Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Options
    I was at the Oval for one of the days when Amla got his 311...

That was at his peak though, and against a far weaker attack than the Kent one!
  • Options

OH god, THAT series. It seemed like every time i put the TV on that summer , Amla was batting.
    Archer soon sorted him out in the WC this year,mind.

Watching SA this series v India, they do a little weak, certainly in the batting dept.
  • Options

OH god, THAT series. It seemed like every time i put the TV on that summer , Amla was batting.

Watching SA this series v India, they do a little weak, certainly in the batting dept.
    To be fair it wasn't just Archer causing Amla problems, he struggled in the WC

I've been a bit disappointed whenever I've seen Morkel play for Surrey, he's definitely lost a yard of pace and it's more difficult for a bowler who relies on pace and bounce to be dangerous as they age when compared to one who "nips the ball around"

Kent's own Kolpak Heine Kuhn had a great first half to 2018, but since then has been pretty average
  • Options
    I agree with Amla KAF, however, it was Archer hitting him in the head in the first game put the mockers on him for the rest of the tourno imo.
  • Options
    Hashim Amla to return to Surrey next season as a kolpak according to Cricinfo. 

Jason roy just posted their article and the 😍 emoji on Instagram so it must be happening. 
    El Presidente recently took issue with Kent's "South African" contingent but should, perhaps, look closer to home. Amla completes the team of foreign imports:

Hashim Amla (South Africa)
    Sam Curran (South Africa)
    Tom Curran (South Africa)
    Jason Roy (South Africa)
    Jade Dernbach (South Africa)
    Conor McKerr (South Africa)
    Stuart Meaker (South Africa) 
    Morne Morkel (South Africa)
    Matt Pillans (South Africa)
    Dean Elgar(South Africa)
    Nico Reiffer (Barbados)

Poor Reifer would probably feel the odd one out in that side!

A number of these were educated in England. However, I'm sure it's is so not much of a coincidence that Reifer, for example, moved from playing for Barbados & West Indies U15s to Surrey U15s in the same year that he joined Whitgift School - and he isn't the only one who I suspect has been "helped" in this regard.
    This has been done to death so I wont go into these one by one. I will say 2 things. 1 england qualified and Kolpak are very different things in my eyes and I think in most county fans eyes.

2. SAM CURRAN WAS BORN IN NORTHAMPTON 
  • Options

I've been a bit disappointed whenever I've seen Morkel play for Surrey, he's definitely lost a yard of pace and it's more difficult for a bowler who relies on pace and bounce to be dangerous as they age when compared to one who "nips the ball around"

Kent's own Kolpak Heine Kuhn had a great first half to 2018, but since then has been pretty average
    Morne was exceptional in 2018 (59 wickets at 14 in 10 matches - 4 less than others).

He has been merely good this year in a struggling side (44 wickets at 29 in 14 games).

The real difference for me this year has been that he has regularly taken wickets but hasn't blown teams away. He has the one 4-fer and no 5-fers. Compared to last year where he had loads of spells that ended games. Can't  find the stats but he took multiple 6-fers last year and it felt like a 5-fer every match.
  • Options

Morne was exceptional in 2018 (59 wickets at 14 in 10 matches - 4 less than others).

He has been merely good this year in a struggling side (44 wickets at 29 in 14 games).

The real difference for me this year has been that he has regularly taken wickets but hasn't blown teams away. He has the one 4-fer and no 5-fers. Compared to last year where he had loads of spells that ended games. Can't  find the stats but he took multiple 6-fers last year and it felt like a 5-fer every match.
    His legs have gone  :)
  • Options

Jason roy just posted their article and the 😍 emoji on Instagram so it must be happening. 
    El Presidente recently took issue with Kent's "South African" contingent but should, perhaps, look closer to home. Amla completes the team of foreign imports:

Jason Roy (South Africa)
    Dean Elgar(South Africa)
    Nico Reiffer (Barbados)

A number of these were educated in England. However, I'm sure it's is so not much of a coincidence that Reifer, for example, moved from playing for Barbados & West Indies U15s to Surrey U15s in the same year that he joined Whitgift School - and he isn't the only one who I suspect has been "helped" in this regard.
    This has been done to death so I wont go into these one by one. I will say 2 things. 1 england qualified and Kolpak are very different things in my eyes and I think in most county fans eyes.
    ;

1. It has been done to death but the fact remains that Surrey help "imported" overseas players with their education. Here's a few by way of example:

Stuart Meaker - Cranleigh
    Jason Roy - Whitgift
    Tom Curran - Wellington College
    Sam Curran - Wellington College
    Nico Reifer - Whitgift

If we take this further, I believe that this is a full list of Surrey born players (and where they were educated):

Jamie Smith - Whitgift
    Rory Burns - Whitgift
    Will Jacks - St George's College
    Ryan Patel - Whitgift
    Ollie Pope - Cranleigh
    Gus Atkinson - Bradfield College
    Freddie van den Bergh - Whitgift
    Ricki Clarke - Broadwater School 

So, apart from 38 year old Clarke (who came from an era when the Surrey selection policy was somewhat different) every single Surrey born player was educated at a big private school. There has always been a big "tie up" between schools such as Whitgift and the county with not just the previously mentioned six players educated there but the likes of Dominic Sibley too. Most of these have always been, as far as I am aware, at this private schools for the whole of their secondary education with the exception of Burns - but he came from City of London Freemen's School which is private too.  

The county of Surrey does not have State schools that play cricket - it's just that Surrey choose not to fish in those pools. I wonder how many talented inner London kids there are that are just totally overlooked because they do not fit the mould?

Virdi is an example (although not born in Surrey) of what might be out there. He came through the age group system but turned down a scholarship because he didn't want to board and was also playing adult cricket at the age of 13 - and the demands of a private school is that you play for them and not a club at the weekends. 

2. WELL SAM CURRAN DIDN'T GET THAT "TWANG" GROWING UP IN NORTHAMPTON DID HE? BUT THEN HE WAS LIVING AND PLAYING (INCLUDING FOR ZIMBABWE U13) 'TIL HE GOT HIS SCHOLARSHIP AT WELLINGTON COLLEGE (please excuse the shouting but if someone shouts at me I'm hardly going to whisper back!)

3. Somehow I missed that Surrey have just signed Daniel Moriaty who played international U19 cricket for - yes you guessed it - South Africa!

4. What Surrey has done is created a system for the privileged and foreign mercenaries. They are not unique as this does, undoubtedly, happen with other counties (South African cricket is in a state because of it) but certainly not to this extent. Kent have their hair share of Kolpaks and Billings, Cox, Crawley and DBD were privately educated but the likes of Blake, Robinson, Denly and Thomas plus Riley and Ball previously were all went to State schools. 

• Options

Jason Roy (South Africa)
    Dean Elgar(South Africa)
    Nico Reiffer (Barbados)

;

1. It has been done to death but the fact remains that Surrey help "imported" overseas players with their education. Here's a few by way of example:

Stuart Meaker - Cranleigh
    Jason Roy - Whitgift
    Tom Curran - Wellington College
    Sam Curran - Wellington College
    Nico Reifer - Whitgift

If we take this further, I believe that this is a full list of Surrey born players (and where they were educated):

Jamie Smith - Whitgift
    Rory Burns - Whitgift
    Will Jacks - St George's College
    Ryan Patel - Whitgift
    Ollie Pope - Cranleigh
    Gus Atkinson - Bradfield College
    Freddie van den Bergh - Whitgift
    Ricki Clarke - Broadwater School 

So, apart from 38 year old Clarke (who came from an era when the Surrey selection policy was somewhat different) every single Surrey born player was educated at a big private school. There has always been a big "tie up" between schools such as Whitgift and the county with not just the previously mentioned six players educated there but the likes of Dominic Sibley too. Most of these have always been, as far as I am aware, at this private schools for the whole of their secondary education with the exception of Burns - but he came from City of London Freemen's School which is private too.  

The county of Surrey does not have State schools that play cricket - it's just that Surrey choose not to fish in those pools. I wonder how many talented inner London kids there are that are just totally overlooked because they do not fit the mould?

Virdi is an example (although not born in Surrey) of what might be out there. He came through the age group system but turned down a scholarship because he didn't want to board and was also playing adult cricket at the age of 13 - and the demands of a private school is that you play for them and not a club at the weekends. 

2. WELL SAM CURRAN DIDN'T GET THAT "TWANG" GROWING UP IN NORTHAMPTON DID HE? BUT THEN HE WAS LIVING AND PLAYING (INCLUDING FOR ZIMBABWE U13) 'TIL HE GOT HIS SCHOLARSHIP AT WELLINGTON COLLEGE (please excuse the shouting but if someone shouts at me I'm hardly going to whisper back!)

3. Somehow I missed that Surrey have just signed Daniel Moriaty who played international U19 cricket for - yes you guessed it - South Africa!

4. What Surrey has done is created a system for the privileged and foreign mercenaries. They are not unique as this does, undoubtedly, happen with other counties (South African cricket is in a state because of it) but certainly not to this extent. Kent have their hair share of Kolpaks and Billings, Cox, Crawley and DBD were privately educated but the likes of Blake, Robinson, Denly and Thomas plus Riley and Ball previously were all went to State schools. 

I see your point but lets be realistic here. the vast majority of English cricketers went to private school -  its a fundamental issue with the game across all counties and all levels. I believe you yourself have commented on here before about the costs of playing the game for kids being a factor in this.

You've picked a subset of surrey academy products in the last few years and yes the majority of them did go to private school (no different from any county) but a number of them were there on sports scholarships which are widely thought of as a good thing. 

This wasn't even a debate about that but about the country of birth of players. As I said before being England qualified is very different than being a KOLPAK player.

ALL of these boys are England qualified. Surrey have not 'imported' them. Other than the Currans which are a different case and Mckerr all of these players were brought to the UK by their UK born parents at a very young age - well before they were even close to the radar of surrey so that argument is frankly stupid. 

The only reason that I put the Sam Curran bit in capitals is because you once again claimed above he was born in South Africa which I have told you multiple times before is not the case. And he spend most of his childhood in Zimbabwe (where Tom was born) not South Africa. 

Moriaty has been through the MCCU system and has played county seconds for a couple of counties. We have decided to give him a chance again can hardly be accused of importing him.
  • Options
    You should not confuse Surrey having good links with the good sporting Schools in its catchment area with Surrey "importing overseas players with their education" the vast majority of the players you list had been at those schools multiple years before they joined the Surrey age group programme.

There are exceptions e.g the Currans (whose family were moving to the UK after the tragic death of father Kevin and recommended to the club by a former player - hardly a bad thing they ended up in English cricket)  and Mckerr (who moved to the UK after school age). but claiming it is the majority is just total bullshit. Surrey are hardly recruiting toddlers from SA ffs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is a difference between the likes of Roy, Dernbach, Meaker etc. (and Stokes and dozens of others in county cricket) who were born overseas and came here from a young age with their families, grew up here and learnt their sport here and the likes of KP/Archer who came here when older with the sole aim of playing cricket as they found opportunities limited in their own country.
  • Options
    Canters - I think you are missing the point. Surrey pays little or even no attention whatsoever to the talented kids that are on their doorstep that do not go to private schools. As for your assertion that "the vast majority of English cricketers went to private school" I'm sorry but you really do need to do your research.

All the Surrey educated boys are (because they are from a county that, as I have demonstrated, mainly only look at those in private schools) but, unless I'm mistaken, the following 12, who have all played for England in the last six months, were NOT privately educated:

Joe
     Denly
    James Anderson
    Jack Leach
    Ben Stokes
    Joe Root
    Adil Rashid
    Moen Ali
    Chris Woakes
    Liam Plunkett
    Olly Stone   
    David Willey
    Ben Foakes

ffs!
  • Options
    Canters - I think you are missing the point. Surrey pays little or even no attention whatsoever to the talented kids that are on their doorstep that do not go to private schools. As for your assertion that "the vast majority of English cricketers went to private school" I'm sorry but you really do need to do your research.

All the Surrey educated boys are (because they are from a county that, as I have demonstrated, mainly only look at those in private schools) but, unless I'm mistaken, the following 12, who have all played for England in the last six months, were NOT privately educated:

Joe Denly
    James Anderson
    Jack Leach
    Ben Stokes
    Joe Root
    Adil Rashid
    Moen Ali
    Chris Woakes
    Liam Plunkett
    Olly Stone   
    David Willey
    Ben Foakes

ffs!
    No I think you're missing the point. You're twisting a conversation that was about nationality and whether players were england qualified/kolpaks into one of education.

Also when did 12 become the majority of English professional cricketers? 

Surrey may well be particularly bad at this but in no way is it an isolated problem. Its widely acknowledged that this is a problem for the whole game and is regularly an issue discussed by cricket pundits. It was the focus of a discussion one lunchtime on sky at the oval test. It is always mentioned on TMS. There have been numerous articles on many media sites and papers this summer about this very issue. To try and pin it on surrey is ridiculous. The county of surrey is very middle class, it has a higher average income than most parts of the country and a higher proportion of kids go to private school there than anywhere else in the country. I'm not excusing it I am simply saying it's a cricket wide problem and needs to be tackled by the game as a whole.

As for your assertion that Surrey are actively ignoring talented kids I think its ridiculous. I know you have knowledge of kids that have been overlooked by surrey but I am certain their schooling had nothing to with the decision.
  • Options
    To be honest I'm not really sure what your point is. 

Your first post came across like it was "Surrey using kolpaks and overseas born players". Your second post seemed like "Surrey are importing players for an edication". Your third post seems like "Surrey are elitist and ignore non-private school kids".

Not really sure what you're getting at tbh.
  • Options
    That Surrey are shit. 
  • Options
    Surrey have appointed Vikram Solanki as their new head coach. 

Vikram has played at the very top, has a full understanding of the game and everything to do with technique and mindset and is a thoroughly good bloke to boot.

Unfortunately!
  • Options
    Surrey Ultra  :D
  • Options
    I'm pretty happy with that tbh. Hes been around the squad for a few years so will know the players and is highly thought of as a coach. There has been a bit of a feeling around the place that Stewie runs the show anyway, or at least he has done since Graham Ford left. 

My one issue is that Vikram was down to coach one of the 100 sides which would mean him missing a chunk of the season, surrey allowed him to do when he was assistant but I dont think he should be able to do so as head coach. But hopefully they ditch that ridiculous idea and we dont have anything to worry about.
  • Options
    Surrey Ultra  :D
    Made me laugh to.
    But in the present circumstances love to all.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jamie Overton signed on long term contract
  • Options
    Saw that. Reported by the mail and not yet confirmed by the club. Certainly a very good signing as despite on paper having very good quick bowling depth with Sam, Tom and Topley with England, Morkel unable to get into the country (and in his last year here) the usual 4 injuries (Plunkett, Dernbach, Mckerr and Atkinson) we are left having to pick kids. The 11 for tomorrow includes James Taylor 19 and signed for the 2nd xi this season.

The bigger issue though is the batsmen. Burns, Pope, Foakes, Roy all with England and Amla also unable to get into the country our tail starts at 4.

Side for the match tomorrow

Stoneman
    Patel 
    Borthwick
    Jacks
    Smith (wk)
    Clark
    Clarke(c)
    Taylor
    Moriarty 
    Dunn
    Virdi

7 or 8 bowling options (infact everyonein that side bowls except the keeper and Stoneman)  but I dont think I have ever seen a weaker batting lineup.

• Options
    Have quickly checked, the only players nothing the side for tomorrow that are not injured and not in an England bubble are the 42 yr old player coach Batty and the youngsters on Rookie contracts Kimber and Riefer. 

We are very thin on the ground. Would love to still have Arun Harinath to add a bit of gritt and experience to that top order
  • Options
    Cannot resist something of a lol. Sorry folks
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Cannot resist something of a lol. Sorry folks
    I'm so pleased the Nabster is gone. 

Have that.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    So many excuses can be made (players in test squad, ODI squad players not being made available, Amla stuck overseas and Morkel only just arrived in the country, 6 injuries very young side etc etc.) But none of it is enough. We've had 3 terrible games. There are enough senior players in the squad who should be performing better. What's going on with Rikki Clarke? Made captain for match 1, stripped of the captaincy for match 2 having done nothing wrong and then dropped for match 3 having bowled well. Hes been our only consistent performer over the last 3 years and without both Currans or Jordan Clark he is our only allrounder. What's going on. 

What's with the captaincy. Burns is with england for the foreseeable appoint someone else! Used Foakes for all of last season without officially calling him vice captain. Now we are on the serial underperformer and disappointment of a signing Stoneman. Meh. 

Play a young spinner Moriarty in the first match he takes 5 and out bowls virdi but isnt seen again. Our quicks arent taking wickets. Play both spinners.
  • Options
    So what team will we be putting out for the quarters?

Church said recently on comms that we wont see Jade this season but hopefully Foakes, Batty and Amla will be back. No idea about Jordan Clark. Patel, Morkel, Mckerr and Pope are all out for the season. Sam and Tom at the IPL.

I would probably go with the below. Has all bases covered and feels like a strong lineup. If Batty isnt fit then Atkinson plays for him and Burns plays for Smith to captain.

Jacks
    Roy
    Amla
    Evans
    Foakes 
    Smith/Burns
    Overton
    Plunkett
    Moriarty
    Batty/Atkinson
    Topley

Borthwick, Dunn and Clarke also in the squad but miss out.

Have I missed anyone?

• Options
    Just seen that i missed the confirmed squad yesterday. Batty Foakes and Amla all fit and the added bonus of Jordan Clark back fit. 
  • Options
    well done Surrey

Form team 
  • Options
    Happy new year all. Suns shining and its got me thinking about the upcoming season. Time to get this thread going again

Full Squad list:

Hashim Amla (Overseas)
    Rory Burns (Captain)
    Laurie Evans
    Jason Roy
    Mark Stoneman
    Will Jacks
    Ryan Patel
    Nico Reifer

Ben Foakes
    Jamie Smith
    Ollie Pope

Jamie Overton
    Jordan Clark
    Rikki Clarke
    Sam Curran
    Tom Curran
    Gus Atkinson
    Jade Dernbach (T20 captain)
    Matthew Dunn
    Nick Kimber
    Conor McKerr
    Liam Plunkett
    Kemar Roach (Overseas)
    James Taylor
    Reece Topley

Daniel Moriarty
    Gareth Batty
    Amar Virdi

On paper thats a pretty good squad. As always we have a serious surplus of seamers but we always seem to have about half of them injured at any one point in time so perhaps they're needed. I'm ignoring the H****** bullshit but clearly that will mean we lose a few players as will the IPL and England call ups.

A few players to focus on:

Stoneman. We all know his class but he had a truly awful season last year after being made captain in Burns and Foakes absence. He averaged 13 in 4 matches and asked to give up the captaincy after only one match. Key player if he can regain some form.

Jacks. One of our better batsmen in the BWT last year and was awarded MVP in the T20 blast after impressing with bat and ball. Was a real coming of age for Will. Unfortunately hes had a poor winter at the BBL. Hopefully he can regain form.

TC. Dont think he played a single game for Surrey last year. In fact I cant find a record of him doing so. After some disappointing England performances of late you wonder if he will re-commit to surrey to try and play himself into form.

Burns. had a testing winter in unfamiliar conditions. Needs to find form in the early season BWT to get back into the England side ahead of the tests.

Pope. As with Burns a disappointing winter after coming back from surgery on his troublesome shoulder and not playing for 6 months. Will be good to see him back in a surrey shirt and hope he can kick on again.

Moriarty. Real breakthrough season for him last year. Did well in the BWT early season but was left out as senior seamer returned and it was felt we didn't need 2 spinners. When he returned to the side he once again showed a real ability to take wickets. Exceptional in the blast. 

Jamie Smith. Showed some real promise last season. Likely to play just as a batsman as dont see Foakes playing tests this summer. Big opportunity for him.

Overseas. Amla has another year on his contract. We have signed Roach for the first 7 championship matches. I expect we will see a couple more players coming in for short stints as and when they are available.

T20 Side
    Roy
    Jacks
    Evans
    Amla
    Pope
    Foakes
    Overton
    Sam Curran
    Tom Curran
    Batty
    Moriarty
    Dernbach

Seriously powerful top order and a lot of bowling options (including Will Jacks). Decent depth with the likes of Jordan Clark, Plunkett and Jamie Smith to come in.

Championship
    Burns
    Stoneman
    Amla
    Pope
    Roy
    Foakes
    Sam Curran
    Rikki Clarke
    Tom Curran
    Roach
    Virdi

Some tough choices here too leaving out Laurie Evans who was one of our better (well relatively better) batsmen last year. Jamie Smith also falls into that bracket, both will get their chance as IPL/ England call ups have their effect. Plenty of bowlers to choose from when Sam/Tom arent around, they are all a bit much of a muchness in my view. Plenty of potential there but no one I would back to do it consistently whether through form or injury. I'd like to see us pick Moriarty and play 2 spinners. Not because the pitches demand it but he was our best bowler last year (bar Virdi) so he deserves a go.

In reality we wont see this side at all as Sam, Tom and Roy are at the IPL so will miss the early season which is when the test players Burns/Pope will be available.