Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Town Centres - Ones to Avoid!

Comments

• Options
    Morecambe
    Blackpool
    Carlisle (although round by the Cathedral is okay)
    Preston - especially the bus station (it gets grim very quickly only a short distance from the brighter lights).

Northern Ireland has its share of sh*tholes as well (some not too large, but almost entirely appalling).

Larne
    Strabane
    Upperlands
    Dungiven
    New Buildings
    Glengormley
    Lurgan
    Portadown/Craigavon
  • Options
    Eltham High Street. It's like the Jeremy Kyle green room.
  • Options

Morecambe
    Blackpool
    Preston - especially the bus station (it gets grim very quickly only a short distance from the brighter lights).

Northern Ireland has its share of sh*tholes as well (some not too large, but almost entirely appalling).

Larne
    Strabane
    Upperlands
    Dungiven
    New Buildings
    Glengormley
    Lurgan
    Portadown/Craigavon

Why do you keep going to crap places, you must choose more carefully :smiley:
  • Options
    Carter said:

Most town centres are shitholes. Out of the ones to mince down where I live I'll rank in order of shitholeyness

1) Sheerness
    2) Sittingbourne
    3) Gillingham
    4) Strood
    5) Chatham
    6) Maidstone

The high street has been killed by poxy parking, high rates and rents, lack of investment and moronic council planning.

When I go working away I get to see my fair share of hovels and they all follow a similar pattern of town centre bingo

1) Local shitarses congregating on benches with Staffordshire bull terriers, their best tracksuit bottoms, roll ups and shit tattoos and pig ugly women
    2) Charity shops, lots of them
    3) Poundland, roundapound, poundstretcher, poundworld, 99p shop
    4) A weatherspoons, complete with multiple mobility scooters parked out front
    5) Vape shops
    6) Full time mummies smoking fags, bellowing at their backwards kids or into their phones screaming at some other scumlord
    7) A family congregating, completely blocking all routes through trying to put smoke and put shout each other
    8) The local pain in the arse beggar. In Chathams case local celebrity and con man Billy the quid. These people are condescendingly mocked and shouted at by local divs who treat them like a local hero when in reality they are anything but.
    9) The local nutter walking up and down either singing or ranting loudly itching for eye contact to cause a scene
    10) The one that saddens me and angers me in equal measure. Some poor sod receiving medical attention whilst being filmed by what has become of humanity
    11) Turkish barbers

Would rank Chatham above Strood... Bigger town yet absolute dive; Pentagon Centre Car Park is the most rank place I've ever had to leave my car

Not to mention the strong stench of piss as you walk down the stairs
  • Options

Carter said:

Most town centres are shitholes. Out of the ones to mince down where I live I'll rank in order of shitholeyness

1) Sheerness
    2) Sittingbourne
    3) Gillingham
    4) Strood
    5) Chatham
    6) Maidstone

The high street has been killed by poxy parking, high rates and rents, lack of investment and moronic council planning.

When I go working away I get to see my fair share of hovels and they all follow a similar pattern of town centre bingo

1) Local shitarses congregating on benches with Staffordshire bull terriers, their best tracksuit bottoms, roll ups and shit tattoos and pig ugly women
    5) Vape shops
    6) Full time mummies smoking fags, bellowing at their backwards kids or into their phones screaming at some other scumlord
    7) A family congregating, completely blocking all routes through trying to put smoke and put shout each other
    8) The local pain in the arse beggar. In Chathams case local celebrity and con man Billy the quid. These people are condescendingly mocked and shouted at by local divs who treat them like a local hero when in reality they are anything but.
    9) The local nutter walking up and down either singing or ranting loudly itching for eye contact to cause a scene
    10) The one that saddens me and angers me in equal measure. Some poor sod receiving medical attention whilst being filmed by what has become of humanity
    11) Turkish barbers

Would rank Chatham above Strood... Bigger town yet absolute dive; Pentagon Centre Car Park is the most rank place I've ever had to leave my car

I don't mark any car park, anywhere down for smelling of piss in fact there is only a car park in derby I have been to that doesn't smell of piss because it is locked and nobody, even those who park there have a job to gain entry. If you thought that one was rank you are yet to taste the Rhode street multi storey or the one above the old Tescos. The Wilkinsons one next to the pentagon is ok.

Chatham is better than Strood, but there is a gnats dick in it
  • Options

Morecambe
    Blackpool

Larne
    Strabane
    Upperlands
    Dungiven
    New Buildings
    Glengormley
    Lurgan
    Portadown/Craigavon

I guess most towns have their plus and minus points. I go to Preston quite a bit and hated it at first, but it's growing on me. You're right about the area around the 'award winning' bus station - I wonder if they'll ever finish the building work that's been going on for years. Other parts are ok, though. The Harris Gallery is great for a town that size and Avenham Park is an absolute joy. If you want seedy and horrid though, I suggest you try The Twelve Tellers after about 8pm - well, any time of day I suspect really.
  • Options
    Carter said:

1) Sheerness
    2) Sittingbourne
    3) Gillingham
    4) Strood
    5) Chatham
    6) Maidstone

5) Vape shops
    11) Turkish barbers

#4 cracked me up!
  • Options
    Stig said:

Morecambe
    Blackpool

Larne
    Strabane
    Upperlands
    Dungiven
    New Buildings
    Glengormley
    Lurgan
    Portadown/Craigavon

I guess most towns have their plus and minus points. I go to Preston quite a bit and hated it at first, but it's growing on me. You're right about the area around the 'award winning' bus station - I wonder if they'll ever finish the building work that's been going on for years. Other parts are ok, though. The Harris Gallery is great for a town that size and Avenham Park is an absolute joy. If you want seedy and horrid though, I suggest you try The Twelve Tellers after about 8pm - well, any time of day I suspect really.
    I do actually quite like Preston, there's a kind of faded elegance there, mist obvious if you raise your eyes above street level.

Spent time there doing research, but a student in Lancaster (always did my best to be heading out of town before the "attractions" were in full flow), because bus travel suited, I got quite familiar with the bus station, emerging into Morrison's always seemed a bit odd.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Morecambe
    Blackpool

Larne
    Strabane
    Upperlands
    Dungiven
    New Buildings
    Glengormley
    Lurgan
    Portadown/Craigavon

Why do you keep going to crap places, you must choose more carefully :smiley:
    What can I say?

I used to drive for Securicor Omega/DHL - home shopping and mobile phone delivery opens up a whole new World of oddness.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:

1) Sheerness
    2) Sittingbourne
    3) Gillingham
    4) Strood
    5) Chatham
    6) Maidstone

5) Vape shops
    11) Turkish barbers

These Turkish barbers are popping up everywhere
    Only have 6 shops in the Kentish village where I live and now one is a Turkish barbers
  • Options
    Tonbridge. Only half decent area is around the castle, the rest of the high street is filled with poundlands by day, and m-kat gurning zombies at night.

Anywhere south of tooting in the london boroughs i look absolutely dire, someone mentioned mitcham earlier in the thread. I actually regretted driving through it once, let alone actually visiting.
  • Options

Luton , Bedford and Stevenage. Three of the most depressing town centres in the country.

Born in Luton, now live near stevenage after 15 years in Totnes...WTF am I thinking
  • Options

Carter said:

1) Sheerness
    2) Sittingbourne
    3) Gillingham
    4) Strood
    5) Chatham
    6) Maidstone

5) Vape shops
    11) Turkish barbers

Only have 6 shops in the Kentish village where I live and now one is a Turkish barbers
    Growth of ear hair?
  • Options
    Carter said:

1) Sheerness
    2) Sittingbourne
    3) Gillingham
    4) Strood
    5) Chatham
    6) Maidstone

5) Vape shops
    11) Turkish barbers

how so disappointingly accurate
  • Options
    Obviously it's not in the UK, but I was at Pireaus yesterday. It's the port near Athens. There were muck-smeared 2-3 year old children sleeping and begging on the streets. Graffiti on every square inch of the place. Smelled like Bangkok. Made our roughest town centres seem vibrant.
  • Options
    Crayford, currently, it’s a car park
  • Options
    Boscombe used to be dire, think they've tried to take it upmarket in recent years though. Was full of drug addled scousers for some reason.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Stevenage, guaranteed sightings of @Carters 10 combat indicators of shitness plus an indoor market.*

*the term market should not in anyway imply the availability of fresh produce
  • Options
    Coventry.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fattmatt said:

Obviously it's not in the UK, but I was at Pireaus yesterday. It's the port near Athens. There were muck-smeared 2-3 year old children sleeping and begging on the streets. Graffiti on every square inch of the place. Smelled like Bangkok. Made our roughest town centres seem vibrant.

Piraeus was not exactly having a brilliant time after Greece's financial run in with the EU but now the refugee situation on top of that it's horrendous
  • Options

Carter said:

1) Sheerness
    2) Sittingbourne
    3) Gillingham
    4) Strood
    5) Chatham
    6) Maidstone

5) Vape shops
    11) Turkish barbers

Minus the spoons (it has various other shite chain pubs instead) this literally describes Caterham in Surrey to a tee, and sadly like Carts says, almost every town centre in the country these days.
  • Options
    fattmatt said:

Poor kids that's terrible :(
  • Options

Croydon said:

If you saw the guy on the bike attack the feller in the car with a machete recently then welcome to London road West Croydon which is the Pits.
    The Mayday hospital is in that road so victims can get help quickly after being mugged or attacked.

West Croydon: shocking
    Central Croydon: grim
    South Croydon: beautiful with some of the nicest people you could ever meet.

Sanderstead is nice, but the South End strip has some absolute creatures come Friday/Saturday night

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    But Sanderstead doesn't even have a pub.
    That's true blackpool72,
    Being a village inhabited by Quakers a few centuries back (some Plymouth brethren still live locally) a by-law stated there could be no public houses selling alcohol in Sanderstead.
    So you have to go to Warlingham green in one direction or South Croydon nearer the Brighton Road to find a Pub.
  • Options

Carter said:

1) Sheerness
    2) Sittingbourne
    3) Gillingham
    4) Strood
    5) Chatham
    6) Maidstone

5) Vape shops
    11) Turkish barbers

Shatham all day long. Best (worst?) example of everything that is wrong with the world today.

• Options
    fattmatt said:

Same as Lisbon. I went there to watch Sporting Lisbon / Rapid Vienna in a European fixture. We had kids in torn clothes begging in the area immediately around the ground
  • Options
    fattmatt said:

Sounds like it hasn’t changed much from when we were there in 2004!

• Options

Glouster.

Is it because the shops in GLOUCESTER don't sell your cardigans.
  • Options

fattmatt said:

Same as Lisbon. I went there to watch Sporting Lisbon / Rapid Vienna in a European fixture. We had kids in torn clothes begging in the area immediately around the ground
    If we're going international then I give you... Naples. The trashiest town in Europe if not the world.
  • Options

Well that escalated quickly! ;-)

Can we stick to towns? Even St David's Wells, Ripon and St Asaph should be excluded from consideration!