cup runs and dire league form? Lol
    I look forward to reading an article from Douglas... @ken from bexley@Razil and I had a beer with him at the Oxford cup game - he remarked on the pace of play!

In our appraisal of the squad in July let's not forget that we finished higher than where we were 5th Jan and lost way less money than the season before plus we have escaped the ownership of people who wouldn't or couldn't fund our losses. And through player sales we see the emergence of the player of the year straight from the academy who will either sign or generate a fee for us.
  • Options
    We dont really have any network players any more do we? So lets wait and see what happens
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    There's got to be more to it that watching videos. If I was an importing manager/coach, or even a scout making a recommendation, there's loads of things I'd want to know before accepting a player into the squad: How flexible are they regarding playing position (both in ability and attitude)? Are they a committed team worker or a solo player? Are they a positive person to have around the team? How do they take to coaching, critique and new ideas? Are they a consistent or a confidence player? How will they handle themselves when they disagree with the manager? To what extent will they get on with team mates (not essential, but a bonus)? How do they cope with different conditions and different styles of play? What's their fitness like over a full 90 mins.

I'd be very worried if I thought we were selecting purely on the basis of stats and videos A lot of these things are more about attitude than ball skills. To my mind you'd want to see the person up close before coming to any sort of judgement on them.
  • Options
    Managers appear to agree that by the time you interview the player, they will already have a sound knowledge of the player's technical skills and abilities. The interview sorts out all the issues that Stig has pointed out above. Spread sheets don't do very well on gauging abstract concepts. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.
  • Options
    I hope that Damian Matthew stays at the club, it is very important that we retain somebody with his experience who has knowledge of championship football.
  • Options

se9addick said:

What usually follows the phrase "shop window" is the word dummy. Showcasing talent is one thing but that will get you relegated without question. Leaving a devalued shop window.

I just cannot buy into all this conspiracy stuff. It makes no sense.

But can you make any sense of the Riga situation ? None of it makes much sense.
    I wanted Riga too.

My guess is that Peeters has been scouted by RD's advisors for some time and was always top of the list to replace Powell. He couldn't come in at the time of Chris's sacking because he was in post and possibly because RD wasn't sure which division Charlton would end up in but Riga was known and was available. Riga's success at The Valley was never going to deflect RD from the appointment of his identified and researched choice...Peeters.

As soon as our season ended contact was made and Peeters was sounded out. When it became clear he was interested Riga was surplus. I suspect Riga was kept hanging around without knowing was a fall back position for RD in the event that the Peeters deal was not concluded.

It's the only explanation I can see that fits but it just my opinion.

Excellent summary and probably 100% correct
  • Options
    DMCDMC
    edited May 2014
    Powell was sacked because of disagreements on transfers more than just who he was playing. He wanted more control over the transfers than "the club’s football strategy going forward" would allow him. In some of Riga's interviews he indicated that was what he wanted too, which made me think he would go at the end of the season well before we were even safe (I was right!).

Hopefully, at 6ft 5, Bob the Knob Peeters will make Roland poo his pants when he realizes what players he will be allowed. I have a suspicion it may actualy be Megan Fox Katrien Miere who is bringing the players in not the scouting network. Am I justified in thinking that?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Katrien is a lawyer. Not a chance in hell that she has anything to do with player acquisition other than finance nd contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Katrien bringing in the players........only on charlton life.
  • Options

If you were trying to solve a crime one of the things you'd want to understand is motive.

What nobody has explained is what Duchatelet would be seeking to achieve if he forced his Coaches and/or Managers to play network signings who simply aren't good enough for the team they've joined.

How does such an approach add value, exactly? Why would he do it?

To showcase them in a game that was televised around the world?
    Why would he showcase a shower of shit?

• Options

Katrien is a lawyer. Not a chance in hell that she has anything to do with player acquisition other than finance nd contract.

And furthermore she's on holiday. Quite a lot to come back to.

• Options
    edited May 2014

The story I have heard is a little less dramatic, and one you can hear throughout the business world all the time. RD and CP did not immediately hit it off, and so the quality of dialogue started badly and went downhill from there. It's suggested that CP perhaps wasn't prepared to ring RD back and make his case re various players. Riga came in with the advantage of already enjoying RD's trust. So when Riga said "I'm not playing Thuram et al because they are not good enough", RD accepted it from him. That just happens all the time in the business world.

I remain perplexed as to why RD has let Riga go in such an apparently clumsy way, but I doubt it's to do with playing the shower that were sent over in Jan.

This is much more likely to be right PA. It is axiomatic that relationships of trust build from foundations over time. CP may have the trust of some us but if it was your money, the team was under-performing and players you had secured were not being picked, you would be asking somebody whom you hadn't formed a trusting relationship why he was still playing players who were losers. Its pretty obvious.

If I was RD, I would be asking those questions and I would have more than likely replaced CP earlier than he did and certainly after the shambolic Blades performance.

I very much doubt if Peeters has been signed for the length of his brown nose and how far he is able to thrust it up RDs ignoble backside. He will have the trust of somebody selected by the owner. I've no doubt that "network players" will feature but I am certain the decision over who to pick will be entrusted to Peeters.

• Options

From the first recorded interview with RD and CP, the highly uncomfortable body language of CP told you immediately that they had not hit it off. Riga was hired as a trouble shooter and was always intended to be temporary. Riga however found a job where he felt at ease but RD saw son of CP in that Riga was telling him things that hadn't appeared on the spreadsheet, so his days were numbered. I can see no reason at all CV wise, why Peeters has been chosen. He presumably had to be a yes man, but Peeters may just have played at saying what RD wanted to hear because he wanted the job. All we can do at this stage is to keep asking questions and firmly pressing for answers whilst we wait and see what happens.

Spot on.
  • Options
    I don't know the exact numbers of Liege players on loan throughout the network but I don't hear of any other Duchatelet managers getting the chop within a couple of months of the club being purchased.
    I fully understand why Riga was brought in. I await the clubs explanations of why not Riga for next season and why Peeters.
    As many have noted Ajdarevic made a key contribution to us staying up. The other network players appear to have been overvalued and the championship underestimated.
  • Options

And furthermore she's on holiday. Quite a lot to come back to.

I thought she was only away for the week after the sponsors evening.

• Options

I don't know the exact numbers of Liege players on loan throughout the network but I don't hear of any other Duchatelet managers getting the chop within a couple of months of the club being purchased.
    I fully understand why Riga was brought in. I await the clubs explanations of why not Riga for next season and why Peeters.
    As many have noted Ajdarevic made a key contribution to us staying up. The other network players appear to have been overvalued and the championship underestimated.

Didn't he sack the Liege manager pretty early on?
  • Options
    So when are statistics valid and when are they not? There is a wave of criticism of the club using "analysts" collating and presenting a series statistical data to assess players yet the balance of opinion on M.Peeters is entirely based on his statistical data.

Indeed the next target name revealed on "Rumours" will have everybody on this board scurrying for Google and Wikipedia to check out the players' "statistical data" from which they will form "an opinion".

As Mr Dyer stated there is more to it than statistical data. The question is how you use the data. It is a perfectly legitimate tool to challenge conceptions. As I have mentioned before I worked with coaches 25yrs ago with clipboards with a range of elements 10yd passes forward, side wards, back - 20yds passes etc., loss of possession, tackles won - lost etc., it is nothing new. You would be surprised at how the data stacks up against your perception of the game.

I knew an Australian Rugby league player whose match bonus depended on number of "hits" made, 10yd runs etc., against minutes played. It worked well in that environment - it certainly motivated him.

However to simply form an opinion the new head coach based on statistics, when you are castigating the owners approach for largely the same thing I am afraid suggests double standards.