Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Driving across town to the m4

edited June 2014 in Not Sports Related
Is it worth going that way (less miles) to the m4 if you leave at say 5:30am?

Comments

• Options
    At 05:30 it's a doddle.
  • Options
    (Not using the m25) whats the latest one would leave?
  • Options
    Weekdays the traffic starts to build at 06:30 ish. I think your 05:30 via vauxhall bridge, embankment, Earls Court would be fine.
  • Options
    Agree, we have family in Newbury and up till 6:30am it's a doddle...
  • Options
    Cool thanks
  • Options
    Be on any road in london prior to 6 and you reduce your time dramatically

Leave at 5- 5.30 and you'll save another twenty mins min
  • Options
    As long as you are by the London bridges by 6:30 then no sweat from then on.
  • Options
    Used to drive out to Southall from Croydon when I worked there. Provided you get to Earls Court by 6:45 you're fine. Of course, you might get stuck in traffic on the elevated section of the M4 (seen more accidents at that poxy junction by the Glaxo building than anywhere else in my lifetime) but so long as you don't, it's plain sailing. Plus, you beat the congestion charge if you get out of London before 7.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I have driven to Heathrow more times than I care to think about. Leave at 5.30 then it's through town, later...then you drive through town wishing you had taken the M25, or you take the M25 wishing you'd driven through town!
    My best advice is to stay sarf ov ver rivver (you have to know your routes) and cross at Battersea Bridge.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Take the battersea park bridge as the road along past the. Dogs home always has less traffic than the North . side. Embankment side.

The Journey (to the start of the M4) not bad. 5am - 25 mins or less from lewisham. 10-8 still no more than an hour and Half unless something is up the swanny
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't forget you have to be out of the congestion zone before 7:00 am to avoid the charge.
  • Options
    Reading this thread makes me really homesick...

Does it bollocks.

:-D
  • Options

Does it bollocks.

Yeah well, using the A22 is easy peasy because none of the locals can afford the tolls or understand how to pay them anyway, so there's no traffic. :-)
  • Options
    thinking consumption wise might as well just go m25 stay and 2500 revs and get there quicker/more economically
  • Options
    its all about keeping costs down to a minimum if I do it regularly, thinking shorter distance through town is a false economy..
  • Options
    If you get stuck on the M25 you're stuck. If you go through town you can dive onto a back double and keep moving.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Does it bollocks.

Yeah well, using the A22 is easy peasy because none of the locals can afford the tolls or understand how to pay them anyway, so there's no traffic. :-)
    Ha ha - spot on there mate! :-D
  • Options
    Where are you travelling from Razil? I used to drive to Heathrow from Erith and go through town, leaving about 6am. I used to go over Vauxhall bridge and if it was going well I'd be driving over that just after 7am. The M25 is pretty awful and going that way it was 65 miles for me, compared to 28 miles across town. Going that route I was also outside the congestion zone anyway.
  • Options

Does it bollocks.

I'm with you on that one!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Welling to Reading
  • Options
    Raz

I done enfield to Poyle for 3 years the m25 is only good before 6 am if you go any later and by that I mean get to any of the big jcts before the M4 by 6

If you was to go from dartford under the tunnel and rd past jct 27,26,25 then you must be there by 6am you need to be at 17,18 by 630 latest

If you go the other way then the jcts as you come rd towards the m4 and heathrow are exactly the same

If I was you I would be going the way you've been advised through town and at the times given

If not you will hate the journey daily

It's a horrible bstd mway the m25 and the m4 is bang in the middle of it you have to approach some of the longest jams it has regardless what way you go
  • Options
    Take the North Circular - 40 limit almost all the way - most economical route by far.
  • Options
    If you go south round the m25, cut down the m3 and across via Bracknell to then join up with the m4. Quicker than going round to the junction of m25/m4.
  • Options
    yeah I did the m3 Bracknell route on the way back today, through town was OK but I got a bit lost in Victoria trying to cut a corner off the route and relying on gps too much.. so if i get there (M3/M25 jct ) by 6am I'm in the clear?
  • Options
    Anything after 6 am on the m25 even 15 / 20 mins can cost you an hr on top

So you want to be hitting that jct at 6 mate
  • Options
    ta v much
  • Options
    Rather you than me mate. Whatever way you do it, its a fecker of a journey. As others have said leave as early as humanly possible.
  • Options
    Yeah - there's no way you can keep that up for more than three months. By the end of the first month week you'll realise you;re travelling about four hours a day, By the end of the first month you'll wish you were dead.
  • Options
    I was doing enfield to coleshill Warwickshire everyday last year from March to June it took 2.5/3.5 hrs home and 1 hr 40 there

It was only 111 miles from door to door each way but it nearly killed me as I was doing a full day there when I arrived

Get plenty of rest raz as you will be exhausted and go to bed at a suitable time